iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New (to me) Skiddah!

Started by NH Forester, March 25, 2013, 12:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NH Forester

My fifth cable machine, first ever JD. I had 3-TJ240's over the years (A, D, and E) and my first machine was a Franklin 100XLNH which a buddy still runs.

A head on a pike no longer conspires.

Norse Proverb

clww

Looks like a real beauty! :)
Congratulations.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

John_Haylow

Very nice, looks in great shape.
Have fun, 8)
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

thecfarm

Looks good. Going to be used full time in the woods?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sprucebunny

Sharp  8)

Hope it goes good for you.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

lumberjack48

Nice looking machine, now lets hope its as good as it looks. Hope theres no major break downs for a long time.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

jd540b

NH Forester, Did you buy that in Maine?  If so, I think it's my old skidder-boy, sure looks like it!!!  I know the guy I sold it to was selling it.  Used to be a grapple-not to many straight cable machines with glass.   

jd540b

The more I look, I'm sure of it....I put those big shackles between the rings on front.  I did alot of work to that ole' girl-treated me really well.  I have some pictures of it on a barge-we hauled it off shore a few years ago a cleaned up a bunch of blowdown on an island off the coast.  I pulled a forwarder trailer with it-think they cut the ears off the log bumper though.  I'll see if I can find the pics. 
The left side of the blade was bent and broken when I bought it-we straigtened it out and put a piece of square stock as the brace, re-built the trans, winch, new winch control valve, pins/bushings, paint/decals....traded it for the TJ450A I have now-same guys.

jd540b

NH Forester

Quote from: jd540b on March 25, 2013, 04:26:28 PM
NH Forester, Did you buy that in Maine?  If so, I think it's my old skidder-boy, sure looks like it!!!  I know the guy I sold it to was selling it.  Used to be a grapple-not to many straight cable machines with glass.   

After seeing the pics and hearing the story, yep, that's the one. He gave me all of the paperwork on the dealer service you had done. When I ran the numbers at Nortrax before I bought it they sent me the build sheet and it says it shipped as a cable skidder with serial numbers for all of the components.

The only documentation he didn't have was on the engine. He claimed it was a JD rebuilt crate engine but had no evidence. Did you have the engine done?

Norse Proverb

jd540b

No, the only thing I did to the motor was the oil cooler, two or three injectors, and injector lines.  The guy I bought it from did some work on the motor.

jd540b

He was also the one that swapped the back half from grapple to cable.

jd540b

She was somewhat of a basket case when I bought it.  But I did quite a lot to it and when we traded it was a very reliable hard working skidder. I loved it-sometimes wish I never traded!

NH Forester

I just put the heavy JD suspension base and factory seat back in as well as a new belt. Hydraulic pump was recently rebuilt.

Norse Proverb

treefarmer87

nic machine, it should serve you well
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

saxon0364

Nice looking machine, love them 540's.   Good luck with it, now get to work. :D
Nothing wrong with quiet.

DigDug

thenorthman

Awh now I want to log an Island... after a golf course, or maybe a golf course on an island!

That sure is a pretty skidder....
well that didn't work

coxy

thats awsome that you found your old skidder and it looks great :)      nh forester  good luck with it  8)

snowstorm

NH Forester

I was going to ask as well. Was it Vinalhaven or Islesboro? Or am I way off?

I saw in the receipts that you were in Appleton when the trans went. I have good friends in Appleton.

Norse Proverb

snowstorm

dosent look like ilseboro or vinal haven to me. havnt seen that barage around here either. it has pretty big spuds for a small barage. appleton i can see it from here.

NH Forester

Quote from: snowstorm on March 27, 2013, 07:31:05 AM
dosent look like ilseboro or vinal haven to me. havnt seen that barage around here either. it has pretty big spuds for a small barage. appleton i can see it from here.

I was thinking that the pics looked like the mainland side. Just a WAG though.

Norse Proverb

snowstorm

Quote from: NH Forester on March 27, 2013, 06:34:01 AM
I was going to ask as well. Was it Vinalhaven or Islesboro? Or am I way off?

I saw in the receipts that you were in Appleton when the trans went. I have good friends in Appleton.
did the deere dealer in union fix the trans? if bill rebuilt the trans its good. he is as good as they come. he has been working on them since the early 70's

snowstorm

Quote from: NH Forester on March 27, 2013, 07:53:32 AM
Quote from: snowstorm on March 27, 2013, 07:31:05 AM

I was thinking that the pics looked like the mainland side. Just a WAG though.
ilseboro ferry comes into linclonville vinal haven and north haven come in to rockland

Thank You Sponsors!