iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

100,000 bdft club

Started by fishpimp, November 21, 2013, 08:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishpimp

Just curious how many hours - bdft u guys accumulated your 1st year sawing.
Business been good. Really good for an amateur like me.
Mill @ 500 hrs and estimated 80,000 ' and change. Sure some I days I suck and others have quite suprised myself!
Feb will b a year so still gots plenty of time for more. But I do lots of smallie feeshn in wintertime!

jmouton

we have been sawing  for about  a year an half or so  , and our business has been good for 2  part time sawyers ,  we both have full time jobs  ,  we really havent kept track  of hours or bd ft , i guess we should have but oh well  things are good ,

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

hunz

Well I'm not a guy in the 100,000bd/ft club....maybe 7,000 haha. I am looking to get into part time sawing(only for personal use now) and am wanting some advice. I'm in WNC, are you guys doing only portable sawing jobs? Stocking logs and milling orders for customers? Just looking to see how people are making it part time in this economy.
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I buy logs and get free logs. Some times I saw to trade for logs.
I custom saw customers logs and saw and sell lumber and slabs.
I also saw for myself and build rustic tables, stools, chairs, etc.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WoodenHead

I figure I cut about 20,000 bdft on an LT28 sawing part-time in the first year or so.  I cut about 50,000 board feet of lumber on my LT40 that I've owned since March of this year.  I sell lumber as well as S4S, V-joint, T&G, flooring, cove siding and so on.  Fortunately and unfortunately I'm by myself.  Recently I've gone back to office work, but the customers keep coming for wood.  Some have decided that it might be time to get some board and batten up, since there is snow in the forecast.   :D

Chuck White

I got my own mill in May, 2008 and started sawing with it on the 11th or 12th and put the mill away for the Winter in the middle of November.

In that period of time I sawed a little over 71,000 board feet, sawing logs mobile for others!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

hunz

Very impressive guys, the more I hear the more I would like to delve into it part time. I am currently set up to make flooring and v panel for myself, but "hey" it can't hurt to be diversified starting out!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Magicman

I sawed ~45Mbf the first year and that was with no experience or market.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

I was close to what MM mentioned on his first year, desk top from back then was hit by lighting, lost all my records, the third year was the boom time for me, sawing long stock is helpful for big tally's as well as beams.
Stay steady and it will add up.     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

red oaks lumber

my first mill was new. after 3 yrs sawing i had to replace the gas engine, it had over 3600 hrs. on it. put a new engine on and sold the mill alittle over 1 1/2 yrs later with another 1600 or so hrs. i estimated the footage sawn around 750,000 bf.
my sawing needs where so great i hired a circle mill to come in and saw for me, we did that for close to 3 yrs.that footage was close to 2 1/2 million b.f. production slowed some and the logs got smaller so the need for a bandmill was real obvious.
i hired a sawyer that had just resently bought a lt40 less than 1 1/2  yrs he joined the million foot club.
milling can pay off but, having supporting equipment opens more doors.( kiln, planers or moulders, gang rips. other value adding equipment.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Brucer

I sawed 34,000 BF in my first full year of sawing. That was with an LT40 manual. I only did about 6000 BF in the first 6 months. Then I teamed up with a timber framer.

My first full year with the timber framer I sawed 84,000 PF and put on about 500 hours. Same thing the second year. I could have cut more if he'd been able to get the logs.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!