iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

husqvarna 254xp ...worth fixing?

Started by mopar02, August 15, 2013, 10:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar02

Hello everyone, new to the forum. Been a stalker for a while tho. My question is I was given a Husqvarna 254xp  that has a scored cylinder because the guy I know let a friend borrow it and he used gas from the wrong can and burned it up. Its in decent shape besides that and muffler is beat up. My sister works at a husky dealership so I get parts at cost, so is it worth putting the money into it? Not familiar with the model , so not sure what they cost in nice shape running, hate to invest a bunch if not worth it. Thanks in advance for any advice

celliott

It probably depends on how badly the cylinder is scored. If it's not scored real badly, it can probably be cleaned up. If the scoring is through the plating then the cylinder would be junk, and having to buy a new one would be pricey. If it cleans up, then maybe just a  new piston and rings, be alot cheaper and worthwhile, I'd say.
Not sure what the markup on OEM parts is, but even still, aftermarket parts might be cheaper than at cost husky parts.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

NCFarmboy

It's worth fixing IMO.  One of Husky's factory hotrods.  Meteor piston (around $40) is an excellent piston much cheaper than OEM comes with Caber rings also excellent.  I have  a bunch of 254 parts let me know if I can help you with this project.  I have 2 runners and 4-5 parts saws waiting on me to fix em.  If cyl is ruined Tecomec makes a nice After Market P&C.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

weimedog

Quote from: mopar02 on August 15, 2013, 10:07:39 PM
Hello everyone, new to the forum. Been a stalker for a while tho. My question is I was given a Husqvarna 254xp  that has a scored cylinder because the guy I know let a friend borrow it and he used gas from the wrong can and burned it up. Its in decent shape besides that and muffler is beat up. My sister works at a husky dealership so I get parts at cost, so is it worth putting the money into it? Not familiar with the model , so not sure what they cost in nice shape running, hate to invest a bunch if not worth it. Thanks in advance for any advice

Yup, and ditto the advice above about Meteor aftermarket...and if you want to buy a new saw..like a Husky 555 or J-red 2260 just ebay the 254 and you might be suprised how much of a down payment you get. And husqvarna's (The 200 series..all of them) of that era are about the easiest saws to wrk on that exist. Straight forward and simple. No tricks and standard tools work like a T-handle allen for the cylinder bolts.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

ladylake

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

mopar02

Thanks guys, I will take the cylinder off this weekend and get a closer look to see if I can save it or shop for new one. I checked out the tecomec piston/cylinder kits for 150ish? Hoping to get saw fixed up because for bigger wood I use a mcculloch pro mac 610 with a 24 in bar or my old school poulan 401, it cuts like a monster but is as loud as a Harley and about as heavy. Thanks again for the input

nk14zp

Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

Thank You Sponsors!