iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bracing for some nasty weather

Started by Saki, January 04, 2014, 11:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saki

Much of the Midwest is bracing for some nasty weather... Next 4 days will include such treats as a foot of snow and 2 to 3 days where temps will not get much above zero if that.

Hoping to pass the time with lots of chili...  Catch up on computer work if we keep power... Maybe some card games...... who knows.

How is everybody else gonna pass their forced time indoors?

Cedarman

Might as well ruin Mon and Tue and work on taxes.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Peter Drouin

I have a worm shop to do some things. In fact I have to make some signs for lumber size.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

Quote from: Saki on January 04, 2014, 11:04:57 AM
Much of the Midwest is bracing for some nasty weather... Next 4 days will include such treats as a foot of snow and 2 to 3 days where temps will not get much above zero if that.

Hoping to pass the time with lots of chili...  Catch up on computer work if we keep power... Maybe some card games...... who knows.

How is everybody else gonna pass their forced time indoors?

That's what we've been having here until today.

We now have 28°F.  NICE!  8)

But we know the temps above ZERO won't last long!  :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Hilltop366

Just went through a few days of 5°f and a foot of snow, spent my time putting wood in the boiler and plowing snow.  21°f today feels almost warm now, it is suppose to get up to 46°f on Monday.

coxy

Quote from: Hilltop366 on January 04, 2014, 12:31:38 PM
Just went through a few days of 5°f and a foot of snow, spent my time putting wood in the boiler and plowing snow.  21°f today feels almost warm now, it is suppose to get up to 46°f on Monday.
prob do the same thing put wood in the stove and then put more wood in the stove soon going to have to get more     down to my last 12 full cords  we burn around 25-30 cords year round heating 2 homes (my dads house is 80 degrease all the time )says he is trying to thaw out from the last 50 years of being froze  :D :D

thecfarm

coxy,it's pay back down now. He kept you warm for years,now it's your turn.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Hilltop366

Quote from: coxy on January 04, 2014, 08:08:24 PM
Quote from: Hilltop366 on January 04, 2014, 12:31:38 PM
prob do the same thing put wood in the stove and then put more wood in the stove soon going to have to get more     down to my last 12 full cords  we burn around 25-30 cords year round heating 2 homes (my dads house is 80 degrease all the time )says he is trying to thaw out from the last 50 years of being froze  :D :D

If I had 12 chords I would guess I would have two or three years supply, I don't really keep track but if I had to guess I would say that I burn about 5 chords a year of soft wood ( that is what I can get behind my house free for the taking) It would be nice to have some dry hard wood for those colder nights.

chevytaHOE5674

Forced indoor time.....  Whats that?

Temps have been below zero here for almost a month, and a foot of snow isn't much. I work outside almost everyday, cutting firewood, feeding animals, plowing snow, fixing equipment, cruising timber, marking timber, etc etc.

Wind chills are supposed to be as cold as -60° for the next 2 or 3 days so I will take a break from things that don't need to be done. But I'll still spend much of my day outside getting chores done around the farm.

coxy

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on January 04, 2014, 08:50:02 PM

Wind chills are supposed to be as cold as -60° for the next 2 or 3 days
ok you guys have to put up some kind of a stop     we don't need that cold crap out here    or you can cut a little more wood to warm up the atmosphere so I don't get to cold  :D                                                                                                                                                thecfarm    I only have 2 years to go then       I was 7 when I started splitting wood to keep the house warm     and I have been doing it for 5 years already so I wonder who is going to split wood for me now     girls this day and age cant get away from the phon :D long enough to do any thing  ;D

thecfarm

I was watching the news tonight and some of you guys I feel sorry for. That is some cold weather coming. Hope it don't stay long.

I just started a thread about sliding. Growing up we would slide down and walk back,¼ mile one way. Now I can't get the grand kids to slide and walk back 50 feet more than 3-4 times before they are all tired out. What are they going to do when they are 50?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

QuoteWhat are they going to do when they are 50?

They gonna watch you slide..   8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MikeZ

We are now under a blizzard warning until tommorrow a.m. Most counties around here have shut down. Temp of -10 and 30-40 mph winds tonight and tommorrow. Prob have 12" snow now. I've got 4' drifts where I go to wood shop. Guess I'll join those doing tax prep ^%(&^$%#$$. I aam ready for spring!
MikeZ  Homemade  Mill

red oaks lumber

just looked temp is minus 20 f. with windchill its minus 51 f. just on the out skirts of hell.   :(forcast low for here is minus 41 deg f with minus 70 windchill.
by morning.. friends we will be in downtown hell ;) i'm with chevy, spend the vast majority of the day feeding and doing nessasary chores. if all goes good i can be done in 5 hours but, this weather ?who knows.
good thing my temp gauge is digital, cause the mercury would be curled up in a ball at the bottom whimpering how cold it is :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

beenthere

red oaks
NOAA is saying -31 for low tonight for Spooner.

Where does the -41 come from?

Still mighty cold for WI.  But mild for AK and Canada.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chet

I'm just praying we don't get called out on any fire calls for the next couple of days.  smiley_fireman_hat
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

pigman

Chet, you do know, the colder the weather the more fires. :(
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Magicman

It is unbelievable how quickly the temps are dropping.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

Chet, how do you fight fires when it's that cold? The water would be froze before it reached the nozzle.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Brucer

If you hear a loud boom late at night, and feel the ground shake a little, don't panic. It's probably just a frost quake.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

chet

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 05, 2014, 11:49:50 PM
Chet, how do you fight fires when it's that cold? The water would be froze before it reached the nozzle.

You do that by keeping all pumps running and water always flowing, or if you haven't charged lines yet you recirculate water within the trucks. Toughest part, is not freezing an empty tanker as it runs for water. Our biggest problem has always been frozen regulators on our air packs. That and trying to get back in your vehicle to go home when your bunkers are frozen solid and you can't bend.  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

red oaks lumber

beenthere
heard that on the local radio station.
thankfully we only hit minus 32

Raider Bill

I'm putting on long pants, socks and turning off the a/c for a couple days. 8)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

chet

Quote from: Raider Bill on January 06, 2014, 10:46:54 AM
I'm putting on long pants, socks and turning off the a/c for a couple days. 8)

I did dat 5 months ago.    :-\

red oaks lumber

Thank You Sponsors!