iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The next generation of Internal combustion engines

Started by Thehardway, August 27, 2013, 02:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thehardway

Two cycle engines are becoming cleaner and more efficient these days.  Technology advances in direct fuel injection and ignition have really pushed them to the next level.  Small turbo diesel engines are also getting very advanced and becoming lighter.  Imagine an engine that combines the power, torque and lightweight charachteristics of 2 cycle, can use more energy dense diesel fuel, 50 percent less parts (eliminates all the complex moving parts and friction of a valve-train), has no cylinder head, and is modular for multiple cylinder configurations.  You now have the ecomotors OPOC(R) engine.  This thing is pretty awesome in my opinion.  It makes 320HP at 3200 RPM, 664 ft/lbs. torque at 2100 RPM  and only weighs 296 lbs.

This would be an awesome motor for a car, truck or think of a sawmill powered with one!  The only drawback I see is cylinder wear from the horizontal cylinder design.  This hasn't seemed to be so much of an issue these days for modern metals and oils as Subaru has had pretty reliable results and longevity with their horizontal engine designs.

I would love to hear what they sound like.  Supposed to have a big deal with Navistar(IH) for truck engines beginning production in 2014.

http://www.ecomotors.com/engine-design

Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Al_Smith

I'm not so certain a horizontal cylinder design is any harder on the engines pistons than any other design .For example during the late 1800's the more reliable stationary steam engines were made on the Corliss design which is horizontal .Cooper-Bessemer made huge natural gas pumping engines for pipelines of this design and many are still operationg today that were made in the late 30's early 40's .

Take for example the old John-Deere twins .They'd run almost forever .

Dave VH

I think it sounds awesome!  I wonder what how fuel effecient it is?
I cut it twice and it's still too short

grweldon

WOW!  That is amazing and so very awesome!  I wonder why this hasn't been done before?  I'm thinking that exhaust gasses will leak past the rings and escape to wherever without heads on either end.  The excaping gasses will have to be captured somewhere and either catalized or reburned.  I'm sure the geniuses who came up with this have considered all of this.  That is one COOL concept!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

SPIKER

That is a really interesting idea!   hope they can make it fly and last...   seems to me the upper piston connection points on outside of the outer pistons could be issue.   oiling also may be issue on those pins or few other areas...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Thank You Sponsors!