Quickie Quiz Jackpot #6 MISSION IMPOSSIBLE

Started by mesquite buckeye, February 02, 2013, 10:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giant splinter

roll with it

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: giant splinter on February 04, 2013, 10:44:07 PM
Does it have fall colors ?

Sometimes, not always....... smiley_bounce smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_blue_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bounce dadgum you, Charlie! dadgum you, Charlie! steve_smiley steve_smiley steve_smiley
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

giant splinter

roll with it

Okrafarmer

Chestnut. Sweetgum. Persimmon. Doesn't look like locust.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Jay C. White Cloud

QuoteChestnut. Sweetgum. Persimmon. Doesn't look like locust.
I bet shot guns are your favorite weapon aren't they "Okra?"   :D   ;)   ;D
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Okrafarmer

Actually, yes.  ;D Shotguns. The legal machine guns.  ;D

Mine can make 18 pellets of 00 buck come out with just one squeeze of the trigger.

So I guess I could just cut and paste the entire "List of Arizona trees" from Wikipedia!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Jay C. White Cloud

:D :D :D
I can just see okra, seething at his computer at this stage of playing with M.B. and going!!! "it's gotta be one of these...," then he just whips out the "shot gun" of tree species hoping one will be right... :D :D :D I'm laughing to hard to write.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: giant splinter on February 04, 2013, 11:19:25 PM
Desert Willow

Does look a little like it, but finer grained.

smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_blue_bounce smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_bounce smiley_bounce smiley_bounce
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Okrafarmer on February 05, 2013, 12:14:05 AM
Chestnut. Sweetgum. Persimmon. Doesn't look like locust.

None of those........ ;D ;D ;D

After all, it is MISSION IMPOSSIBLE........... ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Okrafarmer on February 05, 2013, 12:28:19 AM
Actually, yes.  ;D Shotguns. The legal machine guns.  ;D

Mine can make 18 pellets of 00 buck come out with just one squeeze of the trigger.

So I guess I could just cut and paste the entire "List of Arizona trees" from Wikipedia!

Doesn't that exceed your 2nd ammendment rights? Do you own a submarine or nuclear weapons as well? ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

Big Brother is watching......... :( 8) 8) 8)

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on February 05, 2013, 02:49:00 AM
:D :D :D
I can just see okra, seething at his computer at this stage of playing with M.B. and going!!! "it's gotta be one of these...," then he just whips out the "shot gun" of tree species hoping one will be right... :D :D :D I'm laughing to hard to write.

:D ;D dadgum you, Charlie! smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_gossip smiley_gossip popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley

Okrafarmer

Smoke tree.

"What has it got in its pocketses?"  >:(

Jay C. White Cloud

Psorothamnus sp, is that what you mean "Okra,"  there are several trees with the vernacular smoke, but I'm not sure if they are native to Arizona, or get large enough...I'm about to get my tree shot gun out too.  I might give up on this one....maybe...I'm thinking about it.....really I am....well, a little anyhow.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on February 05, 2013, 09:15:39 AM
Psorothamnus sp, is that what you mean "Okra,"  there are several trees with the vernacular smoke, but I'm not sure if they are native to Arizona, or get large enough...I'm about to get my tree shot gun out too.  I might give up on this one....maybe...I'm thinking about it.....really I am....well, a little anyhow.

The more subtle shotgun. I used the .410 this time.  :D
It's like saying maple. Many kinds. Or Ironwood. . . many kinds.

But on one of his earlier quizzes I noticed that there is such a thing as a smoke tree in Arizona.

Jay C. White Cloud

MB you said native to Arizona, but this is looking a lot like a fruit tree wood, and I see a bore hole.  This isn't apple or peach tree wood is it?  They aren't native.   ???

giant splinter

if it native my best shot is
semi deciduous ..... Catclaw Acacia
              or

If non Native ..... Deciduous  ..... Red Push Pistache

if I am not close, how about another clue
roll with it

Jay C. White Cloud

Anacardiaceae (Acacia sp, plus it wood have to be really color washed out to be one of these I would think ???) and Fabaceae family, (Pistacia sp) have both been ruled out, I believe.  We do need another clue,  is it medicinal or used for something specific?

Okrafarmer

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Okrafarmer on February 05, 2013, 09:07:09 AM
Smoke tree.

"What has it got in its pocketses?"  >:(

Not a smoke tree.    8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on February 05, 2013, 09:15:39 AM

That's what I took it for...., but not that....

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: giant splinter on February 05, 2013, 12:51:15 PM
if it native my best shot is
semi deciduous ..... Catclaw Acacia
              or

If non Native ..... Deciduous  ..... Red Push Pistache

if I am not close, how about another clue

Neither of those..... ;D

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on February 05, 2013, 01:34:59 PM
Anacardiaceae (Acacia sp, plus it wood have to be really color washed out to be one of these I would think ???) and Fabaceae family, (Pistacia sp) have both been ruled out, I believe.  We do need another clue,  is it medicinal or used for something specific?

Everybody wants a clue............... :o

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: Okrafarmer on February 05, 2013, 07:28:46 PM
Hmm, he hasn't answered for a while.

Sorry, guys, just got back from cutting big mesquite out at el rancho.

mesquite buckeye

Clue #6: Sometimes has fall colors.

Clue #7: This tree can bloom almost any time of the year.

smiley_biggrin01

Jay C. White Cloud

This would be a type of Olea species would it?  The wood is similar but I didn't think Arizona had a native species.

Thank You Sponsors!