iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MD127 edger only to follow log bow?

Started by cleargrain, August 18, 2012, 12:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cleargrain

Howdy,

Anyone with a mobile dimension tried running it with just the large edger blade on?
I have several bowed maples, about 8" in diameter, that I want to try to follow the bow with the saw to produce a headboard and a couple decorative trim arches.  I was thinking of taking the main blade off, clamping the log with the bow/arch flat, and trying to follow the bow of the log with the large edger to produce some arched 2x6 and 1x6.

-Scott
AK mill powered by either an 066 or an 075, '79 MD 127, Allis Chalmers 655 tracked loader/backhoe

DanG

I don't see why that wouldn't work, Scott.  Just take your time and follow the curve with the crossfeed.  Are you planning to leave them live-edged?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

cleargrain

Dan,

Probably 1/2 and 1/2 on the live edge.  Depends where it comes off the log.  If the edge doesn't have a huge amount of taper, I'll leave it on, otherwise I might take it off with a jigsaw or handplane.

-Scott
AK mill powered by either an 066 or an 075, '79 MD 127, Allis Chalmers 655 tracked loader/backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!