iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Arboristsite Hacked

Started by sharkey, September 10, 2013, 06:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shootingarts

I could get in last night, can't this morning even using a control-refresh which should force a new search, not from cache.

Was trying to find a particular old thread but I can't get in at all.

Hu :o

ReggieT

Quote from: shootingarts on November 05, 2013, 10:59:10 AM
I could get in last night, can't this morning even using a control-refresh which should force a new search, not from cache.

Was trying to find a particular old thread but I can't get in at all.

Hu :o
Just tried to get on 10 min ago...no luck...although I did spend some time last night...engaged in some verbal one-upsmanship...as usual! :D 

Icehouse

Site sure is different looking guess we'll get use to it.
Favorite Stihl ms361 ms064 Favorite Husky 242xp 262xp

chucker

looks different for sure! but still the same friendly people with old school hospitality for those that were here from day one to the new members.
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

turnkey

Seems the "political/religious" views forum has sorta been left out.  Kinda enjoyed the cat fights in there.  Hope they bring it back.

Harry K

terry f

JOE.G

Did you guys have to re register? I am a bit nervous of going there and getting virus.
Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported .025 pop up MM
Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
STIHL 009 1998
STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower 2012

Grimmy

Quote from: JOE.G on November 06, 2013, 08:28:13 AM
Did you guys have to re register? I am a bit nervous of going there and getting virus.

If your anti virus is up to date you don't have anything to be worried about.

Spike60

Just went to have a look and Linkbucks is still there. At first, I got the home page. Then tried to log in and it went directly to linkbucks. Tried it on the shop computer in the back, and.....right to linkbucks. Hilarious.  :D
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

tlandrum

I guess link bucks didn't read that it wasn't allowed. I seem to remember telling them they were poking a bear with a really short stick by posting that stuff.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

Little Al

Just tried it OK until I tried to post & then the links /bucks junk retried but still no joy

JOE.G

Man I don't understand computer stuff all that well, But the virus must really have spread though all of his stuff.

Also Why do people start up sites, Say Jeff here for example do they Make money from the people that Advertise on the site? I am guessing so , I am sure there has to be expense besides all of the the Headaches to keep it going.

Is the money worth it?
Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported .025 pop up MM
Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
STIHL 009 1998
STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower 2012

ZeroJunk

I'm not a computer tech either. But, I suspect somebody who really is a tech has made a hobby out of AS.

thecfarm

It's kinda like owning an expensive piece of equipment. Fine when it is running good,but bad when you have trouble.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JohnG28

Quote from: Jeff on November 02, 2013, 09:34:26 PM
Joe Kidd  It's kinda funny what his real name looks like when you replace two letters with two Asterisks.  ;D

I thought that was intended as a shot at you, Jeff. :D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Paul_H

Quote from: JOE.G on November 06, 2013, 09:06:14 AM

Also Why do people start up sites, Say Jeff here for example do they Make money from the people that Advertise on the site? I am guessing so , I am sure there has to be expense besides all of the the Headaches to keep it going.

You're right, there is more to life than money  :)

Origins of the Forestry Forum
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

lpresnell

Could this be an inside job? Something suspicious is going on.

gologit

Quote from: tlandrum on November 06, 2013, 08:59:18 AM
I guess link bucks didn't read that it wasn't allowed. I seem to remember telling them they were poking a bear with a really short stick by posting that stuff.

I think you're right.  It's gone way beyond just a simple hacking and seems to have turned into something personal and malicious.
Semi-retired...life is good.

shootingarts

Most site owners are gluttons for punishment, particularly in the early days. If I'm not way mistaken not one site in a hundred justifies the money, time, and headaches put into it. I have co-owned and administered sites long ago as well as being a mod other places.

Although it is dinosaur certification that means nothing now, back in the nineties I was a MasterCNE. Network certification didn't get any better, there were less than two thousand of us in the world. I know nothing about the practical side of working on computers and networks anymore, plenty of theory. It could be that someone is continuing to attack the arborist site, more likely a well written attack to begin with. The attack file may have embedded itself into other files and renamed or destroyed the original files. A lot of nasties are possible. It can be almost impossible to clean the files without major time and dollars spent if the attack software hasn't already been broken down and defended against. Many years ago someone gave my brother the beta of a new game that wasn't even anywhere near beta release. They also unknowingly gave him the beta of a virus. Since nobody including Norton and McAffee had ever seen it getting it off of a handful of machines was very hard. One friend completely rebuilt his system. He decided his favorite wallpaper jpeg was too cool to give up. Bam! Time to rebuild the machine again.

Norton offered to name the virus after me if I sent them a copy. "Let's see, what I really want is for dozens of workstations and the servers to start crashing where I am running the IT department and then we discover the attacker is named Hu's Bug." Somehow I managed to decline the honor! Unofficially named the nasty varmint Jojo the Dogfaced Boy, don't know what it was named.

Hate to say it but unless there are good older offline back-ups I suspect everything at the arborist site include the database files are history. It could take one or two people months working full time to manually clean everything and that might be optimistic. At this point I think they need a good programmer to even try to defend against the attack if linkbucks is back. No idea what skills the owner(s) have. 

(edit)
#&#^@*&$#&^!! in my best Snuffy Smith imitation! Swapped to firefox for a little more protection and went to AS. Linkbucks is back on the main page now, for me anyway.

Hu

mikey517

Quote from: gologit on November 06, 2013, 10:07:47 AM

I think you're right.  It's gone way beyond just a simple hacking and seems to have turned into something personal and malicious.

Could not agree more.....

....and it's baaaaaaaaaaaaack!!! :-[

terry f

Clicked on it and got in, signed in and it still worked, so far so good.

turnkey

That's what I thought.  Instant challenge to the hackers

Harry K

gologit

This is a good site.  Lots of information available without all the drama and childish behavior that some of the other places have.

AS is back up, this time for good I hope, but I'll be spending a lot of time here, too.
Semi-retired...life is good.

Icehouse

Have been on AS some and left some posts with no problem. Have no problem going back so I guess it's working again. Some of the stuff seems to not be working, the search for one thing. I use the search more than anything you can find anything on AS search as far as repairs or mods, good reading through sometimes a bunch of dribble. I don't plan on leaving this site soon bunch of good folks here, I enjoy my time.
Favorite Stihl ms361 ms064 Favorite Husky 242xp 262xp

thecfarm

I can say one thing for you guys from AS. You all are keeping the chainsaw board busy.  ;D  Would be kinda slow there. Not anymore.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!