iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hemlock vs SYP

Started by 123maxbars, October 24, 2012, 02:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

Posting this question for a customer. He is wanting to fence in his farm and will be needing several thousand bf of fencing boards (1x6x10) He is replacing an old fence that has seen its better days.  He has been wanting to do it with Hemlock but it is getting harder to find.  I got in a truck load of good straight SYP logs today.  He is now considering doing it with the SYP. He will be painting them as soon as he installs them.  This is an old time farmer who loves using green wood, so he will be hanging it as soon as it comes.  I prefer myself SYP over hemlock but was wanting some input from you guys on which one would do better for a fence. This would be for the boards only, the post I have already milled for him and are in the ground.  Thanks for any input. 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

POSTON WIDEHEAD

What did you mill for the post?

If this guy paints green Pine, go ahead and put up a tomb stone beside the fence.  :)
It will rot from the inside out.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

123maxbars

For the post he wanted white chestnut oak. I milled them into 4x4x8. He treated them with his own methods before putting them into the ground.  I don't endorse my customers methods, i just saw what they order  ???
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: 123maxbars on October 24, 2012, 08:18:25 PM
  I don't endorse my customers methods, i just saw what they order  ???
Good rule of thumb.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Planman1954

I would suggest to him (if using SYP) to let the boards air dry for a couple of months. Then paint all the boards at once before installing. Also, I would strongly suggest using 3" drywall type screws for installation to the posts...it is much more effective than nails. You can check a thread I did called 4 board fence, I think. It was done all with SYP, and is in good shape today.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

stavebuyer

I'd look a little harder for the hemlock and would stain rather than paint...

red oaks lumber

is the customer buying the lumber from you? if so, you should find hemlock, that seems to be the wishes of the customer.you need to be very clear with him about the rot issues before starting, that way when, not if rot starts you have your back covered.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Thank You Sponsors!