iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Smoking fish

Started by Yoopersaw, February 11, 2013, 12:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoopersaw

I haven't smoked fish before and would appriciate any tips you have.  One of the things I've been told is that fish will make your smoker unusable for any thing else since it'll smell like fish.  I assume that this would only apply to those that use wooden smoke houses, not the metal smokers that can be cleaned.

Weekend_Sawyer

When I was riding across the UP a few years ago I came across a roadside store that was called the Party Store and sold beer, sodas, chips, jerky and smoked fish. They had their smoker set up outside like a row of sheds and the fish were on 1/4 inch wire mesh that slid into slides in the shed and there was a washtub of smoky wood underneath. simple and easy. I wondered if the tub was galvanized tho, and then I wondered if that would be a problem... and then I rode away never to have my questions answered.

;D Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

beenthere

Rode off without trying some of the smoked fish?  :snowball:
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Weekend_Sawyer

Yea, I'm not much for fish, smoked or otherwise.

Jeff

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on February 11, 2013, 01:36:00 PM

SAY WHAT?? That's just crazy talk there! ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on February 11, 2013, 01:52:45 PM
Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on February 11, 2013, 01:36:00 PM

SAY WHAT?? That's just crazy talk there! ;)

Sounds like you struck a nerve, Weekend Sawyer.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Weekend_Sawyer

I have been known to get on nerves every now and then  :D

Now I can take rockfish, bluegill or perch, but give me venison any day! 

Axe Handle Hound

What kind of fish are you looking to smoke?  I've never really tried smoking any white fleshed fish, but I have smoked a whole bunch of salmon and trout and can give you some ideas for those.  As for the smoker becoming unusable, I'd have to disagree.  I've never washed my smoker and it doesn't have any residual odor other than the smell of smoke.  Maybe if you had a wooden smoker and the first thing you used it for was a strong smelling fish you could end up with residual odor, but once the creosote builds up on the inside you won't have any problems. 

Texas Ranger

We used to smoke redhorse (a sucker) in Missouri, with crackers and beer, not bad.  That was about the only way we would eat them, boney to a fault.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Yoopersaw

Quote from: Axe Handle Hound on February 11, 2013, 04:04:44 PM
What kind of fish are you looking to smoke?  I've never really tried smoking any white fleshed fish, but I have smoked a whole bunch of salmon and trout and can give you some ideas for those.  As for the smoker becoming unusable, I'd have to disagree.  I've never washed my smoker and it doesn't have any residual odor other than the smell of smoke.  Maybe if you had a wooden smoker and the first thing you used it for was a strong smelling fish you could end up with residual odor, but once the creosote builds up on the inside you won't have any problems.

Trout and Salmon.

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: Texas Ranger on February 11, 2013, 04:06:25 PM
We used to smoke redhorse (a sucker) in Missouri, with crackers and beer, not bad.
food1 Mmmm smoked crackers and beer. food1 smiley_beertoast

Axe Handle Hound

The only two things you need to make incredible smoked salmon are Salt and Smoke.  I highly recommend you try just those two things before you branch out into the sugar/molasses/spice mixtures you'll see all over the internet.  I fillet my salmon and if the fillets are really thick I'll slice them lengthwise into strips about 1.5" wide.  If they're not thick (think coho fillet), maybe cut the fillet across the width so you have shorter pieces.  Pull the bones out of the fillet with a pair of pliers before you cut them up.  Makes eating the salmon that much more enjoyable.  Mix up a saltwater solution strong enough to float an egg, rinse your fish strips with cold water, and put them in the brine.  Length of time in the brine depends on how salty you like your fish.  I like salt way too much so I will typically mix mine up right before bed and take them out in the morning.  If you like less, go about 4-6 hours.  Once they come out the brine you'll want to hang them up to dry for a few hours.  If it's cold out and you have somewhere secure to do it, leave them hanging outside for most of a day to get a good pellicle formed.  If it's warm, you can dry them in the fridge, but frankly that's a pain.  You're better off to just pat them dry with paper towels and head for the smoker so the fish doesn't spoil.  I like to use mesquite wood for salmon and trout, but being the UP you probably have plenty of maple available and that will do just fine.  I let the smoker warm up with the fish in it for an hour before I add wood chips.  Then I really smoke it good for a couple of hours solid.  If the fish is thick, go for at least 2-3 hours of smoke, but then don't add any more.  Too much and you end up with a charcoal briquette.  Keep it on the smoker for as long as necessary to get the internal temp up and to acheive the dryness you want.  I like my fish smoked dry, almost like jerky so I start my smoker in the afternoon and then leave it sit overnight.  In the morning the fish comes out nice and dry and the meat will peel right off the skin easily.  I typically put them in a couple layers of paper towel and then in a paper bag in the fridge to cool off and firm up before serving.  A couple of pounds of this will disappear in a big hurry at a family get together.   

Thank You Sponsors!