iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

question

Started by Peter Drouin, August 06, 2013, 06:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Is there a generic form for scaling logs and marking for defects on the form???  Or do you make your own? 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

Peter, as far as I know, there is not, most of the time when grade logs come in here, the logger makes it known which ones and how many butts and seconds that are clear, the defects are part of the game, If I scale and grade each log then the lower ones will take a hit, most of the time it is a straight run, 300 a thousand, this is the going rate around here, If one were to follow the stats it will prove to be a very fair and accurate average for around here,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

Not what I meant. The form has symbols for rot and sweep and such for soft wood , not how many faces are good on hard wood, I know all about the hard wood :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

beenthere

Peter
Are you aware of such a form, or asking for something similar to various forms used for hardwoods?

Interested in your question, but need some more info about how you want to use such a form.

Maybe want it to sell logs, or to buy logs?
Or to inventory your logs?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rmack

the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Peter Drouin

I have a LOT of logs coming. Before I would buy a truckload or two, scale the logs and write a ck. Or go to my wood lots and get some
what rmack has is close to what im looking for . I thought I saw some that had symbols for rot or sweep splits an so on so when you put down the bf of the log and have a deduction I could use the symbols or numbers so the logger nows why the deduction.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

drobertson

Lots of formulas, for sure, this is a head scratcher for me, junk is junk, not rocket science, no disrespect intended, how can you go over each log and saw out within a timely frame work?  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

drobertson. I don't know what you're asking me . If a log has 50bf in it and has a 2' split in it there's only 45 bf of lumber in and that's what I pay for not the 50.
if it has a 2" sweep in it , the log lost some bf
There's a formula for sweep in a log.
I know how to scale a log. I just need the paper to fill out to make it easier for me.
The big boys have a electronic thing that will scale the log and send the info to the office :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

beenthere

Peter
Sounds like a 7 or 8 column log tally (data) form. Something like this.

Log #   :   scale diam   :   length    :    Gross scale   :    Deduction  :    Deduct for:  :    Net Scale  : species

You might then be able to review the logs with your logger, and as well keep track of inventory if logs are sorted by species, log length, and possibly grade.  Just depends on how much record keeping and keeping track of inventory you might want to consider.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Migal

Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

captain_crunch

Shurely there is an independent scaleing  bearu to have make the call
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Peter Drouin

Beenthere you have it. I was looking for a form that has that or I have to make my own and bring it to a printer to make a box full.

captain-crunch, all the loggers I have worked with say my scale is on the money. If you pith off a logger you get no logs and with no logs you have no saw mill business.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

rmack

sounds like you might want a defect/premium column and a scale minus/plus defect/premium column. then you would need a defect/premium list somewhere on the page with the abbreviations to show what defect/premium you were adjusting for in order to avoid confusion.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

giant splinter

Peter,
I have sold smaller logs in the past to a mill that buys peelers, he used a form that may be what you need and it did look like he made it himself. After checking into this further i found out the small mill is now a post mill and under new management. ( no one there knew J/S about the form).
I think if you can find a peeler mill or one of the specialty mills I would bet they could help, I remember the form he used was detailed and may have been printed on a computer as the ink was running when I signed it in the rain, I went through some old paperwork but did not find any old receipts that I could send you. Hope that this is of some help
roll with it

mesquite buckeye

It would be easy peasy to make one up in excel and then just print them up when you need them. If you have a laser printer they won't melt in the rain. Also, you could print them on card stock or bristol to make them stiffer and less floppy in the wind. ;D

I think your idea is a really good one. The nice thing about making your own on the computer is if something either isn't needed or you need to add something, like a note column, you can easily change it. Remember, if it gets too wide for an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet, you can print it in landscape form so it will fit.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

drobertson

Peter, Beenthere put up a nice form I'm thinking, however, when a load is piled, there is no way I can separate the stack to view the sweep in each log, or view the amount of knots or blemish , I do believe that the longer the log is the potential for sweep is inherent, and can be a bitter, I am thinking you cut on average allot of longer stock than I, and for this understand your need for a workable tally system,  I hope you find one that works,  If all else fails we should set up camp down south near Charlotte,NC  they seem to be paying a premium for live edge slabs,   david

loggah

Depends on the diameter and length of the logs,clear faces affect grade, but either way you should gain if your buying international rule and using a thin bandsaw blade. International was intended for a circular saw kerf,every four boards you saw with a thin blade you get a free board ;) Don.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

mesquite buckeye

I love mill overrun. Helps to cover the losses to hidden rot, internal cracks etc. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: drobertson on August 07, 2013, 05:57:59 PM
Peter, Beenthere put up a nice form I'm thinking, however, when a load is piled, there is no way I can separate the stack to view the sweep in each log, or view the amount of knots or blemish , I do believe that the longer the log is the potential for sweep is inherent, and can be a bitter, I am thinking you cut on average allot of longer stock than I, and for this understand your need for a workable tally system,  I hope you find one that works,  If all else fails we should set up camp down south near Charlotte,NC  they seem to be paying a premium for live edge slabs,   david

I allways have the trucker spread the load out so I can see all the logs
A&P saw Mill LLC.

petefrom bearswamp

I am retired and not into high production so just have the trucker unload by length then go thru the pile one by one to scale.
I get a lot of 21 ft logs in so that i can cut 2 10s, or 1-8 and 1- 12 so estimate the volume in these as my scale stick  only goes to 16'
My loggers trust my scale and i only hurt myself if I hurry too much.
I deduct for sweep, crook and checks in the end etc. and have had no complaints.
I agree with Mesquite that a sheet is be easily made using Excel.
I have also scanned talley sheets and printed them from the photo program. A little cumbersome to do but it works for me.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Peter Drouin

this is what I came up with :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

mesquite buckeye

Klicker

Hi Peter it was nice to meet you on Tuesday and see your operation. Your Tally sheet  looks great and should work. We made it home on Wed.
2006 LT 40 HD

Peter Drouin

Well I'm glad you made it back. It was a nice visit. I got all the w oak together for the crib. all 8"x8"x4-5-6' :D :D 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!