iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What goes on in our logs as they're sitting?

Started by hackberry jake, March 28, 2013, 05:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I know of a few things for sure like fungus getting in them and causing spalt, and the ends dry out faster than the center, but is there any changes that take place because the log isn't dead yet? I have seen walnut and black locust logs grow sprouts. That means they are still alive right? I have heard of farmers cutting locust fenceposts and sticking them in the ground and a tree will start growing from it. Does the log add any wood after its cut? Or does it convert a tiny amount of sapwood into heartwood? How long does it take for all cell activity to stop? Too many questions?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Chuck White

I've gone on mobile sawjobs and found several species of logs that have grown new leaves or needles!

Sounds wierd, but it happens.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

harrymontana

once I left 4 logs and when I came back after a year there were suddenly 8 logs!
everything on hardwood

hackberry jake

Quote from: harrymontana on March 28, 2013, 06:38:02 PM
once I left 4 logs and when I came back after a year there were suddenly 8 logs!

Sounds like you need to take some more logs back there. It sounds like it might actually stay up with inflation!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

Very often I have found many more logs on Monday morning than were there when I left a sawing site on Friday, but that has nothing to do with the OP.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Not sure what to say?  I guess if this was the case we could cut a few logs, then a house would appear?  A bit drastic I know, but, there is food left after a tree is downed.  Just an example, think about a cow pie, who would think of anything growing from this?  and then there are mushrooms, and how many cedars are grown from bird droppings?   I have heard about posts in Coasta Rica sprouting and growing roots as well,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: hackberry jake on March 28, 2013, 06:45:46 PM
Quote from: harrymontana on March 28, 2013, 06:38:02 PM

Sounds like you need to take some more logs back there. It sounds like it might actually stay up with inflation!

Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon. (Milton Friedman)........ But that's a whole different topic..

Delawhere Jack

I milled a poplar log today that I'll swear was possessed by demons. smiley_devil It did everything but spit pea soup in my face trying not to be milled.

Magicman

Sometimes Poplar cants have to be flipped 180° several times as boards are removed and the internal stress is released.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I am sawing a bunch of yellow poplar right now.  As the cant starts to get small when you are down to the last 4 or five boards, you can look at the bed rails in the center part of the cant and tell if it is time to flip or not.  When you can see a small space opening under the cant at the two or three center bed rails that support the center of the cant, it is flip time for sure.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Cedar Savage

A few years ago I sold a  standing bear, I carved outta willow....A couple months later the new owners told me, that when they got the bear home, they put it on thier deck, & the bear sprouted a branch from between its back...bottom legs. At first they thought it was funny, untill then thier 2yr old kid started getting obsessed with it....so they cut it off !
"They fried the fish with bacon and were astonished, for no fish had ever seemed so delicious before."         Mark Twain

Tree Feller

Hey, Aaron's staff sprouted, bloomed and produced almonds. I guess anything is possible.   ;D
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

WDH

Jake,

The bugs are having a party in there  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!