iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Arboristsite Hacked

Started by sharkey, September 10, 2013, 06:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

Just a thought here,
Who can believe the hackers were hired as "hit men" by a major saw  manufacturer?
Laugh as you will, but I remember a while back one saw site got in trouble with one of these companies when members were posting that companies IPLs, then shortly after the whole site got messed up.
I'm sometimes even afraid to post to much negative information for fear of retaliation onto my own computer.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Jeff

Well, since you ask who can believe it, I'll stand up first and say not me. Not for a second.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

HolmenTree

Quote from: Jeff on October 04, 2013, 10:28:26 AM
Well, since you ask who can believe it, I'll stand up first and say not me. Not for a second.
Thanks ,I was just putting it out there.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 04, 2013, 10:19:30 AM
  Laugh as you will, but I remember a while back one saw site got in trouble with one of these companies when members were posting that companies IPLs, then shortly after the whole site got messed up.
I'm sometimes even afraid to post to much negative information for fear of retaliation onto my own computer.
They argue it's intellecual material the rights exclusuvely owned by them .Fact one praticular web forum attempts to make that claim.

Now weather those claims have any creedance I don't know .What I do know is I can make a few phone calls and get any IPL I need with or without the blessings of whomever made that claim .

The only reason a company would want parts lists  treated as confidential material is to attempt to hid knowledge from the general public and therefore have a monopoly .--Which by the way is illeagal .

SawTroll

;D I sort of doubt that Stihl is to blame for the hacking at the AS - but they do hunt down sites that systematically list links to their IPLs and manuals....
Information collector.

Al_Smith

Now wait  a bit I wasn't pointing the fickle finger of fate at Stihl for hacking that site .Now as for the IPL's it's a lost cause trying to rein herd on them because everybody has them .That's about like shutting the barn door after the horse got loose .

I've got IPL's on McCulloch ,Homelite ,Husqvarna ,Stihl ,Ford trucks ,Caterpillar ,Stihl and heaven only knows what else .They are mine ,I payed for them .Fact I even have the engineering prints for a Monarch 10" EE lathe .Try and find those some time .Monarch in Sidney Ohio couldn't even figure that one out .----A.Smith ,junk yard dawg --- ;D

mike047

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 04, 2013, 11:23:51 AM
Now wait  a bit I wasn't pointing the fickle finger of fate at Stihl for hacking that site .Now as for the IPL's it's a lost cause trying to rein herd on them because everybody has them .That's about like shutting the barn door after the horse got loose .

I've got IPL's on McCulloch ,Homelite ,Husqvarna ,Stihl ,Ford trucks ,Caterpillar ,Stihl and heaven only knows what else .They are mine ,I payed for them .Fact I even have the engineering prints for a Monarch 10" EE lathe .Try and find those some time .Monarch in Sidney Ohio couldn't even figure that one out .----A.Smith ,junk yard dawg --- ;D

The Monarch lathe is a VERY fine piece of machinery.

There are several online sites that have IPL's for Stihl and other major manufacturers that can be downloaded that have existed for years without retribution.
mike

Al_Smith

Quote from: mike047 on October 04, 2013, 02:14:54 PM
  The Monarch lathe is a VERY fine piece of machinery.

I just ordered a solid state modern drive for it .That old 1956 tube drive was on it's last legs .I could have traced down the problem as I have in the past but I just got tired of fooling with it .

Got to get it going. Lots of saws to do and a bandsaw mill to build and I'm not getting any younger--just slower  :(

thecfarm

mike047,welcome to the forum. What's your interest with wood?  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike047

Quote from: thecfarm on October 04, 2013, 06:43:17 PM

6 acres of new land to clear and a love for good equipment, Stihl  ;D

Retired :D
mike

SawTroll

Quote from: mike047 on October 04, 2013, 07:29:21 PM

Maybe not the best choise, but it will do the job if you choose the right model(s)!   :)
Information collector.

thecfarm

mike,retired,good for you. Enjoy it.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SawTroll

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 04, 2013, 11:23:51 AM
Now wait  a bit I wasn't pointing the fickle finger of fate at Stihl for hacking that site . .....   

My point was that is highly unlikely, but Stihl obviously was the brand that was hinted at in some earlier posts.... ;)
Information collector.

woodchuck60

I just tried to get into Arboristsite and it's down again, all I got was a one sentence cryptic message.  So I googled to see if I could find the latest news about AS and I find this thread on the Forestry Forum.  I look into my password file and find out I have an account here I'd forgotten about.  As a chainsaw addict, it's good to have another site available.  I'm gonna explore in here to see what I can find. 
Ah got me some ah them thar huskyvarny saws and some ah them steels!

mike047

Quote from: SawTroll on October 04, 2013, 09:16:43 PM
Quote from: mike047 on October 04, 2013, 07:29:21 PM

Maybe not the best choise, but it will do the job if you choose the right model(s)!   :)

It is MY best choice ;D

We each have our own choice to make, and whether you run down Stihl here or over at AS as you usually do....It is still MY choice to make :laugh:
mike

Al_Smith

:D Oh it's a Ford/Chevy  thing ,Farmall/John-Deere .They all cut and most of them have a line of very dependable items .It just comes down to personal preference or my dogs better than your dog .Lest we not forget the oil wars . ;D

mike047

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 05, 2013, 08:08:59 AM
:D Oh it's a Ford/Chevy  thing ,Farmall/John-Deere .They all cut and most of them have a line of very dependable items .It just comes down to personal preference or my dogs better than your dog .Lest we not forget the oil wars . ;D

My dog,border collie, is probably not better or worse than your dog, but he suits the job required of him.  He watches, not really well, as he is afraid of a lot of things that he does not under stand.  He is my buddy, always happy to see me and requires very little maintenance from me.  I got him used from a young lady that had turned him in to the shelter.  The vet game him a tune up and we had his bar attachments removed and he is a very worthy of his position.

He is middle aged but still can mark the trees that he wants cut and as I am long in tooth also, I try to fulfill his wishes.  He and I both can meet the requirements of the tasks presented so I would conclude that even with his shortcomings and his fine attributes that he was the right choice for the job. ;D

What is this "oil" thing that you speak of?  Where is oil used :D what kind was that? :D
mike

thecfarm

Al has his war and I have mine.  ;D  BUT it's all in fun and we do mean FUN. Neither one cares who wins,or I should say WILL win,nobody has won yet.  :D   or lost.

And woodchunk60,welcome to the forum.

I have run Husky for 25 years. I started out with Stihl,did not like the dealer,went with Husky. Than they got bought out by a 4 wheeler,snowmobile place and probably my next saw will be a Stihl. I just find a real nice Jonsered-Stihl dealer. But I do hope it's a while before I need a saw. I just feel the dealer makes a big difference for support.

nk14zp

I started with mini mac then  1010 then a stihl then a husky.   The husky feels the best to me.  I still have the macs too.
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

WmFritz

Quote from: mike047 on October 05, 2013, 09:08:12 AM
[quote  The vet game him a tune up and we had his bar attachments removed

That's too funny. I had the bar attachments removed on my three year old Lab this week. Its been 4 days and he still won't look at me.   :D :D :D

The easiest way to stir the pot around here is to bring up the old g#*ts or potatoes argument.   ;)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Full Chisel

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 04, 2013, 10:19:30 AM
Just a thought here,
Who can believe the hackers were hired as "hit men" by a major saw  manufacturer?

This time, I'm with HolmenTree. There is no shortage of sensitive and copyright protected information/files being openly exchanged on Arborist Site. I appreciate being able to access accurate  technical nomenclature for my equipment as well as the next logger. However if it belongs to someone else and is proprietary for the dealers, Joe Tree Care on the street has to pound it out for himself. That's what a forum is, not a clearing house for hijacked manuals that belong to a corporation. Another reason an OPE manufacturer might look for ways to bottleneck a site which openly promotes modification to their chainsaws is liability and the fact that if you blow it up from running 200 PSI, it looks like a shortcoming on the manufacturer's end when there was a middle man who ground off the nickasil.
Jed: Jethro, how's come they ain't no ice in Kali Forni-a?

Jethro: Don't look at me Uncle Jed. I didn't take it.

Jeff

So you are saying that a company would be willing create criminal liability in trade for consumer liability?  I suppose it would make a good novel, but can one really conclude that a company damaging a site and keeping it damaged in front of tens of thousands of their potential customers, who really want the answer to what is going on is at all probable?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Full Chisel

No, Jeff. I'm sure any major manufacturer which can as easily find the links to download their Service Manuals on Arborist Site as I can, is fully capable of stopping Arborist Site legally.

I see Stihl advertises over here instead, BTW.

The EPA on the other hand, can do whatever they wish.

Full Chisel

Just another thought:

Remember Sony XP? They were looking to stop pirating of their music and video files from DVD and CD's. So Sony embedded some code in their stuff so that if a user hijacked the files, the XP code went with it and that allowed Sony full access to the pirate's system as well as easy proof of where the files come from.

Now I don't remember the outcome of the legal battle between Sony and the general market, however, I'm sure there was one. My point is that I do believe that a OPE powerhouse with the engineering firepower to produce M-Tronic and Autotune saws, plus the technical prowess/managerial expertise required to manage websites and market a product worldwide, would also have the programming savvy to embed enough code in their digital files which are owned by them to access them anywhere on the net where the files are stored. 

It don't matter how well you back up data or what kind of software you monitor your system with, if ya click the wrong thing, you are done.

Plan-b

Quote from: SawTroll on October 04, 2013, 11:02:29 AM
;D I sort of doubt that Stihl is to blame for the hacking at the AS - but they do hunt down sites that systematically list links to their IPLs and manuals....

Hey SawTroll, I think stihl is going after you next!  Something about calling saws porkey...

Some manufactures require a pay per use of manuals, you purchase a subscription for a year...
all and all I have never paid to use a manual, and will try to keep it that way.
Team Junk

Thank You Sponsors!