iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Arboristsite Hacked

Started by sharkey, September 10, 2013, 06:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlandrum

I for one am taking steps to insure that the as web site being down doesn't effect my bottom line again.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

Al_Smith

Good plan Terry .From the buzz on the net you're not the only one . ;)

half_full

Quote from: woodbine on October 07, 2013, 07:04:17 AM
One of the main reasons I switched from Arboristsite to Forestry Forum was to get away from the deluge of inane posts about everything that wasn't to do with timber, most of which should have been on Facebook or Twitter. Let's hope these punters are not desperate enough for their daily dose of gossip about what they had for breakfast  that they transfer to this site even if only temporarily.

I was a daily reader on AS. I always avoided the off topic or rants. I wouldn't read threads with certain topics like which oil is best, stihl vs husky,,, what I have I use. I don't care if it's the BEST or not. If it works very well, it's best for me.
It's all about how you use and interact with the forum overall.

Al_Smith

Oh certainly you must enjoy the oil wars .It's the high light of my week when I can crank up the Amsoil crowd . :D

All I'll  say about the subject site is it used to be fun .What happened I have not a clue or why .I could speculate but have chosen not to . :-X

Then you never know this site used to be impossible to post pictures on at one but good ole Jeff fixed that .A million thanks if I haven't said something before about it .

nmurph

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 07, 2013, 02:40:19 PM...this site used to be impossible to post pictures on at one but good ole Jeff fixed that .A million thanks if I haven't said something before about it .

That's good to know, it's one of the reasons I never posted much here.

Jeff

I keep thinking about this, and I just want to say that I hope you guys that are here because The ArboristSite is down, keep a positive attitude and continued support for Darin. I get sick to my stomach even thinking about being down like that. I know what it is like. In 2007 we had a hard drive failure and server crash. I thought I had backup at that time, because it said it my contract, that if I ever needed back up, they would send me a C.D. for $100.  Well, that catastrophic day came, and I was told, that the offer was to create a back up BEFORE I needed it for $100.  Luckily we were able to recover our data from the first 7 years from the presumably broken hard drive. Turns out, the hard drive was fine, but the server OS had been corrupted.  I learned a lot back then and hopefully, Forestry Forum data now has all the safety nets it will ever need.

Stuff happens. without the support I had back them from the membership, I might have given up, and that is no joke. I felt defeated. The support I got back then lifted me up and enabled me to find a solution.  Darin needs every bit of positive support you can muster for him.  If you enjoyed being a member of the arboristsite, then I think you owe him that. Keep the faith and he'll find a way to get back to being a great site for you. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Full Chisel

Quote from: woodbine on October 07, 2013, 07:04:17 AM
One of the main reasons I switched from Arboristsite to Forestry Forum was to get away from the deluge of inane posts about everything that wasn't to do with timber, most of which should have been on Facebook or Twitter. Let's hope these punters are not desperate enough for their daily dose of gossip about what they had for breakfast  that they transfer to this site even if only temporarily.

We're a diverse crowd. The rants and gossip/drama is conspicuously absent on FF, but there is plenty of good times with different builds and projects some of these guys do. One member here built a masonry pizza oven that will knock your socks off. See, everything in this life is connected to timber really. Kinda hard to cook them pizzas in the outdoor oven unless you had a few sticks of oak, if ya know what I mean. They say here that dairy cattle are the foster mothers of the human race. If that is so, then trees are the Grandmother.
Jed: Jethro, how's come they ain't no ice in Kali Forni-a?

Jethro: Don't look at me Uncle Jed. I didn't take it.

SawTroll

Quote from: old guy on October 07, 2013, 09:12:41 AM
Another lost AS member here, where do I stack my saws? There was a wealth of information over there and I hope this is the same. I promise never to mention B---n, it wasn't my thing either, good to see familier names here.

John

There are lots of different chainsaw forums, and the turnaround of chainsaw info likely is larger on the AS than on all the others combined - at least if you need a forum that is in English lingo. Don't expect quite the same here (sorry Jeff, but it is a fact).

Some times you need a thicker skin to be there though - but I have no problem with that....

It doesn't hurt to be a member on a few different forums - it just gives you more options.

Btw, I have just made around 10 posts there, so it isn't totally dead at the moment. ;)
Information collector.

exSW

It keeps getting harder and harder to log on to AS with a PC.You just about have to hack your way in and then once your in you can't go any where.These are sophisticated hackers,the longer this goes on the harder it gets.You guys that are haveing no problems useing your phones,they just haven't got to you yet.
"well I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison"

SawTroll

Of course the hacker(s) read everything that is posted (likely on here as well) about how to get in and post, and try to counter it - if they are serious.  >:(
Information collector.

exSW

Quote from: SawTroll on October 07, 2013, 06:30:30 PM
Of course the hacker(s) read everything that is posted (likely on here as well) about how to get in and post, and try to counter it - if they are serious.  >:(
Idon't think they are actually watching,just have Trojens set up throughout the site that tracks the activity and then counters.

Al_Smith

Quote from: SawTroll on October 07, 2013, 05:08:28 PM

There are lots of different chainsaw forums, and the turnaround of chainsaw info likely is larger on the AS than on all the others combined - at least if you need a forum that is in English lingo. Don't expect quite the same here (sorry Jeff, but it is a fact).
I agree with that statement but only partially .Every web forum attracts a certain crowd .Some could be arborists,some loggers ,some sawmill operators ,some just a general crowd .Some could be a gathering place primarily for chainsaw mechanics and engine builders and general junk yard dawgs .

While I'll agree there is or was some good info about chainsaws on AS it's not the most informative in my opinion .But again that's only my personal opinion .It certainly does not have as much as all the other sites combined by a long shot .

Yeah maybe if you like patty cake games of people cheer leading their favorite builder or which oil is better one might think it's best .Little games of who makes the best saw,it's your bag .How to wrench on one or hop one up ,not so .

SawTroll

I don't like the cheer leading regarding certain "builders" either - or the mutual support between some of them, as if they found the eternal truth.....
Information collector.

martyinmi

Couldn't agree with ya any more my dear uncle Al!
I go on vacations to the AS about once a month to catch up on gossip. For me, the AS is sorta like a soap opera- in that one can keep distanced from it for months, then go back and know exactly what has happened after reading for just a few minutes, and predict what will happen by the time you visit a month later.
It's always nice to get back home to my Forestry Forum!
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

SawTroll

Quote from: exSW on October 07, 2013, 06:44:30 PM
Quote from: SawTroll on October 07, 2013, 06:30:30 PM
Idon't think they are actually watching,just have Trojens set up throughout the site that tracks the activity and then counters.

Could well be!
Information collector.

Al_Smith

Oh I'm not cutting the people down it's just that every site develops kind of a "flavor" for want of a better word .

Like good ole Magnus .On that site alone is the greatest combined brain trust of all of them regarding collectors . Some of those guys have likely forgotten more than I will ever know .

That list goes on depending about what praticular facet you are talking about .This site right here has the greatest  collection of sawmill operators of any of them,combined or singular .

I find it all interesting myself which is why with exception of a few I visit many .

exSW

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 07, 2013, 08:49:19 PM
Oh I'm not cutting the people down it's just that every site develops kind of a "flavor" for want of a better word .

Like good ole Magnus .On that site alone is the greatest combined brain trust of all of them regarding collectors . Some of those guys have likely forgotten more than I will ever know .

That list goes on depending about what praticular facet you are talking about .This site right here has the greatest  collection of sawmill operators of any of them,combined or singular .

I find it all interesting myself which is why with exception of a few I visit many .
I've noticed that aready,real strong on mills and timber.

Full Chisel

It appears the vulnerability exploited very likely arose from a hack some sites are attempting use to link to their F-book accounts where a, "Like" on the vBull forum equals a F-book, "like." What kind of credit do you get from somebody hitting your,"Like," button? Do you get paid if internet users "Like" you?

Wow, maybe F-book is laying the hammer down.
Jed: Jethro, how's come they ain't no ice in Kali Forni-a?

Jethro: Don't look at me Uncle Jed. I didn't take it.

Jeff

My understanding is it comes in via the forum software and exploits an apache server using FollowSymlinks to gain what amounts to root access to the server.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

old guy

I was actually able to hit the AB site page today, there was a note saying they were working on software.

John

exSW

Quote from: old guy on October 09, 2013, 10:11:34 AM
I was actually able to hit the AB site page today, there was a note saying they were working on software.

John
Same here.Like this site though,has a lot of what AS didn't.

angelo c

Quote from: SawTroll on October 07, 2013, 05:08:28 PM
Quote from: old guy on October 07, 2013, 09:12:41 AM

John

Btw, I have just made around 10 posts there, so it isn't totally dead at the moment. ;)

10 posts ? you need to get back to work big fella !!!!! :)
wife,kids,dog,t-shirts to prove it

angelo c

AS expatriate as well here.

For me AS has a wide ranging following. its always interesting to me how I can be friends with someone in Australia who has nothing in common with me other then a love for Chainsaws. He'll stop whatever he's doing to look up, find and ship a part to me for nothing, just to help me get a (pretty much valueless) saw running.

yes there is nonsense but that happens anywhere. people are all unsure how to act behind a laptop no less a cell phone. something is lost in the "face to face" communication skill that is dying click by click.

good to see some of my buds posting here too.
wife,kids,dog,t-shirts to prove it

old guy

I was just able to get back on the site, I was even still logged in. Since I don't see any saw building or raceing 0r GTGs or charity woodcutting on here I guess I won't be here much, I am disappointed in that.

John

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!