iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Arboristsite Hacked

Started by sharkey, September 10, 2013, 06:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Thanks for coming to visit. Come back any time. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mikey517

Well, hope nobody minds, but I'll still come here! I joined AS & FF one month apart at the end of 2010. Also joined another site dealing with firewood, saws, and burning wood for heat. Since then, I've visited these three forums repeatedly throughout a "normal" day.

I've got so much more to learn about this wood stuff... :D

JOE.G

I like both sites and I visit both sites the same, AS Has the Homeowners forum and the chain saw forum that i enjoy, The rest of eh logging and wood mill stuff This board I enjoy more. The chainsaw Forum here is a bit slow, Each site has it's pro's and con's. People tend to be more laid back on this site.
Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported .025 pop up MM
Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
STIHL 009 1998
STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower 2012

Al_Smith

Yeah I made mention of the fact every forum has it's main focal points which is determined by the memberships' interests .

As far as saw engine building and I'll be brutally honest you really won't find many saw builders giving away many secrets .Really there isn't any real secrets it's things that have been done since the two cycle engine was invented to enhance the performance .

mesquite buckeye

AS was working this afternoon.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 07, 2013, 08:49:19 PM
Like good ole Magnus .On that site alone is the greatest combined brain trust of all of them regarding collectors . Some of those guys have likely forgotten more than I will ever know .
I agree top chainsaw site out there. Some of the Chainsaw Collectors Corner member's have been working on and running saws since the 1st one man saw was introduced on the market.
Not just old saws either is covered ,lot's of good tech stuff on the latest technology also.
I've learned the most from Magnus's site, and still learning lots.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

nmurph

Kudos to Jeff throughout this AS situation.

I am impressed with the professional manner you have maintained throughout the AS hack job. You could have turned it into an AS attack-fest but have not done so. I also like the more family-friendly nature of this site. I'm not a prude, I've raised more cane than most, but when the kid came along I began to realize that I needed to set an example for him and his generation. I am troubled sometimes by the some of the things going on at other sites (I know AS isn't the worst, by far). I give you two thumbs up for keeping this site clean.

exSW

I like this site the way it is,a wholesale import of AS people(like me) would change that.I like AS for what it is,fast moving,deep but fairly specific field of knowledge.And oh yeah at 12:01PM Thursday the AS redirect was back.
"well I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison"

mikey517

sharkey

Quote from: mikey517 on October 10, 2013, 01:54:48 PM
......and

it's baaaack!!

Dont be so sure.  I tried logging in there last night when saw troll said it was up.  As soon as the page loaded my antivirus hit.  Sure enough picked up some nasty that was changing characteristics of the other sites I visited.   

Sunrise Guy

The site is now back to only the redirect virus.  You cannot get on it.  Please, those who believe they are more up on this issue than others, stop telling folks that the problem may be in their own computer.  That is absolute nonsense, as scores of (former) AS users can testify.  The site administrator seems to not be up to the task of doing what needs to be done, or is, understandably, reluctant to do so:  The complete site must be rebuilt, the servers wiped clean.  I appreciate the fact that the administrator is trying to preserve the wellspring of excellent info the site contains, at present, but the redirect virus is simply too sophisticated and/or too deeply buried/entrenched in the inner workings of the forum program to not rear its ugly head almost as soon as the admin thinks he has eradicated it.  Start over, and best of luck to you!

Sunrise Guy

I hasten to say that just this morning I posted on AS about the advisability of the international forum, featuring posts in many different languages.  Unless the admin is a polyglot, that forum seems strongly ill-advised, as the use of other languages can easily disguise the intent of a given post and even the conspiring of like-minded individuals to bring a site to its knees.  Were I the admin, I'd quickly get rid of the international forum, the next time around, after wiping the servers clean.

flashhole

I can't get on AS.  I like the forum but I believe it is time for an extended break.  Can you imagine the level of frustration those guys are going through.  I hope this site is not hacked.
Remember - Always have your Democrats spayed or neutered - Anne Coulter

john_bud

AS was showing a message that the forum was "closed", then later it was "linkbucked up", now showing the closed message.

Shame those dirty hack-wads buggering up a nice site :(
280 acres of tree farm

Icehouse

Just tried same results. I sure agree with you about the "hack-wads", will get better one day, advertisers logos are working, that is progress. :(
Favorite Stihl ms361 ms064 Favorite Husky 242xp 262xp

SlimJim

I wonder if this hacker has an eco anti-logging problem or maybe a disgruntled member? Seems strange to mess up a site devoted to tree care and forestry?  Do sites on cooking get hacked?

gologit

Quote from: nmurph on October 10, 2013, 11:32:01 AM

I am impressed with the professional manner you have maintained throughout the AS hack job. You could have turned it into an AS attack-fest but have not done so. I also like the more family-friendly nature of this site. I'm not a prude, I've raised more cane than most, but when the kid came along I began to realize that I needed to set an example for him and his generation. I am troubled sometimes by the some of the things going on at other sites (I know AS isn't the worst, by far). I give you two thumbs up for keeping this site clean.

Well said..
Semi-retired...life is good.

Jeff

For those that don't know about it, there is an arboristsite facebook fan page where Daren is trying to keep you updated on what is going on.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/56478707772/

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

nmurph

Quote from: SlimJim on October 16, 2013, 08:59:39 AM
I wonder if this hacker has an eco anti-logging problem or maybe a disgruntled member? Seems strange to mess up a site devoted to tree care and forestry?  Do sites on cooking get hacked?

It's not just AS but a string of sites using a particular version of Vbullentin with a vunerability that has been exploited.

exSW

Quote from: nmurph on October 16, 2013, 09:31:05 AM
Quote from: SlimJim on October 16, 2013, 08:59:39 AM

It's not just AS but a string of sites using a particular version of Vbullentin with a vunerability that has been exploited.
Yep,did a little research,the hacker group that did this has gone after a bunch of sites all at the same time.For what purpose it is unknown.

chadihman

I miss AS and hope they get it resolved soon. This site looks pretty darn cool too.

exSW

Quote from: chadihman on October 16, 2013, 08:22:07 PM
I miss AS and hope they get it resolved soon. This site looks pretty darn cool too.
It is.What took you so long?

chadihman

Quote from: exSW on October 16, 2013, 09:21:30 PM
Quote from: chadihman on October 16, 2013, 08:22:07 PM
It is.What took you so long?
I had enough and started searching for other chainsaw forums today. I entered my username and I got username already used. I forgot I registered back in May but today was my first post here. Wow I'm seeing lots of AS members here.

sharkey

Its pretty obvious that Darin is in over his head.  Here he is on the Vbulletin website asking if someone needs a job.     

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?s=2d2759b7a50414e020c4b5e3d4c2996d&t=302836

SawTroll

Quote from: nmurph on October 10, 2013, 11:32:01 AM

I agree, but still think AS is needed, as there are more activity, and the "roof" is somewhat higher. Of course the higher roof also means you need a "thicker skin" to be there, but I have no problem with that.

Actually there are quite a few US chainsaw related forums that complement each other nicely, and I don't really see any hostility between them.  :)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!