iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Arboristsite Hacked

Started by sharkey, September 10, 2013, 06:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Quote from: gologit on November 06, 2013, 05:49:05 PM
This is a good site.  Lots of information available without all the drama and childish behavior that some of the other places have.

AS is back up, this time for good I hope, but I'll be spending a lot of time here, too.
Amen!

UniversalFogger

It's back down, asking for password and sign in.  Hope he gets it figured out, what a nightmare.

UniversalFogger

I spoke to soon, working again. 

turnkey

Quote from: UniversalFogger on November 06, 2013, 10:41:16 PM
I spoke to soon, working again.

I'm not in yet.  Seems it lost my new password.  I'll have to go through the "forgotten password routine agan" (third time).  too late tonight.

Harry K

missedbass

Quote from: gologit on November 06, 2013, 05:49:05 PM
This is a good site.  Lots of information available without all the drama and childish behavior that some of the other places have.

AS is back up, this time for good I hope, but I'll be spending a lot of time here, too.
This is great site, lots of info and low key. Thanks Jeff! Also good to see that AS is back up
Stihl ms271
Fiskars x27

angelo c

Quote from: thecfarm on November 06, 2013, 07:38:03 PM
I can say one thing for you guys from AS. You all are keeping the chainsaw board busy.  ;D  Would be kinda slow there. Not anymore.

that's one of the differences at AS. I would describe it as a "Primarily Chainsaw" driven viewership. and a very passionate one at that. Some of us AS expatriates are a little looney for our saws...I mean I can name a few guys off the top of my head that own north of 100 saws that they know of...all of which run and are run regularly( and nobody thinks that's strange)
here its a much broader base of viewers. some of the posters here use a saw because they "HAVE" to, to get a cant to the mill...I cant even spell mill...
and us AS guys are used to the loosely defined social banter some of which might not be accepted as appropriate elsewhere. But at 2am in the morning I can ask the most obscure question about the most obscure saw and someone in some part of the world gives me the answer and often enough the part for the repair, often just for the love of helping a brother out. hopefully y'all will bend a little more then normal to lets us "fit in" with the rest of y'all and we can solve world hunger together...or a save few more saws...what ever is more important.
wife,kids,dog,t-shirts to prove it

Jeff

I'm always willing to accept, but bend, when it comes to rules of conduct on what is meant to be and always has been a family site, fit for all ages, No.

Believe me, and if you knew me in real life or worked with me, you would know I can fit in elsewhere with no problem. This website's rules do not come from my being a prude. It comes from having initial respect for everyone.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

shootingarts

Quote from: Jeff on November 07, 2013, 11:10:28 AM
I'm always willing to accept, but bend, when it comes to rules of conduct on what is meant to be and always has been a family site, fit for all ages, No.

Believe me, and if you knew me in real life or worked with me, you would know I can fit in elsewhere with no problem. This website's rules do not come from my being a prude. It comes from having initial respect for everyone.

Jeff,

As far as I am concerned the golden rule applies, he who has the gold . . .  When somebody else wants the headache and cost of putting together a site they can do things their way on their site. I do agree a bunch of good guys on AS but more of a locker room atmosphere.

Years ago I was co-owner and co-admin of a political site. Didn't exactly want it and there is a bit of a long story about why I opened it as a "partner site" to one that closed a political forum. Anyway, my rules were identical to yours, family site and a hard black line. As a result we were able to talk about religion, race, things that were impossible on a less civil forum and always cost a banning or two.

As you know there is a black line that you have drawn. Move it anywhere more lenient and it becomes umpteen shades of gray. Black lines are easier for people to adhere to. Guess that is why my employees at my business had a saying they adhered to, "Hu's way or the highway." Fired a few people I didn't want to but everyone knew where they stood.

You have a great site here and judging by the ad's a profitable one. Congratulations! That ain't easy.

Hu

angelo c

Quote from: Jeff on November 07, 2013, 11:10:28 AM

Jeff,
Im obviously new here and can't find the guidelines or posting rules. can you point me out a link ?
just trying to learn the lay of the land here. thanks.
A

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

angelo c

beenthere

And a good way to think of posting, is if you would hesitate to say it in Jeff's living room with family around, then likely not a good way to say it that way here. ;) 
Most of the time, the words used don't really contribute to the message.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

angelo c

Quote from: beenthere on November 07, 2013, 02:37:15 PM
And a good way to think of posting, is if you would hesitate to say it in Jeff's living room with family around, then likely not a good way to say it that way here. ;) 
Most of the time, the words used don't really contribute to the message.

I'm with ya, but often the tone or inferences made are far more damaging then the language no matter whose living room (or computer) we are in. all told the innernet isn't a communication smooth surface yet.

WildDog

I am sitting on the recliner watching "Crocodile Dundee 3" with my 7 year old son sitting on the armrest reading the FF posts with me, I don't have to worry at all about what he's reading. That's what the FF means to me. I am monitoring the movie but, so far so good. :)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

martyinmi

Quote from: WildDog on November 08, 2013, 04:45:58 AM
I am sitting on the recliner watching "Crocodile Dundee 3" with my 7 year old son sitting on the armrest reading the FF posts with me, I don't have to worry at all about what he's reading. That's what the FF means to me. I am monitoring the movie but, so far so good. :)
Sums it up PERFECTLY! :) :)
My kid does basically the same thing. 8)
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Al_Smith

You know the ironic part about all this and I'm not being picky is if this much time was spent on the site you guys so admire even mentioning another site other than AS would get every single one of you  banned .Now that's a fact Jack I've seen it .

ZeroJunk

Quote from: Al_Smith on November 08, 2013, 07:06:39 PM
You know the ironic part about all this and I'm not being picky is if this much time was spent on the site you guys so admire even mentioning another site other than AS would get every single one of you  banned .Now that's a fact Jack I've seen it .

I'm not sure about getting you banned, but it wouldn't last any longer than it took one of the mods to see it. I thought about that when I first saw this thread. AS would never let it stand.

tlandrum

as has an ignorant policy when it comes to mentioning other sites. ive never seen anyone so worried that we might also post somewhere else. personally I am active on atleast a half dozen forums.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

Andyshine77

If I'm banned from a site, I'm banned, it matters little to me, as I have a life outside the internet. Now some have a vested interest in these chainsaw forums. Brad, Randy, Tlandrum and many others all profit from these sites, I myself does not, so I could honestly care less. If a site welcomes me, that's great!! if not so be it, my life goes on all the same. 
Andre.

STIHLFULLSKIP

A.S. is definately full of drama and drama queens for that matter. this site is where it is at if you are looking for good info and atmosphere. it is nice to see that the undesierables were turned away and this site will stay family friendly.

sharkey

Anybody else notice that the older posts are gone?  Gone are all the port maps and engine degree threads?  What a loss.

H 2 H

Quote from: STIHLFULLSKIP on November 10, 2013, 07:51:51 AM
A.S. is definately full of drama and drama queens for that matter. this site is where it is at if you are looking for good info and atmosphere. it is nice to see that the undesierables were turned away and this site will stay family friendly.

It sure is  ;)
Brian

Old BROWN eyes strikes again !

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

".... guess you need to do more than read specs, and look at pictures !"

Al_Smith

I tried it at work because I refuse to access that site from my home computor .It's definately different .

I noticed the old mods apparently are gone( or changed their log on names ) ;) and the membership dropped to around 50 thousand ,from  a once  reported 90 some thou .I question that high of number but hey it's on the internet so it must be true . ;D

old 030

well it's been just over two months since the hack, is the site safe to go to now?.................. :-\

Al_Smith

Probabley is .If your computor goes bonkers though it might be a bad idea . :D

Thank You Sponsors!