iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

School me on cutting black walnut

Started by Woodsrover, December 07, 2012, 06:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

learner

Got this in Monday and can't hardly wait to get into it.  Their ALL going to be a challenge!  :D  Any advice on the best way to slice them up would be appreciated.  Did I mention how much I Love this forum and the people here?    :)

WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

Larry

Green walnut, now who would ever thunk of such a thing? :D

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

5quarter

I get alot of that blue/green look around here in younger trees growing near the river. I'm guessing its some sort of mineral staining. turns Kinda grey as it dries. Learner...those are gonna make some real interesting boards.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

I get some pretty dark chocolate brown around here, but too much sapwood.  :-\
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

dboyt

Woodsrover, did you plane and put a finish on the boards, then put them back on the sawmill?  I've cut some pretty walnut, but none that looked like that.  I see you're a fellow Norwood sawyer.  Good choice!

I recommend Anchorseal to seal up the ends of the logs and prevent checking, if you can do it shortly after cutting the logs.

Learner, try to cut across the crotches in the walnut to the extent you can.  That's where the pretty grain is.  Take your time in clamping them down.  I hate it when a short piece rolls on me while I'm in the middle of a cut... does funny things to the blade!   Here's a link to a post I made earlier, showing how I cut short crotches, and what the end product looks like.  Good luck.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,62133.msg917183.html#msg917183
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Woodsrover

Quote from: dboyt on December 13, 2012, 04:23:40 PM
Woodsrover, did you plane and put a finish on the boards, then put them back on the sawmill?  I've cut some pretty walnut, but none that looked like that.  I see you're a fellow Norwood sawyer.  Good choice!

No, that board is just wet.  I washed all these slabs down before I put them up to get all the sawdust and such off them.  I had some staining from these band in the past and I wanted to avoid that.  I did use a new band and they did saw up pretty nice.  And yes, I really like my Norwood!  Thanks!

I do have a cool old Parks planer from the 50s or 60s and these slabs will see that next summer.  Can't wait until they dry!

learner

Quote from: WDH on December 13, 2012, 07:58:32 AM
Learner,

Almost no sapwood!

;D  That's the FIRST thing I noticed too!  It's 1 and 1/4" so that leaves 36" in the middle on the big one.  Thankyou dboyt.  I told my partner(Dad) that the one on top with the crotch was MINE!  :D  I don't care if it takes me all day, I'm gonna saw her slow and easy.  I've had a log roll on me before so I know all about making sure it's clamped good.  Oh, and I allready saw that post of yours.  It was the inspiration for my clamping ideas!  But thanks for reminding me.  I'm definately going to take lots of pics to show everyone.  Many thanks guys. 
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

SawyerBrown

Woodsrover, just got into this string ... that walnut is just stinkin' gorgeous!  As a woodworker, I'd love to do something with the marked contrast between heart and sap (maybe a table, or even a bar).  Will make somebody a real conversation piece!  I know a guy who uses some sapwood in walnut in Maloof-style rocking chairs, and it's fabulous.

How's the drying going?
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WIwoodworker on December 07, 2012, 10:46:14 AM
I just flat saw it 6/4 and 8/4 depending on what the boards are looking like as they come off the log. My goal is to create good book matched sets. Then I just sticker it and stack it. As Okra said, walnut is very forgiving and hard to mess up. Good luck!

On this reply (#4), on WIwoodworker's second photo, my daughter says the end of the stacked lumber looks like Mickey Mouse.  :)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Woodsrover

Thought I'd show you guys what became of that black walnut I ran through the mill almost two years ago.  Don't mind the ugly chairs.  New ones are on the way.  And no, I'm not clever enough to make chairs!

Magicman

Pretty table and nice craftsmanship. 8)  Your lumber should be proud.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Love it.  The few little streaks of sapwood really add eye appeal.  Is that an oil finish?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ga Mtn Man

Nice job! Looks like a solid, well built table.  Love the simple lines.

Did you allow for movement (expansion and contraction) of the top...  ???
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Woodsrover

Quote from: WDH on August 14, 2014, 08:35:26 PM
Love it.  The few little streaks of sapwood really add eye appeal.  Is that an oil finish?

Oil-based CWP and a couple coats of wax.  I'll wax it a few more times over the next couple of weeks.  We have an almost 4 year-old and an 8 month-old...I expect this table to show some wear over the next few years!

Woodsrover

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on August 14, 2014, 08:39:06 PM
Nice job! Looks like a solid, well built table.  Love the simple lines.

Did you allow for movement (expansion and contraction) of the top...  ???

Thanks.  Simple lines for a simple not-much-of-a-carpenter!

WDH

I like simplicity too.  Very well proportioned. 

Woodsrover

Made this table a few weeks ago too.  The wood is old pine barn beams from a 100+ year old barn that got torn down a couple years ago.  I may or may not have hit a couple nails slabbing these up.   ::)  The frame is 1x2 box steel welded together and painted satin black.

WDH

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

BCsaw

And that's the way it should be done..........mill it, then build it!

Nice job on both tables.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

mikeb1079

that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

biggkidd

Echo 330 T, Echo 510, Stihl Farm Boss, Dolmar 7900, Jinma 354 W/ FEL, & TPH Backhoe, 1969 M35A2,  1970 Cat D4
Building a Band Mill  :)

rasman57

Well done!  Those are nice looking tables made with some very cool wood.

36 coupe

Quote from: Woodsrover on December 07, 2012, 06:46:53 AM
A tree surgeon friend of mine gave me a call yesterday...Seems a dropped a pretty nice black walnut the other day and couldn't see blocking it up for firewood so he gave me a call.  It's now in the back of my truck in two 6'+ sections awaiting my sawmill.  They're not huge...one is 20" on the big end, 17" on the small and the other is 17" to 15".  There's between 2" and 3" of sapwood around the dark heartwood.

My question is, how should I cut this stuff to get the nicest wood, and stuff that will dry straight?  I'm assuming I want to end up with boards that have no sapwood on them?  Is it going to be ok just flat-sawing this or should I try to quarter-saw it, (though its not that big so that would be tricky).  I've got a couple nice logs here and I don't want to waste it.

When it gets light out I'll post a couple photos of them.
Black walnut sawdust is toxic to plants so keep it out of the garden.

Thank You Sponsors!