iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Time to stock up the freezers and a new way to skin a sheep

Started by Ernie, June 26, 2013, 09:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie

It's that time again, all the freezers are getting empty ours and the kids so we decided to hang up a few sheep.  This is a fairly common thing for us as a family and we usually do about a dozen a year to keep all the mobs fed.  Usually, we cut the throats, bleed them out hang them up by the back legs and skin and gut them.

This time was different, one of the lads has found an easy way to skin animals.  A hunting mate of his showed him his method. Hang them up by the front legs, leave the skin attached to the head, open up the legs and brisket, hook the head to a rope on the back of the ATV and drive away.  Peels the skin off as neatly and easy as pie.  Must pull from the back of the animal.

This would probably work on most animals.

I apologize for not getting any pics, we will be doing some more soon and I will try and use what's left of my memory to remember the camera.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

ancjr

celliott

Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

beenthere

:D :D

A method as such used for deer too. But must pull the skin from the neck back, otherwise the muscles under the skin will pull away and be a big mess.. I've tried it, but don't use it anymore.

Another method that I may try, is to blow off the hide with air pressure. i.e. inflate air with a needle just under the hide and the air goes between the hide and meat. Looks easy, and show videos of using the method on coyotes too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ancjr

Quote from: celliott on June 26, 2013, 10:10:19 PM
Quote from: ancjr on June 26, 2013, 09:53:35 PM
That's basicly how I learned to do squirrels.    :)

With an ATV???  ???

;D

Nope, never seen one big enough to warrant that, but the basic technique applies.   :D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

It works fine until the rope breaks.  Then you spend your time "skinning" the leaves, grass and dirt from your freshly skinned animal.   :-\  How do I know  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Axe Handle Hound

Quote from: Magicman on June 26, 2013, 10:22:31 PM
It works fine until the rope breaks.  Then you spend your time "skinning" the leaves, grass and dirt from your freshly skinned animal.   :-\  How do I know  ???

I laughed at this because I can just see the look on your face when that hide fell fresh side down onto the ground.  I know what I'd be thinking at that moment anyway. 

pappy19

2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

chevytaHOE5674

That guys is dressed up pretty nice for cleaning deer... He sure is speedy though.

Thank You Sponsors!