iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Busted our Wood-Mizer

Started by Bibbyman, December 03, 2012, 04:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Over 5500 hours, 10 years and a couple million board feet sawn, something has to give out. This adjustment bolt broke because nut in bed rail was pushed in.

This was the major damage – nut weld cracked and nut pushed in.

I straightened up the nut and welded it back in and repaired the cracks and puddled the dent full – thinking it would re-enforce it. New bolt was made by taking a standard hex head bolt and welding two heavy washers on the head.

I discovered the damage a day or two after sawing this big red oak log.  It was  10' long and some 30" dia.

Pretty nice log.  Squared down to 18"x18". 

If the repair lasts another 10 years and two more million board feet,  I won't complain.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

MotorSeven

Wow, what a cheap piece of garbage....WM should be ashamed :D ;D

I am still amazed at how much punishment a mill can take and still cut perfect boards :)
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Jeff

QuoteIf the repair lasts another 10 years and two more million board feet,  I won't complain.

If it don't we'll know who to blame. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Now you're gonna have me looking at my little bolts.  :)

Good thing you could fix it in-house. Probably not much down time.

Good job Bib and Mary!  smiley_thumbsup

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bibbyman

I don't want to brag on it because you know what happens. But I'm constantly impressed at the use, abuse,neglect and punishment this mill has taken over the years.

The souped up hydraulics has to push everything harder.

It seems when you turn the big cants, the back end pushes up high and then drops hard.  Back in my younger days I could figure the impact of a cant dropped from a foot off the bed.
Sawing since '94

Ljohnsaw

How big is your electric motor?  I'm assuming 240 service.  Is it running the blade as well as your hydaulics?  Do you feel it is too small, just right or over sized?
Thanks,
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

ronwood

Bibbyman,

Is there a bolt missing in the first picture Upper right hand corner?

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

customsawyer

Bibby I am with you. The fact that I overload my mill every day and that it holds together simply amazes me.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bibbyman

Quote from: ronwood on December 03, 2012, 06:41:47 PM
Bibbyman,

Is there a bolt missing in the first picture Upper right hand corner?

Ron

I'd already taken it out before taking the picture.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Quote from: ljohnsaw on December 03, 2012, 05:50:27 PM
How big is your electric motor?  I'm assuming 240 service.  Is it running the blade as well as your hydaulics?  Do you feel it is too small, just right or over sized?
Thanks,

25 HP 3ph. 220v single phase running a Ronk phase converter. Big enough.

Power pack hydraulic pump has 7.5 HP 3ph motor and produces 6 gpm @ 2000 paid.  Moves things right along.
Sawing since '94

MReinemann

Thought you busted it.  Looks like a maintenance item to me.   :)  Nice work with the repair.
-Matt

drobertson

bibby, as a show me kinda guy, I am real proud of you!  thanks for the post.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

You should be OK.  When I bought my sawmill, it had been used sawing cants at a commercial sawmill.  They regularly loaded it with the sawmill loaders, sometimes dropping the logs on the bed.  The swing arms and bolt underneath had really taken a beating, and some welding and building up was necessary.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Solomon

Judging by your pictures Bibby, its time to start shoveling some saw dust. smiley_inspector
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

There's probably Hundred Dollar Bills mixed in that sawdust.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bibbyman

Quote from: Magicman on December 03, 2012, 08:43:45 PM
You should be OK.  When I bought my sawmill, it had been used sawing cants at a commercial sawmill.  They regularly loaded it with the sawmill loaders, sometimes dropping the logs on the bed.  The swing arms and bolt underneath had really taken a beating, and some welding and building up was necessary.

There is nothing harder on equipment than letting someone run it that doesn't own it.
Sawing since '94

clww

Glad to see you got her fixed up quickly, in-house, Bibby. You'll have to keep Mary from abusing the equipment so much. :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

waho

Bibby, what are you using the phase converter for?

Bibbyman

Quote from: waho on December 03, 2012, 09:19:05 PM
Bibby, what are you using the phase converter for?

We only have single phase electric service.  The motor on the mill is three phase.  The phase converter takes in single phase power and produces three phase.
Sawing since '94

waho

Thanks, that's what I thought. A few post's up you said 25HP 3 ph. Had me confused.

waho

Never mind the last post. Can't read.

Chuck White

Good fix Bib!

Another couple of million bf and you'll probably have to do it again!  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

paul case

Quote from: Solomon on December 03, 2012, 08:54:39 PM
Judging by your pictures Bibby, its time to start shoveling some saw dust. smiley_inspector

I kinda think he is ok for a while.
You should see the mess under my lt40. I have had to rake out from underneath the turner and clamp and bottom rail near the axle 3 times just to keep going. I probably have a 15yard dump truck full of bark and sawdust under and around my mill. Yep I need to clean it out, but anyone can look at it and see it works. ;D
Bibbyman,
Glad ya got it fixed. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bandmiller2

Twentyfive three phase is considerable overkill. [no harm though]I've got a 15hp three phase running the band and hydraulic pump.The motor never gets more than warm.If I recall the LT-70 ,I ran, also had 25hp.Woodmizer engineering is a cut above most,if you break something blame the guy that watches you shave in the morning.Bibbs is right an owner/operator is the best sawyer. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

moosehunter

Bibby, is that sag in your live chain just from wear or did something happen to it? Is there any problem with it binding like that?

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Thank You Sponsors!