iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

357xp oil leak. any RKI's know how to stop this?

Started by chuckthompson, January 24, 2013, 12:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuckthompson

Like my 357xp, but it leaks almost all of the oil out of it over the course of 2 or 3 days.  I have to drain the remaining oil out when I'm done with it or it's all over the tractor, garage, saw case - anywhere I leave it sit.  Anyone have a fix for this?  The other saws that I have (no other 357's) don't seem to do this.

Thanks in advance!

beenthere

Can you trace just where on the saw it is leaking from?
And does laying the saw on its side stop the leaking?

Not sure what an RKI is, but ...........
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chuckthompson

RKI- reasonably knowledgeable individual!  Of course, being busy, I haven't tried to pin it down yet, myself! :)  just thought I'd Defer to the good folks here first. Cart before horse kind of thing!

beenthere

Check it out and get back to us....

....maybe some RKI can help with some more info. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

celliott

I have a 357XP as well, and mine also likes to mark it's territory. I don't know about leaking the whole tankfull out, but it does leak a fair bit.
I don't have a fix so I must not me a RKI  ;D
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

g_man

My 346XP did the same thing. Would empty the tank every nite. PITA big time. I removed the clutch to find the leak. It was leaking from somewhere behind the oil pump. I took out the oil pump. The leak was where the oil pickup tube went thru the oil tank wall behind the oil pump.
I pulled pickup tube out. Cleaned up around the hole and put a little Gasoila soft set pipe dope around the hole. Put tube back in then reached into tank thru oil cap opening with long nosed pliers and gave the tube a yank to seat it in the hole. Reassembled pump and clutch. Has not leaked a drop for a year.
Maybe your is the same way.

chuckthompson

YEAH!  Thanks for the info., I'll check that out first.
Chet - Thanks for moving me to the correct forum!

AdkStihl

Temperature differences & heat from the crankcase continues to build pressure in the oil tank
J.Miller Photography

g_man

Quote from: AdkStihl on January 25, 2013, 02:13:01 PM
Temperature differences & heat from the crankcase continues to build pressure in the oil tank

That is true and would account for maybe a teaspoon of oil that normally dribbles out after use but if you leak out a whole tank full then there is a real leak somewhere.

JohnG28

If you cross threaded the oil cap it could leak there also. I did this once and it would drain the tank in a day or two. Check and see if they're in good shape.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

bandmiller2

Many Huskies will weep,I always lay them on the side caps up.Sounds like you may have a real leak though.But anyhow get in the habit of laying them on their side. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

brent373

Quote from: g_man on January 24, 2013, 09:10:28 PM
My 346XP did the same thing. Would empty the tank every nite. PITA big time. I removed the clutch to find the leak. It was leaking from somewhere behind the oil pump. I took out the oil pump. The leak was where the oil pickup tube went thru the oil tank wall behind the oil pump.
I pulled pickup tube out. Cleaned up around the hole and put a little Gasoila soft set pipe dope around the hole. Put tube back in then reached into tank thru oil cap opening with long nosed pliers and gave the tube a yank to seat it in the hole. Reassembled pump and clutch. Has not leaked a drop for a year.
Maybe your is the same way.

My 357XP did the same since new as well, and was the same problem as is stated here. I installed a new oil hose in the sidewall of the tank and now does not leak at all.

chuckthompson

G_man - -  - - YOU WIN THE PRIZE!!!!  Yep, the rubber supply hose behind the oil pump was ever so SLIGHTLY crooked.  I did add some gasket goo, reassembled and it hasn't leaked a DROP!

Thanks all, for your helpful input!

Thank You Sponsors!