iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do I need a license plate for my mill?

Started by JSwigga, November 16, 2013, 09:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSwigga

Soon I will be making the long trip from South Jersey to Kansas City to pick up my mill. Around here we can get away with the red/orange fluorescent farm equipment signs.  Are there any laws in other states I should be aware of when it comes to trailering a sawmill? 
60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

POSTON WIDEHEAD

In S.C. we do not need tags or stickers for our trailers. That being said, as long as I have a S.C. license plate on the vehicle I'm pulling my trailer with, I can go any where in the U.S.
Prepare your mill to comply with your state laws and go pick it up. Good Luck.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Some states encourage the use of triangles.  Others will ticket for their improper use.  Since the sawmill is not hauling anything, it technically is not a trailer.....in some states. 

I will be towing my sawmill in three different states next month when I saw the "Goodwill" project.  The different state restrictions have definitely entered my mind.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on November 16, 2013, 09:59:44 PM
Some states encourage the use of triangles.  Others will ticket for their improper use.  Since the sawmill is not hauling anything, it technically is not a trailer.....in some states. 

I will be towing my sawmill in three different states next month when I saw the "Goodwill" project.  The different state restrictions have definitely entered my mind.

Give it the gas and don't look back.  move_it...... :)

Tom the Sawyer

Jswigga,

In Kansas, for example, any trailer (or trailer mounted equipment) with a GVWR greater than 2000 lbs. requires a license plate.  Kansas is not a 'timber' state and the lobbies for ag equipment left out sawmills.  In my county it is considered ag equipment, so property tax exempt, but still needs a license plate. 

When you pick up your mill, make sure you request the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origination.  It will have your serial number and you'll need it if you get license plates for your mill.  At least for my mill (a 2007 model) the original owner never requested it so I was able to obtain it for my mill and get it registered. 

The cut triangle that is often found mounted on ag equipment is a slow moving vehicle sign and is only supposed to be used on equipment that is incapable of attaining the minimum travel speeds on public roadways.  Generally speeds of 25 mph or less.  Driving at highway speeds with a slow moving vehicle sign displayed (or with your hazard flashers on for that matter) will probably attact 'unwelcome' attention.   :-[
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

AnthonyW

You are primarily bound by the state in which you are licensed. Especially if this is for personal use, instead of commercial use.

For example, a friend of mine was pulled over in VA for having a personal vehicle for being over length. In his home state there is no maximum length for personal (non-commercial) registered vehicles. When he arrived at the VA court to dispute it, he said the case lasted all of 5 minutes and the ticket was tossed.

Does New Jersey require a a license plate? NH requires anything and everything on the public road (vehicle, trailer, equipment) to be registered and display a license plate.

The worst Kansas can do is require you to get a temporary (20-day) plate. Once you're out of Kansas, anywhere in between will have to defer to NJ requirements.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My mill was delivered from Indy to N.C. to S.C. right off the show room floor. No problems.

KonaKustoms

Missouri does not require a mill to have a tag.  I pull mine alot and have had no issues.
Full time Portable Band-Milling & Logging.

Chuck White

New York doesn't require a portable sawmill to be plated!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

Still time lost and frustrating if the local police or DOT guy gives a citation that you have to hang around or come back to clear up with a judge. That can be real frustrating.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

KonaKustoms

Local State police may be able to give you a letter from your state saying it is not required & is considered Ag equipment for your trip home. Just a idea, may be worth a try.
Full time Portable Band-Milling & Logging.

justallan1

I think for piece of mind I would have the folks where you are picking it up from get a one trip moving permit from the motor vehicles dept. They cost a couple bucks and you are covered from start to final destination. I would make sure the length and weight of it is on your permit just because DOT are such nice people to deal with.
If it were me, I'd also wash it, check the lights and safety chains and make sure it has new reflective tape in all the right spots.
I figure it's easier to spend the time and money before hand just to show anyone you are doing everything you can, rather than discussing it along side the interstate.

Allan

Solomon

I cannot speak for other states and Commonwealths but in Virginia if it's over 2000 lbs empty weight or has brakes on one or more axles your are required to title and tag and have running lights, turn signals and brake lights.   And have a valid inspection sticker.
I have never been stopped.  I don't believe most law enforcement really know what is going on when they see me going down the road.     
My mill is 38 ft long, weighs 7500 lbs and has hydraulic surge brakes on both axles so I keep it above board and leagle.   A police officer is one thing, the DOT officials are whole different ball game here in Virginia.  They DO NOT PLAY.
In the long run, it's a lot less trouble and a LOT less expensive to have your ducks in a row and keep it all licensed, leagle and above board.   Just my two cents worth.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

JSwigga

Thank you all for the information.   I'll get in touch with timberking again.  I'm sure they know all the ins and out of towing a mill. 
60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

Jim H

In VA towed equipment (sawmill, chipper, ect.) doesn't have to be tagged. I've been pulling the mill for almost 20 years, the only time I ever got pulled over the deputy wanted to get some logs sawn. ;D
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

John S

Just started towing my mill with some regularity and put plates on it a few weeks ago.  I live in Sussex County, NJ.  Be prepared to pay NJ sales tax when you apply for the plates.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

diesel pap

my mill (ezboardwalk 40) was delivered with no plates all the way from mo. to wv. i was told that i dont need any.

manoverboard

Congratulations! My TK2000 was delivered to WV, August 1, 2013, with no plates. He drove I-70 all the way from MO. I checked about registration here in WV and was told "if it doesn't have a VIN or title then it is equipment, no plates". Good luck it is clear as mud out there... lol
TimberKing 2000, 35hp Diesel, Kubota L3800 w/loader

Thank You Sponsors!