iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flintlock Muzzleloaders

Started by BCCrouch, April 12, 2004, 06:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCCrouch

They've been on my mind, so I thought I might tap into the collective knowledge of the forum.  These websites caught my eye:

http://www.avsia.com/tvm/

http://gggodwin.com/

http://www.flintlocks.com/default.asp

I despise the idea of modern, in-line, scope-tapped, synthetic-stocked muzzleloaders designed to dance on the very edge of legality for muzzleloading season.  Arms at home in "The Last of the Mohicans", "The Patriot", or "The Alamo" alone are worthy of my attention.  Simply put, historical pieces have soul that their modern cousins lack.

Now, what information might you offer this prospective buyer of a flintlock muzzleloader?

On the plains of hesitation lay the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of their victory sat down to rest, and resting, died.

Bro. Noble

BC,

I agree with you on the style of muzzle loaders.  My son bought a Hawkins style percussion rifle from Cabellas.  They sell the same in flintlock.  It is well made, attractive,  authentic accurate,  and reasonably priced.  If I were buying one,  that's what I'd get.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

BCCrouch

On the plains of hesitation lay the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of their victory sat down to rest, and resting, died.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

BCCrouch

QuoteThat's interesting. Thanks

You're welcome.  Might anyone else have anything to add?  

Frickman

I've done a little muzzle loader hunting myself. I have a Thompson Center Hawkin, .50 caliber, flintlock. Beautiful gun, gorgeous walnut stock, shoots reasonably well, heaviest thing you ever carried up a mountainside. The lock isn't the best, I've had alot of misfires at all the wrong times. This gun was purchased from a fellow who had built it from a kit. I guess he didn't like carrying it over the mountains either.

Someday I'm going to get a custom or semi custom-made Pennsylvania-style flintlock. I'm not to concerned with looks, just fit and reliability. I've shot a few Pennsylvania-style rifles in the past, and have found them the easiest and most accurate guns I've ever shot offhand with open sights. That includes modern firearms. There just seems to be something in their proportions and balance that makes them very comfortable to shoot. That's my next project after I get an LT70 mizer.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Tobacco Plug

Well, it all depends on what you want to use the flintlock for.  A rifle is of course great for deer and squirrels.  A smoothbore fowler would be just perfect for upland game.  Do you have an interest in historical reenacting?  Perhaps a Brown Bess musket would be in order.  Yes, it is a smoothbore, but a buckshot and ball load is deadly on deer, and with a lot of experimenting on loads, it would be a usable gun for upland game or waterfowl when loaded with shot.  There are many good gunmakers out there who will build you a fine rifle or fowler, just be prepared to pay the price.  Fowlers made by larger manufacturers are not all that common, though.  One good place to look is Muzzleloader magazine.  Plenty of good information there.
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

Fla._Deadheader

If yer into re-enactment, I got started making Spanish MatchLock "Sporting Rifles", a while back. The original was found in a well in St. Augustine. Dated back to the 1500's. This model was shorter and lighter than a Musket.

Made the tapered octagon barrel and bored it to 50 caliber, round ball. Has a scope and front blade sight. Every part is hand made.

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Frickman

Good looking gun FlaDead. What kind of wood is the stock? It looks like cherry to me. I don't see any worm holes. Don't you use your salvaged treasure, or do you just sell it?
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Fla._Deadheader

Cherry it is. We get Pine and Cypress. Sell it. Don'T get GOOD Cherry down here. It's Wild Black Cherry, and won't usually get very big.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!