iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Metal Detectors

Started by GF, March 31, 2004, 06:46:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GF

Anyone have any good suggestion on what brand of metal detector would be used for detecting metal in logs?  Curious as to what brands everyone uses.

Frank_Pender

You bet.  I purchased a Ren 3 or 4 years ago and have had great success with it.  I have been able to even find poser lines in the ground 4' plus without any trouble.  I have detected metal from one side to another in a 3' tree.  I purchased a Model 3000.   It has been a very good investment for  my operation.

Woopes, I almost forgot.  While at the Oregon Logging Conference last month I spoke with the reps of the company, as it is based out of Creswell, Oregon.  I had mentioned that I has lost my battery charging mechanism and they immediately handed me a new one without charge.  I felt so guilty about not paying them anything, that whenI got home that evening, I began searching my entire 70 actre Timber Farm and found the original.  The next day I returned the free unit and thanked them very much.  What a company. 8)
Frank Pender

Jason_WI

If you don't want to spend a ton of money Harbor Freight has a 6 function metal detector for 29 bux and a 9 function for 49 bux.

Most of what you are going to find is either nails or deck screws so all those fancy features are really not needed.

What is needed is a powerful coil to get the depth on larger logs. Having a curved coil like the REN has is nice but you can still find the iron with a flat bottom coil. I really don't know why the charge so DanG much it is just a coil of magnet wire formed in a special way.

I'm sure Harold will have something to add to this post.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

oakiemac

I don't know a bunch about metal detecting, but on the more expensive models you are paying for discrimination circuits and for a cone shaped detection "signal". These features allow you to find metal easier.
I haven't bought one yet, but from talking with others the cheap ones aren't worth the money. Like anyother tool it is usually better to pay the money and get something usefull.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Minnesota_boy

I like to use my Woodmizer DoubleHard blades.  If I put on a fresh one, it seems I can find every nail in a log. ;D ;D :D

That's only half in jest.  I just finished a job of about 50Mbf and found 2 staples and a piece of bob-wire.  How long would I have spent using the metal detector to find those few pieces of metal?  How much would my time be worth?  Would I have saved money by using a metal detector?
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

MemphisLogger

Staples and bob-wire?

Them DoubleHards cut right through 'em I'm betting.

Probably cleaned 'em up too  :D
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

AtLast

I reccommend either the Garrett 2500 or the RENS...have them both.....and both do an excellant job....the Garrett has discrimination along with many other useful features to help eliminate the guess work

The RENS has no settings other than on and off and is VERY strong. I tend to use the Garrett more than the RENS because it allows me to identify depth and size and not have to question if Im simply picking up water pipes and such. I use the RENS for woodlots where I am less apt to incounter tramp metals and water pipes and such.

Fla._Deadheader

I've been holding off responding to this post.

I'm sure Frank has a good unit. It IS pricey.

The cone shaped signal is what nearly all detectors put out. The deeper the target the more accurate you need to be, and the more difficult it is to get the tip of the cone over the target.

A nail will be difficult to locate, as you are looking for a very small round spot in a log. Even a 20d nail is not very big once you get past the head.

The way to use a "Hobby" detector would be to turn the coil on it's side and scan across the top of the log, and slowly drop down to ΒΌ the thickness of the log. Then do the other 3 sides of the log the same way. You will be scanning for the sides of the nail that way, and stand a much better chance of detecting it. You should expect to get a penetration of 6" to 9" with the average "Hobby" detector. There are also "tricks" if anyone has a decent detector and still misses those nails.

The Garrett is one of the best detectors, but, you don't need the 2500 series. That unit is higher priced than you need. They retail for $1100.00.  We are recommending the Treasure Ace 300 model. It runs around $299.00 and doesn't have the fancy controls that the higher priced machines have. Jason is correct on that response. We have sold a couple to forum members at a discount, but, I haven't posted about it. Discretion, dontcha know ;) ::) ;D ;D

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Frank_Pender

FD, it has been about 5 years since I purchase my Rens 3000.  If I am not mistaken it set me back about $1,295, that included shipping.  Yes, is a bit high, but the investment has more than paid for itself in down time etc. in not hitting nails and such.  I have more than gotten my money back.  Some have suggested that the battery is expensive to replace.  I have not had to replace the battery in the time I have had the unit.  Very fortunate I suppose, in that regard. ;D
Frank Pender

Fla._Deadheader

Right on, Frank. The guys that have contacted me, don't want to spend $1200.00. We have machines that will do nearly what the Rens will do.

Most guys want to scan 20" trees or under. I know first hand what nails etc. will do to Circle saw teeth. The band blades have a hardened tooth and can sustain SOME nail hits, without much damage.

First, it is ridiculed;

woodbeard

I just picked up a Garrett superscanner, the wand type that they use in airports and such. Haven't got to use it much yet, but it doesn't seem to work as well as the regular, beachcombing type I rented while I was waiting for the Garrett to be shipped. Wonder if I got the wrong kind of detector?
I even tried it on a log I rejected with the first unit. It found all the same metal, but not as easily. And I knew it was there anyway.

Fla._Deadheader

George, them hand scanners is for scanning people. It doesn't get much depth, like you would need in a log.
   First, it is ridiculed;

woodbeard

Yeah, that's kinda what I was starting to think. Only gave $30 for it, used so no big deal. Maybe I can still use it for running recycled wood thru the planer.

Fla._Deadheader

THAT would be a good use, George ;) ;)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Frank_Pender

I have one of the Garrett hand helf units also.  My two sons purchased one for me about 5 years ago for a Christmas present.   ;D Then, that following January some DanG young fella stoll it while I was in Georgia.   My wife's grandson found it at a friends house and just brought it back to me a few weeks ago.  8) They changed the battery to a plane 9 volt, but I guess it takes a special kind. :-/
Frank Pender

woodbeard

I think it takes both a regular 9v and a rechargable nicad.

sawmillsi

h iguys,

we use a minelab musketeer advantage.

scans through a pine log about 18" in diameter to find a 2" nail on end.

retail in australia is about $580 AUD (i think about $450USD ish???).

its the best we can find for the price.

try google or similar as i can't remember their website.

Fla._Deadheader

Minelab makes about the best hobby detector. We used to sell them. Personality conflict with the US Service Rep., so we quit.

The signal output is an ENTIRELY different configuration on the Minelab's. It is a "Bar" shape, that runs clear across the coil, from front to back. It scans STRAIGHT down, the width and length of the center support for the coil.

We DO personally have 5 Milelab's, ranging from $550.00 to $3500.00. We dive with them and Gold Prospect with them. We do NOT sell them, but, recommend them. They WILL outperform the Garretts and Whites.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Kedwards

I was looking for a generic model not a loggers model. Has anyone had any experience with whites or other hobbyist metal detectors on the market? I dont hit metal often but it is a pain in the butt when I do. I wanted to spend less than 200 bux.

BTW ..Hello Scott! How is the urban tree biz? Been getting some super SYP lately don't know why. Tree service brought one 28" wide 14 feet long clear as a bell (3 sections)
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

MemphisLogger

Howdy Kyle!

We've been sawing A LOT of oak--mostly for homowners/woodworkers use--it seems that a large number of the Memphis Red Oak population is coming up on 100-150 years-old. Many lost branches and/or suffered upper trunk splitting in a freak windstorm last summer and arborists are advising that many should just come down.  :'(

Most of these oaks seemingly spent the first fifty years of their life growin up slow in the understory, got released 50-75 years and then spent their old age in closed canopy conditions. We typically get 2 30"-50" diameter 9' logs out of each tree. We almost always quartersaw.  ;D

Many if not most of the homeowners are paying us to saw the lumber for them and then using the wood for flooring and trim in remodeling or addition projects or commissioning us to build cabinets and furniture using their wood. A few woodworkers are taking advantage of us to stock up themselves.

For ourselves and resale, we've been focusing on Cherry, Walnut, QS White Oak and "rare" specimens of extraordinary species.  :)    

Whenever I get my payback from Uncle Sam  8), we're going to build a DH kiln and then start working towards that Logosol moulder you've got. (I wish we had a state gov'nt that saw the wisdom of hookin us landfill savers up with the goods!)  ;)

We're lookin for a good detector too--my artifact collection is getting way too big  :-[

Anyhow, we're gonna catch up with you someday  :-*      

Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

AtLast

I still recommend the GARRETT. Any 1 of their models will get the job done. Have you tried E-Bay?

Kedwards

thats a good idea.. garrett or whites and I dont need to find the diamond ring my great granny lost a 150 years ago in the pnd.. :D just something that finds ferrous material
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

DR Buck

I have a Whites  Spectrum XLT.  Got it a few years before  the mill.   I live on a Civil War camp site.  It's a high end, high priced unit.   Tells you if it's a nail, bullet, nickel, dime, quarter or what ever and how deep.  It works great on finding nails and wire and even bullets in logs.   I haven't found  the buried jar of gold civil war coins yet though.  ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Ianab

Thought I'd revisit this topic
Surfing around tonight and found plans for a simple DIY metal detector.
It's nothing fancy, but has a decent search coil and you could probably make it from stuff in your shed. It's not like you have to tell WHAT sort of metal is in the log

http://home.clara.net/saxons/bfo.htm

Anyone ever try buildling something like this??

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

FeltzE

I got my last metal detector from Kelly Co www.kellycodetectors.com

They have a huge collection and will take some time to talk to you about what other people are using for that particular task.

I Have had good luck with them. And they carry all the brands.

Eric

Thank You Sponsors!