iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Monarch Lightning Sawing Machine

Started by Jeff, February 22, 2013, 06:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I spent much of the day scanning and creating images for an old Manual I have from the 1880's.  It is for the "Monarch Lightning Sawing Machine" made by the Monarch Manufacturing Company Of Chicago Ill.  This is a manual powered Drag Saw. I wish I had the saw too! I have never actually seen one of these.  I've got this set up a little different, as I wanted the full size images to be easily readable. No since scanning a 130 old document if you don't have it big enough for historic record.

You can click on the cover photo picture below, to view the entire manual.  I hope you find it interesting. :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Paul_H

I'd love to try one out and see how it performs.Shipping is only $1
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Jeff

I've got the links corrected now Paul. When you looked at it in conferencing, it was all messed up. I had moved it in there to fix it. :)

Paul_H

The writing style is pretty neat,reminds me of Ten Acres Enough.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I like this!  smiley_thumbsup

This has GOT to be the best thing I have read in a while. Comparing this company to todays sawmill companies.....it's like, yes, things have changed but oh how they have stayed the same.  :)

Some of the words they used are forbidden in some markets today.....but thats the way it is.  :)

History of the company......a sales pitch to where I wanna work for them NOW to buy a farm.  :)
Reviews from customers........contest......I mean, ain't much changed.

It sounds like that was good money back then and A LOT of fun!

I like where it said to use your own bolts because you can buy yours cheaper than we can ship them.  :D

This is VERY good Jeff! Thanks.

P.S. If you don't quite have enough money to buy one of our saws.....borrow it from a friend.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Mooseherder

It was 30 dollars back then.  I wonder what that would be in today's money?
I googled to see if the company was still in business.  It didn't appear that they are.
The manual is worth 5 times the cost of the saw now. :)

Paul_H

QuoteWhat cost $30 in 1883 would cost $727.73 in 2012.
Also, if you were to buy exactly the same products in 2012 and 1883,
they would cost you $30 and $1.31 respectively.

Slab Slicer

Jeff, that one looks pretty close to this design.

2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

pigman

I like the statement that one man with the saw would replace four to six horses and as many men using a horse powered drag saw.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Jeff

Quote from: Slab Slicer on February 22, 2013, 11:01:50 PM
Jeff, that one looks pretty close to this design.

Kinda sorta, but not really. Other than it has a saw at the end of a manual powered pitman.  As I get time, I'll get all my documentation for the folding saw scanned in. I have a bunch of material I got from the daughter of one of the sales people from that company.  I'd never seen a folding saw dolled up that much. It has to be a much later one, or a special paint job on it. I don't believe that to be at all original paint, or the label on it either. The first ones such as I have on my mantle, were oiled ash. No paint.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Slab Slicer

I agree Jeff. This one seems to be an overdone restoration. Someone made it look too pretty. I think you description of oiled ash is more the style of finish they would have used. I'd like to see the info on the folding saw that you have. Hopefully some more accurate pics of the original finish.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Jeff

The later models were painted. Mostly red, but I have seen one yellow one that I know was original paint as it still had the original shipping label on it. I've got the materials here on my desk, just have to find a few hours to get it all scanned and cataloged. :)

barbender

I like the bedazzled pretty ladies standing in awe. The message- "if you buy our product, beautiful women will throng to you" :D
Too many irons in the fire

beenthere

And advertising is still using the same tactics today.  :snowball:
Apparent that it does work. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Mooseherder on February 22, 2013, 08:51:02 PM
It was 30 dollars back then.  I wonder what that would be in today's money?

A brand new Singer Sewing machine run with foot treadle was $130 in that era.  They still exist, and working. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!