iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Global warming and its effect on your sawing / logging

Started by Quebecnewf, December 28, 2012, 05:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

How is global warming affecting your operations.

For me it's a real pain in the ...... We no longer get cold weather like we used to and a lot less snow as well. This means less time logging and less logs. I would imagine in some places it is a bonus but not here. We have very little snow and no ice frozen yet. So my take on global warming is it sucks.  How about you???

Quebecnewf

jueston

i read somewhere that if the globe warmed up 2° then there would be 5% more farmable land.... like almost all things involved in global warming, i have no idea how factual it is.

i feel like this post might not last long... lots of heated opinions on this topic....

JohnM

I think it sucks as well, largely due to the fact I really enjoy reading about your adventures up there Quebecnewf! ;D

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Sawdust Lover

I grew up in northern Vermont and I do remember some pretty hard winters. I have since moved to southwest Va. thinking I was moving to warmer climate. We have had some really cold winters here and I have seen as much snow as when I lived in Vermont 20 years ago. Everyone has there own opinion on global warming but I dont think it's affecting Virginia. Just my say! I'm sure not having the snow is hard on logging for you though. We used to look forward to the ground freezing so we could get to the wetter areas and get wood out.

red oaks lumber

for me i love it! less cold, less snow.less money oh wait that last one isn't in that category :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Bandmill Bandit

IMHO!!

Global warming is a crock of the stuff you chuck out be hind the barn when you muck out the stalls all winter. Just that the pile has been getting real big cause no one has hauled it out to the field for a few years.

Climate change is another matter and was around long before any thing lived on this planet and has so little to do with the life on this planet that you could compare it too the effect this planet has on universe.

The north west passage was navigated between 1903 - 1906 by Roald Amundsen for the first time in history and then was not "very open" most of the time again until 2009. And that is after 11 years of temperature stability and indications that the reverse is actually underway.

Global warming is about as serious as Y2K. Climate change is about as serious as LIFE on this planet. The former is untenable. the later has little to nothing to do with the LIFE on this planet. This does not give us rein to destructively exploit the resources of the planet as we are to be stewards and care takers.

Every thing on this planet runs in cycles. What I find interesting is that no one seems to want to accept that any more. Just wait a few years. We will see winters as good (or bad) as there were in the 20 th century and winters as bad ( or good)  as they were in the mid to late 19th century.

The only thing that has changed is media coverage of crap that is better left unreported on global scale. This is the only thing the global warming should be contributed too. It is just way to much hot Air to do any of the residents of this fair planet any good.

Protecting our water and food supply is another matter and being the stewards we should be will go miles to stopping this spiral into oblivion AND that will look after the atmosphere better than any thing else the human race could do.

Just to be sure there is no misunderstanding this is MY Not so humble opinion!!!
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

redlaker1

quebecnewf     greetings from northwestern ontario
         I guess we didnt get the memo about global warming here,   I was on the ice with my halfton on dec 15th.      but we sure havent got as much snow as we usually do,   that can change in a matter of days though.     
the guys here have been out hauling wood with the sleds for a while now.    which reminds me about your fancy new sleds you have.    I am about to do new teflon runners on my wood sleigh in the next week or so.   because my friends mill is on an island.

Left Coast Chris

We are much wetter this year.  14 inches in Dec.  Thats about double the average.  Our summers have been more mild regarding heat wave amplitude and duration.   We have also had a little bit of rain in the summer which is unusual.   A few more people moved out of the state than in so the pluses are outweighing the minusus so far.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

drobertson

Not much global warming here, misty rain turned into several inches of snow not like you are use to, but white and wet the same, this weather makes it hard for our loggers. Nothing frozen, and allot of mush.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

clww

Around here, the summers are hotter and longer lasting. The winters are not as cold as in the past, either. This is over the previous 25 years that I personally have been keeping extensive weather data. Call it "climate change" or "global warming", either way, I don't see it as being a myth.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

My Father would talk about using sleds on the roads and in the woods. He was born in 1923. He would say we would look some pretty trying to get the wood out in this weather with a sled. The winters are not what they use to be. Yes,we may get snow,but will warm up at times and rain and melt most of it away. We use to get a killing frost the first part of Sept. We could count on that. Last year we did not get a killing frost here until Oct. Deer season in Nov has been very warm. I can remember it being below freezing was normal.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JohnM

Quote from: clww on December 28, 2012, 07:10:50 PM
Around here, the summers are hotter and longer lasting. The winters are not as cold as in the past, either. This is over the previous 25 years that I personally have been keeping extensive weather data. Call it "climate change" or "global warming", either way, I don't see it as being a myth.
+1

I'd like to see Glacier National Park before they have to change the name to High Lakes N.P.  ;)  I knew something was up 15-20yrs ago when vultures started showing up around here.

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Migal

From what I believe sitting in my cozy hut.  :) To much knowledge on a misunderstood subject  :D When the dog days of august hit we as humans just turn down the AC When the winter months hit we as humans just don on our latest and greatest apparel get in our super duty 4x4's and complain we can't find deep enough snow LOL Well I for one have no Idea what it was like 1000 year's ago with out the luxury's  and I don't put much faith in the end of the world 12 21 2012 either so I as a human will deal with tomorrow as it comes and thank the Good Lord that I'm here to enjoy what ever it is . Oh don't forget the grit's they haven't changed much either maybe a little quicker to make  8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Magicman

Quebecnewf, I really hate how this weather pattern is affecting your logging operation.  I know that you need to get your logs out, and I know that I enjoyed your narratives and pictures showing your operation.  I do not know what alternatives that you may have.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

shelbycharger400

Not shure about you guys, but I prefer to cut trees when their is NO snow.
This year their is snow on the ground., not gettin anything done. 

Jay C. White Cloud

If the ground doesn't freeze, and we get no snow, logging "sucks bad," in this part of the country, all the loggers want snow for now, because last year was bad too.  I know here more and more folks believe'n that something ain't right about "Old Man Winter."  No pack ice forming in some areas, and glaciers 100's of thousand of year old, just plane disappear'n and gone. Our loggers here in Vermont aren't a happy lot.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Magicman

Quebecnewf has to have snow and ice.  Without both, he is not able to get his logs.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

roger 4400

Hi Paul !
I'll wish you some cold and snow for 2013, so you will be able to use your new sleds  ;)
For myself (a few hundred miles from you) we had a lot of snow for the last 10 days we had like 3 feet of snow....almost every day I was using my tractor  8). I'm very worry about all the deers on my other lot, in 2008 they almost disapeared and this winter seems very bad for them, over 3 feet of snow in a short period of time is bad, they cannot make their trails.....
Last summer was dry and real warm ,now winter seems agressive up to now not too cold but wet snow, I wish the wind will carry some snow to you so you will do some logging. Season greetings to you and your wife,and to all the forum members and readers. Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

Kansas

Global warming or whatever, last winter we needed cottonwood. Had a nice patch to move into. Problem was, the guy is a no till farmer, and its across a field. It had to be frozen for us to do it, they don't want anyone tracking on their field, even if its dry. It never froze. It was dry, but that wasn't good enough.

Delawhere Jack

pineywoods

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on December 29, 2012, 09:39:49 AM
Solar cycle.

Yep, old sol goes through 11 year cycles and there is a lot of difference from the peaks to the valleys...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi Folks,

Talk about "hitting the hornet's nest," well I've got my stick, "my left foot in hand," and my "mouth is open," lets see how many of you get "riled," at me.

I come at this from an angle that few get too.  Besides being a timber wright, I grew up in, practicing and teaching, what for me as a child, was just the way you live.  Now they call it "survival training," "bush-craft," or what my resume' calls, "indigenous life skills."  What all that crap means is, I have, do and will always live more in the forest, swamps and deserts of this planet, than I will in one of the structures I craft.  Hell, for last 50 some odd years, I have been outside more than in, and in the last 40 years, that would be a 360+/24 hours/day.  I don't even sleep inside, so my perspective on this is a little unusual. I just came into the cabin, to check the phone and grab this lap top computer, "tech," has changed many things, like being able to write this and have it read by folks in a lot of other places, I guess that's good, but most of this "tech," has ruined the world I grew up in.

Another aspect of my life has allowed me to at times, be called a scientist or biologist.  So, beside getting all my Grammy's teach'n and the other Elders, I got to stick my nose in a lot of books and see things from a different angle.  I found that what those books taught, (though very silly sometimes,) did have some tools to see things in a fashion that was pretty nifty.  Now I take my Elder's gift of "seeing and remember," and combine that with the ability to filter through a lot of extraneous "Bull Snot," that is written, and I can tell you that we, as a species have stomped in the mud, fouled the water, and burnt the sky of this planet well enough, that we have changed it.

I see tech as a burden most of the time, but suffice it to say, I sit behind a piece of it right now, and through it, and travel, I have been able to find others like me around the glob.  We are all seeing the same thing, and coming to the same conclusion, "It's a change'n out there and we did it."  Does the planet go through cycles? Yes.  Do big frig'n rocks fall out of the sky and smack us back a million years? Yes. Is there evidence that our poles reverse, that we had been a jungle for millions of years and an ocean for almost as long? Yes.  None of that is germane to what is happen'n now, and boys and girls, I don't care what the heck you call it, it's happen'n, and like a big tankers ship, we ain't turn'n it around before it's hits the dock.

Now lets be clear, I am not a "doom's day," monger or pessimist.  I believe, if we put our minds behind it and stop disrespecting each other and this chunk of rock and water we have been give'n to live on, things could be livable.  At this point all the "finger point'n," "denying," "blaming," and "pretending," isn't gonna get a darned thing done.  There is something behind the barn, and we put it there, now it's time to deal with how badly we have behaved.  We need to clean our act up the best we can, and deal with the changes that are coming, not waste energy arguing about it.

I burnt Sage this morning and said my prayers, now I will do what little I can to help.  If each of us do, things will get better, or "mother nature," will shake us off like the bad "head cold," we have been acting like, and move on.

Regards,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Understandable.  If we stand and look and do nothing, we will fail.  If we reach out and hold hands, we may succeed.

Thank You Sponsors!