iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spring gettogether in WNC

Started by Seaman, April 06, 2013, 08:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

Oh good gracious! If people are partaking of southern delicacies nearby, that isn't going to turn you away is it? We aren't going to put them on your plate! That would be most unkind, and not very neighborly.

MEAT AND CHEESE AND BREAD on the menu. Southern delicacies available for those who might want them.
8)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

hunz

I am most definitely interested in stopping by to make a few friends and maybe pick up a little knowledge from some of you more seasoned sawyers. I'm in Hendersonville, just 30 minutes at most from Asheville.
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

thecfarm

Okrafarmer,thank you of thinking of me.Even if there was no food being served or worst yet,a vegan picnic,if I was thinking about coming nothing would keep me away. Just a liitle bit far at this point and time. Have not been to see the step son in DC for a couple years and that is only a 10-12 hour drive.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

I understand, cfarm! Well, it is a long trip. I used to do the Clinton, ME to Greenville, SC run in 21-23 hours. Seaman is about an hour northwest of me, and the trip is probably very similar in time.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Seaman

Some part of a bovine I'm sure, and pork, and fixins, and....grits!     8)
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on April 08, 2013, 10:29:12 PM
If the menu is bread,meat and chesse,yes. What else is there to eat???  :D

GRITS
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ga Mtn Man

This sounds like it should be a really good chance to meet some "interesting" people. ;D  Count me in. 8)

Perhaps we could take up a gas money collection for anyone willing to pull their mill to  the party.  8-10 MPG gets expensive in a hurry. :-\
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

giant splinter

This get together sounds like a great idea and once a date is settled on I will certainly make my best effort to get there and have a chance to meet everyone.
Thanks for the opportunity Skipper, look forward to meeting everyone.
roll with it

KyTreeFarmer

Hey all,
If this ended up being weekend of June 15 or June 22 I will be in the area and would love to come. The "Southern Delicacies" won't keep me away!!  ;)
KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

Okrafarmer

Quote from: giant splinter on April 09, 2013, 10:15:41 AM
This get together sounds like a great idea and once a date is settled on I will certainly make my best effort to get there and have a chance to meet everyone.
Thanks for the opportunity Skipper, look forward to meeting everyone.

:o So you're trying to get the "Longest Trip Award", eh? Anybody want to come from farther? Warbird? Ianab?  :D

sumday

Starting to sound like it's gonna take a BIG pot of grits to feed everyone!

Okrafarmer

A largely portioned pot of gumbo might be in order. . . .

Along with the meat and bread and cheese.

Seaman

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Seaman on April 11, 2013, 07:26:28 AM
Yummm...GUMBO!

Now if I make it, it will be pork sausage gumbo. If someone else makes it, who knows!

coxy

thinking of going to my buddys in ky in june  would like to meet some of the people on the ff

Okrafarmer

I guess the sooner we decide a date the better. Any Saturday in June will work for me. I should be able to come up the Friday before, if need be, and help Seaman with any preparations. I only live about an hour or so away.

Seaman

Lets go with the 1st of June, I know that will cut out a few folk, but no date will be perfect for everyone.
All are welcome to come up early or stay late if camping.
Now we can move on to important stuff like..... FOOD!
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Okrafarmer

June 1 it is!

As for food, I will be willing to make a large pot of gumbo. But what other thoughts do people have for food? And I mean people who intend to attend. So, Thecfarm, if you are planning to come, we'll be happy to talk about your specific dietary needs. But if you're not coming-- we won't cook for you!  :D :D :D

Seaman, do you have any thoughts about a main course, or should everybody try to bring something to share? What's the cooking situation like at your house?

I warn you, if I have to do ALL the cooking, it will end up being a pot of gumbo, and a mess of Finnish Air Force. For those of you who don't know what Finnish Air Force is, neither do I, until I do it. You can see a monologue about it if you search in the Food Food Food! section.

Seaman

Okrafarmer, it really depends on how big a crowd we are talking about.

We have a gas cooker that will cook a pig, if those who know they are coming want to chip in, I can procure the appropriate amount of meat, 1/4 to 4/4,  you and I can cook Fri night if you like. We can send someone to Ingles for most of the sides.

Those who want to camp, if any, will be on their own for other meals.

Cooking will be done at the mill with gas,fire or hot-air, which I can produce my share of. ;D
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

thecfarm

Okrafarmer,Can't make it this time.  :D  But put it in your recipe book,meat,bread and cheese.  ;D  You all have a great time planning,sawing,talking,cooking and eating.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

Quote from: thecfarm on April 13, 2013, 08:12:17 AM
Okrafarmer,Can't make it this time.  :D  But put it in your recipe book,meat,bread and cheese.  ;D  You all have a great time planning,sawing,talking,cooking and eating.

Cfarm, I am quite capable of making a nice meat and cheese sandwich without any okra, grits, collards, broccoli, or mustard greens. Just let me know if you take mayonnaise, or anything like that.

For the rest of us-- roast pork and gumbo! Start registering, people! Tell how many you will bring! Sign me up for myself and 2-3 kids. Mrs. Okra is expecting a baby to be born in August, and I doubt she'll want to come. If she does, she won't eat much anyway, and neither will the additional toddlers.

Sign us up for 4 people.

Okrafarmer

Seaman, how much do you think would be an appropriate contribution for each person, for purchasing the victuals?

Okrafarmer

For those wondering if they really want to come, please consider that in addition to this, you will be within a few hours of some other really great things to see and do. It's not too far to Charlotte, Chattanooga, Bristol, Knoxville, Pigeon Forge, Hendersonville, Flat Rock, Chimney Rock, Table Rock, King's Mountain, and Greenville SC from there. All kinds of things to do in all those places. So if you want to make a trip of it, you can do a lot of things along the way, or on the way back. Many other things and places I can't think of, too,  and beautiful mountain scenery. Within 100 miles of Seaman's house I believe you could find the majority of the species of trees found in eastern north America. Possibly excepting all those weird Florida-only trees from the total.  ::)

sumday

I'm going to have to wait a few weeks before I can commit, but the plan right now is for me  and my better half to come. Looks like we may be moving her 93 year old grandmother in with us about that time, and that's the possible hold up. Gotta take care of family first. So I'll be watching to see if this continues to develop and commit asap.

pyrocasto

I dont know if I want to drive that far, that IS 45 minutes!!!  :D :)

Count me in. June 1st, I'll keep my schedule clear if possible.

Thank You Sponsors!