iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

At it again, when will I learn.

Started by Jeff, May 16, 2004, 03:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Bro_Noble:

Get out your chop-stick sized cue sticks.  I'de say 20 foot by 16 foot would be just right for a pool room. Remember you have to have room to follow through with the cue stick so it could be poking back behind you by 4 feet if the cue ball is close to the table edge. And you don't want to hit the wife in the bread basket (if she is standing behind you) when you make the big shot and pull the cue stick way back for the follow through. Lookout for the picture window to, be kinda drafty this winter with pains of glass knocked out. :D :D ;)

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bruce_A

They make a computer pool game , takes up alot less room, and you can get to the forum faster.

SwampDonkey

Man oh man, I heard that some contractors here aren't even using tar paper under the shingles. And puttin it down on aspenite? hmm its gonna be 6" boards and tar paper on any of my roofs.

Jeff, As far as I can make of your roofing project, I'de have to follow cktate's lead. I've not shingled much , but did on occassion help out neighbors and relatives when I was lots younger. So most times I was either 'in the road' or I was sack'n shingles or on the end of a shovel ripping them off. Certainly no authority here. All my buildings have steel or aluminum roofing here and with the old spruce and hemlock they used on these old roofs you need a crow bar to pull the nails. Father put the roofin on back in the 60's and I ain't had to climb up there on them steep pitches to hammer no nails in yet.
'Knock on wood.'  

I would like to some day shingle the roof when I scrape up the cash to convert that big attic into living quarters. I got 25x 30 ft (inside space) to work with there. The floor up there is already insulated and re-inforced with 6x6" carrying beam. Way too big for an attic. ;)  I'de post my floor plans but they are in pencil and on tabloid paper which when shrunk to 300 pixels would look like hen scratch. (there are two stories to the plans). I've got high ceilings in this place which gives me over 30 feet from ground level to peek of the the old roof. Some of this remodeling is mostly pipe dreams at this stage of my life. Champaign tastes with a beer drinker's pocket book. Actually, I don't touch either. So that's probably a rung lower on the latter. :D :D ;D

Take time out to smell those crabbe apple blossums out front of your home. Good luck with your roofing project. ;)

cheers

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Those crab apple blossoms are a pain in the pitoot right now. All over in da house.

Here is da house corners logs debarked. At least we got sumpthin done. I will let them dry a few days with the bark off then start cutting the corners out of them. Sure could use a swinger or a double cut right now for that. Sure be easier!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Yeah, the trouble with crabbe apple is they only last a week in bloom, then the petals are all over the place. Ya should'a had a lilac there big guy. ;)  :D :D

Yeah, I'de go with the cedar or natural siding after seeing HBO's 'Blue Vinyl' documentary about vinyl tetrachloride siding on most people's homes including windows and doors. I pitty those poor saps in the factories or communities near where its made.

etat

I just found out Ashleys, one of the local furniture factories here is IMPORTING OSB from the Philippines!  The person who told me this works there and told me they got a load in that had so much formaldehyde in it it'd make your eyes burn.  Lotsa folks complaining.  I wouldn't swear this is true one way or another.  But I talked to the guy and his wife for over two hours about his roof, his job, goats, welding, his wifes flowers, gardening, heck they live way out in the country and I don't think they every have visitors hardly.  He showed me his shop and every tool he owned. He's a mantenance guy. They acted like it hurt their feelings when I did finally leave.

Haven't sold em a roof yet, but I did enjoy visiting with them and the guy seemed like a honest person.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Furby

Before my dad got his billiard room, we had an 8' bar table in our 12' familyroom. Not so bad, untill you remember that the house has 3 1/2' tall cement walls that stick out 6" into that 12'. Then there is the 18" deep fireplace, with the 12" mantle, and the book shelves next to it. You just kind of learn how to shoot with the butt of your cue aimed at the ceiling.  ::)
My dad now has a 18' x 26' billiard room, but still can't play because the room has been filled with other stuff. However the table is great to work off of, I stained and finished all the parts for the front steps on it a few months back and it now has the new front door being finished on it.  ;D

I know how to sew, but never did learn to knit. One thing I used to make was a bag from the leg of an old pair of blue jeans. Put a good stitch in the cut end, and leave the end of the leg on, and you had a bag that could hold up to about anything!  ;D

So Jeff, how are you planning on cutting those logs???

Jeff

With a level, a square, a chalk line, a Dewalt circular saw and a chainsaw.

SwampDonkey

Only thing I made from cloth is sling shots. I tried one day to hit a barn swallow in a flock of'm swoop'n and dive bomb'n all over. I did hit one on a  fluke and knocked the wind out of it. I didn't like what I did, so it was the last of the sling shots. ;)

Jeff

Between the rain squalls Tammy and I got one of da big boys up. 17 feet is about all we can handle. Got two more of these to put up at the end of the house. That Tammy, shes an ANIMAL!  ;)  Sorry honey. ;D She did most of the roof crawling tonight. My current physical "situation" had me pretty useless today. I still gotta cut the old front facia back a couple trusses to tie in the new overhang.

etat

You also need to take out some decking when you tear the roof off so your decking boards won't have a hinge effect up and down that edge. Recently I reroofed a house that had such a hinge effect. Dang thing was built that way.  The outside fly rafter had drooped quite a bit over the years and was kind of a bugger to straighten out.  You'll know what I'm talking about if you step out on that edge while you're roofing it.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Jeff

Jeff

Left to right...

Jeremy (my son)  On the truck is me, then Jeremys friend Tim siiting and his other friend floyd on da peak. Now the hard part. The shingles were stapled and every one of them stayed in the roof.  Found the problem with a weak spot. No nails other then around the edges of on sheet of OSB plus it looks like it was broke when it was put on.

Nice Day! oughta be fishin. Although you see I got the tough job so far. ;D

I put the shingles in da truck. Those ones you see are from the other side.

ADfields

Ain't staples fun ;D ::) ::)  Ya could just pound them in and put your felt over them that don't have a small tab of shingle under them.  As you nail off the field of the sheathing ::)   Your builder sure cut some corners on you. :-/
Andy

SwampDonkey

Them 3 young fellers take much team'n boss? :D :D :D

Put'm right to work. :)

etat

I bet it's really nice to have a son with friends like that!!1

I meant to tell you, when yall start putting on shingles whenever possible start on the left side of the section of roof you're on and work to the right.  It's much easier on your back nailing on, especially if you're right handed.  Starting on the right somehow messes with the natural cordination of the body and tends to keep you in a twist that becomes very uncomfortable before the day is over.  Always run a down shingle along the bottom edge, AND up the eaves. Make sure that there are no edges of the first course of shingles that line up with the downshingles.

Jim_Rogers

I was up on my roof the other day, looking at the job I have ahead of me, with a friend who has a roofing nail gun that he's going to loan to me to re-roof my shop.
We figured it was about 12 squares. It's a shed roof over a four door car garage, so the slope isn't that bad.
We found one area where it appears that the plywood has lifted off the rafter, so we're planning on stripping the old roofing first, doing one quarter of the roof per session.
He'd going to help me and we are going to inspect and repair all bad plywood as we go.
I hate even thinking of going to a lumber yard and buying plywood when I own a sawmill. Any suggestions?
My roof has only one chimney coming threw it. But it has a seam were another bay was added. This addition had roll roofing put over it, which failed in a few years and then it was shingled over (I believe). They ran the addition shingles over the seam a ways and we thought we might run our new shingles over that seam the other way, but may try and weave them together.
This seam is on the left side looking from the eave towards the ridge.
We were planning on starting on the right hand side and working left, but after reading the instruction to begin on the left and work right we might do that.
Will it make any difference using a nail gun?
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

etat

I always use nail guns. Keep the shingles stack to the left when possible, the nail gun and the hose to the right out of the way of your work..  Reach for the shingle with the left hand, place it and shoot it down with the gun in the right hand.  If you have an extra man let him open and slide you shingles as close to in place as possible.  The shooter slightly adjust the shingle in place, and shoots it down.  

ScottAR

What you describe is what seemed to work the best on the last roofing project I helped with.  One nailing, (gun) one placing, and one to feed the placer.  I placed; my buddy nailed.  (his roof)   When I hear the first pop, I start placing as by the time I get a shingle over, the nailing is done.  Goes pretty fast...  
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

etat

Roofing nail guns are wonderful wonderful tools aren't they!  A good nailer can wear them supply guys out!!!!  Only thing is once close to place I like to make the final adjustment myself, and so do my other nailers.  Once that man slides that shingle with us, he better get his hand outta the way!!!!!  Our extra man usually supplies half a bundle at a time.  He slides inplace until he gets down to about 5 or 6 shingles.  Then the nailer takes over while the man goes for another half a bundle.  If he ain't back before them 5 or 6 shingles are shot on, we rush him up, ain't no money being made if that gun ain't shooting!!!  

SwampDonkey

;D :D
You old slave driver, its 'spose to be fun not work. ;) When ever I helped my grandfather or uncle do anything, they never were in a hury to kill themselves. We'de just get started and it was break time.  :D :D

Actually, I'm not like that myself. Once I get goin, there's no stoppin 'til the jobs done. ;D :D :D

Jim_Rogers

cktate:
how do you align the shingles? do you use a chalk line? or how?
Also, after or above the ice and shield across the eave edge do you using roofing paper/felt?
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jeff

Ck, After today I have come to the conclusion I am much older then 42. I am tired, I am in pain, and I only got one side of that thing shingled. I have anchored big tarps to hang over the side I didnt get done. We have rain starting and it will be here for a couple days at least. The gun worked great, it only took me about 5 or 10 minutes to figure out how to load it and adjust it.

Right now I am glad to be done for the day, but a little depressed and thinking I have bit off way more then I can chew. Tammy give me a hug and said "we'll get it" and we will. :)

I'll stagger out and see if I can get a picture before dark and more rain.

chet

Da son has two roof jobs scheduled in a couple of weeks. One is a tear off and reshingle and the other one is a complete roof system on a very large log place. Now that your an old pro, maybe ya could schedule some vacation time and come help. Unlike a certain southern sawyer I'll even treat ya ta beer and pizza. No peas here.  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

If he comes and does mine first I'd sure appreciate it. ;) I sure aint a dr. roof.

Thank You Sponsors!