iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need chain grinder advice

Started by WV_hillbilly, May 31, 2004, 09:14:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV_hillbilly

I am wanting to buy a chain grinder for my .325 and 3/8 " chains . I  don't need some thing like a Silvey cause I probably wouldn't sharpen more than 75 to 100 chains a year for myself . The guy I used to take them to is getting harder and harder to get them back in a timely manner  so I need to start doing them myself .

I was looking at a Oregon 511a and  Folley Belsaw 399 . What are the pros and cons of these models .  Is anyone currently or previously using one of these .

Hillbilly
Hillbilly

Stan

I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Kevin

I have the 511A and I'm happy with it.
A search will bring up more grinder info previously discussed.

WV_hillbilly

Stan that woud be one that I was wondering about. The Oregon was in CCD 's  catolog .  
Hillbilly

Mark M

I used one along time ago and it would grind the rakers and worked really well. Apparently not all of the grinders do this nowadays. Does anyone know which of the better quality grinders can be used to set the rakers?

Thanks

jokers

Hi Mark,

Any grinder with a wide enough stone can do rakers but the question is, how accurately? There`s enough flex in the typical grinder head pivot to easily vary by several thousandths from raker to raker if your hand pressure isn`t extremely even, and if the grinder only grinds in one direction like most of the latest models, the depth gauges will vary from side to side.

Since the depth gauges only need attention every third or fourth sharpening, I prefer to manual lower them with a file and a good raker gauge like the File-O-Plate or the similar tool fro Husky.

Hillbilly,

I think that there are currently somewhat better grinders than the 511A available but on the other hand, the 511A is probably the most popular grinder out there, by a wide margin. Just accept that you will have to learn how to use the grinder, it`s not quite as simple as slapping a chain in the vise and pulling the head down, but it is simple enough for anyone who is interested to learn.

Russ

WV_hillbilly

Jokers

I am leanin real hard towards the 511a . Being a mechanically able person I don't think it  shopuld be that hard to learn  . I'll start out with my stump cuttin chains  cause they're  about wore out any ways . ;D
Hillbilly

Ol_Hickory

I bought a MAXX chain grinder a couple of months ago and am very pleased with it.  I bought it for the same reason you have.  I wasn't getting good local service.  Also, I live 20 miles from town, and it's easier to go to the barn than to town.

WV_hillbilly

Ol Hickory    

I' ve never heard of that one . Where did you get it at ?  Do they have a website .
Hillbilly

Mark M

Here is a link: http://www.snssawshop.com/

I think he sells them on eBay.

How are they built OH - pretty solid?

WV_hillbilly

Thanks for the link Mark . I 'm goin to call and find out the price .
Hillbilly

Duane_Moore

WV-hillbilly     I have ran the 511a for a number of years, and get along with it well, and it will grind the rakers, the stones come with it. after you learn the machine it is fine.  Duh---Duane
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

iain

i got  a woodmizer sharpener for my bands its a 1989 model with instructions for chain sharpening any one ever used it for this? i seam to be doing a lot of fileing at the moment :(

Thank You Sponsors!