iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ford wiper problem

Started by Wes, June 06, 2004, 06:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wes

I have a 87 F350 mason dump and the wipers havent worked properly since I bought it last year. The wipers only worked on high and after a fiew cycles they would stop unless you constantly switched them on and off.

Last week I changed the wiper motor twice and replaced the switch, now the only improvement is that it works on high without stopping. I still have no slow speed, delay, or washer.

Does anyone know what else could be wrong besides possibly a bad wire ?  Im getting tired of of working on this when I should be out sawing. :(

Thanks
 Wes

rebocardo

On a 1987 I believe you have a "brain" that is basically a black box behind the dash called a "governor". I think the only way you can see and replace it is by removing the dash panel for the speedometer. It should have some red wires going into it. Of course, it will be connected to the wiper switch too.

If you have a two prong wiper relay in the fuse box I would leave that alone since it is probably good. If you have a box ISO Bosch type relay I would replace it. Either way, the relays are only $3. Reason for replacing the relay is because if they are defective they could possibly damage a new governor or not switch between the 87a / 87 poles.

Most likely the OEM wiper motor was good as are the replacements and the governor is bad. Myself, I would hit the junkyard and grab a bunch for $5 each. New ones cost $50+.

It should be the same box for mid 80s to mid 90s. If you need more info check www.ford-trucks.com in the correct forum. If you do a word search you can probably pop up the information without even asking a question, fwiw.

Tillaway

I have had the exact same problem, you need to replace the wiper delay switch.  Well... I'm not too sure I remember exactly what it called but it is located in the dash behind the headlight and wiper switches.  Its a silver box looking thing that plugs into the wiper switch wiring.  It is dealer only and cost $70 bucks.  By the way my replacement said "Made In Brazil".
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Thank You Sponsors!