iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Throttle cable for brush saw ( Stihl FS 130 )

Started by Madman_Mark, October 04, 2012, 07:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madman_Mark

I have to replace the throttle cable on my Stihl FS 130 brush saw and was wondering how easy this is to do,havent really had a chance to look at it yet. Can I do this myself or should I bring it to the shop ?Thanks

taylorsmissbeehaven

I am not familiar with that model but my Dad replaced the one on his FS 90 about a year ago. Some frustration,some foul language, but I saw him using it a couple days ago so I'd say it all worked out. Might as well try. Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

beenthere

When you have a chance to look at it, give us a quick report how well you think you can do.   ;D

If this was my SIL asking the question, then I'd be thinking differently as he is challenged (bless his heart) with a flat blade screw driver. ;) 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

What's the trouble with the old one? Tip broke off or is it sticking? If it is sticking I just work some Blue Creeper (BC) into it on the throttle end. Take it apart and work the cable in and out after a few squeezes of BC where the cable goes in the housing.  I've had this brush saw for a few years now and just lube it once in awhile with BC. ;D

On mine the handle is split in two halves, the trigger is spring loaded and the opposite (palm) side has a trigger lock mechanism with a smaller spring. Don't over tighten the halves or it will bind. Also, mine has a tension adjust that you insert a flat head screw driver into a slot to tighten the tension on the cable. If you can't fix a throttle cable then don't touch nothing else. :D ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Madman_Mark

The old one finally broke back near the carb,I was watching it for the last few weeks waiting for it to break,it was a bit "frayed' and finally broke. So I assume the whole cable needs to be replaced does it ? I have another FS130 that I'll use for now.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sablatnic

It isn't not VERY difficult, but being a Stihl, the handle has a lot of springs in it. Don't drop any of them! Been there, done that!!

Thank You Sponsors!