iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electric band setter

Started by hackberry jake, March 27, 2013, 10:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

As well as the pineywoods vise setter is working, it's still a pain in the ... Arm. When I have 5 or so bands I just dread setting the teeth with the vise setter. I am brainstorming an electric setter. I'm trying to keep it simple but so far it looks like a rube goldberg machine (in my head).
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

kelLOGg

Actuate the vise with a low speed DC gear motor.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

bandmiller2

Jake,very possible to motorize setting, but a dual tooth setter with the three tooth advance is fast and easy,I can set two bands wile the cats claw is grinding one. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

hamish

I use a modified "pineywoods setter".  I use a woodworking vise with three support arm to support the band and hand a simple indexer that moves the band forward 3 teeth at a time.  To open and close the vise, I removed the handle and replaced it with a 3/8" drive sockect and power it with my electric or air impact.

So long as I pay attention I can do a 144" band in less than a minute.

Leaning now towards a pedal air operated ram, but the snow is leaving so time to get milling, maybe next year.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

pineywoods

Another one of my "when I get around to it" projects is to add power to my old woodmizer single tooth modified to dual tooth setter. Thought about using air cylinders, haven't quite figured out the control valves yet..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

hackberry jake

I am pondering using two triangular shaped pieces of steel that rotate towards each other with set screws on each tip. Or just two round steel pieces with three set screws each. I would only need two I guess, then a blank area for the raker. The band would roll between the two wheels.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Thank You Sponsors!