iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swing saw mill project

Started by leroy in kansas, November 20, 2013, 12:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leroy in kansas

I'm currently beginning to collect materials and such for a swing saw. I'm wanting to go electric to keep the noise at a min. and to saw in the warehouse in the winter.

I need some education on blades speed, h/p for size/diameter and thickness of blade,  source for buying blades, and any other information that may be useful.

My current plan is to use the saw to saw out pieces 3 1/2" x 4 1/2" by what ever length. Mostly in the under 8' range. Many of the logs I have are 3-4' across and 6' long. My band mill will only take 32" on a good day, and  I'm not as practiced as custom sawyer at splitting logs.
Thanks much, Leroy in Kansas

Gasawyer

A 6" Lucas runs a 21" blade and will cut 6"x6" as for rpm I'm not sure. An 18hp gas engine does fine so you can cross that to electric HP..  Left Coast Supply has the Lucas blades and they are carbide tipped. The blades I run  take a ΒΌ" kerf.  Since you're building it. You can swing the motor and blade at the same time. Saves having a gearbox.  For the size logs your cutting the frame size for the 618 can be a guide. Hope this helps.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

leroy in kansas

Thank you much Gasawyer. That will give me a place to start from.

Thank You Sponsors!