iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bracing for some nasty weather

Started by Saki, January 04, 2014, 11:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chevytaHOE5674

We never even put the A/C in the window last summer here along the lake.... hahaha

Hilltop366

Quote from: Raider Bill on January 06, 2014, 10:46:54 AM
I'm putting on long pants, socks and turning off the a/c for a couple days. 8)

I'll be in Florida next week (bringing my 8 year old to get fully Disneytized) I'll be sure to bring my long pants!

Raider Bill

58 here now. Opening up the emergency shelters for tonight.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Hilltop366

Quote from: Raider Bill on January 06, 2014, 02:50:32 PM

Tee shirt weather!

chet

Quote from: Raider Bill on January 06, 2014, 02:50:32 PM

Bikini weather around here!  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

beenthere

QuoteBikini weather around here!

No pics, .... didn't happen.  ::)

But we'll take your word for it..  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chet

I'd post some pics, but then I'd hafta delete um and send myself a note.  :D  :D  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: beenthere on January 06, 2014, 03:50:56 PM
QuoteBikini weather around here!

No pics, .... didn't happen.  ::)

But we'll take your word for it..  ;D

Just in case he shows pic.  smiley_paparazzi
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Raider Bill

Dark, gray, dismal and windy outside. 54

Yesterday it was post card perfect sunny 78 I was riding across Tampa Bay in a T-shirt [my forestry forum pig roast 2013 t-[I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better] in fact!] 8)

You Yankees need to keep this crap up there. ;)

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Saki

It made it down to -11 with 20 to 30 MPH winds, maybe more. Anytime the wind blows hard enough to make this old 1880s farmhouse pop, I get concerned. Was halfway down the basement stairs before it occurred to me there is no such things as a snownado. Had them crutches spinning around like spokes on a wheel.

Talking same conditions tonight except low is supposed to be -20. Corn and soybean fields around here look like a lunar landscape. Been literally 20 years since anything compatible around here.

Hope everybody stays safe and warm. Saki

coxy

Quote from: Chet on January 06, 2014, 12:55:47 AM
Quote from: sawguy21 on January 05, 2014, 11:49:50 PM
Chet, how do you fight fires when it's that cold? The water would be froze before it reached the nozzle.

You do that by keeping all pumps running and water always flowing, or if you haven't charged lines yet you recirculate water within the trucks. Toughest part, is not freezing an empty tanker as it runs for water. Our biggest problem has always been frozen regulators on our air packs. That and trying to get back in your vehicle to go home when your bunkers are frozen solid and you can't bend.  :D
bunkers and coat frozen its like the walking dead we use to push the new bes in the snow banks when we where all dun picking up

chet

It was bound to happen.  :-\  We were paged out at 3:15 AM  on a structure. At least it was warmer than last night, -54°F windchill at the time of the call.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Chet on January 07, 2014, 10:27:16 AM
It was bound to happen.  :-\  We were paged out at 3:15 AM  on a structure. At least it was warmer than last night, -54°F windchill at the time of the call.

That's cold Chet.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Fight a fire at those temps.  :o  I feel sorry for you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

The record low temp in Michigan is 51 below set at the Pigeon River Country State Forest Headquarters east of Vanderbilt Feb 9th 1934.  But according to legend on that same morning it was 52 below on the Sturgeon River in Wolverine.  That same morning the stick built wooden high school building caught on fire.  The fire dept. is just down the hill a block to the north but none of the fire trucks would start on this cold morning so hoses were laid from the fire dept. building to the school.  The water froze in the hoses before it ever reached the school and the school burnt to the ground.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

coxy

chet hope every one was ok including the fire men and or women that had to be a tough one some people don't under stand the elements that we go through as firemen or women  are you paid or volunteer

Roger2561

For about 20 years I was a volunteer EMT on our local EMS crew.  Due to claustrophobia I was never able to put the SCBA's on therefore I could never be a firefighter.  I have so much respect for firefighters.  I don't know how you guys/gals can do that especially in the cold temps you've been experiencing for the  past few days.  I pray each day for the safety of all volunteers whether they be EMT or firefighter.  Roger
Roger

chet

Quote from: coxy on January 07, 2014, 05:40:31 PM
chet hope every one was ok including the fire men and or women that had to be a tough one some people don't under stand the elements that we go through as firemen or women  are you paid or volunteer

When we arrived the newer addition on the home was fully engulfed. Using positive pressure on the old part of the home, we were able to save it. We were even able to keep it mostly smoke free, and totally free of damage. The addition was a total lose. Everyone was fine, including the occupants. They were actually able to return to the original part of the home and spend the night.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brucer

On Monday night, the average temperature for the entire continental US was -10°C, or 14°F.

Monday night it was -11°C in Rossland, BC (which is unusually warm for us this time of year).

Just saying ;).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!