iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hand power planer purchase

Started by yukon cornelius, February 08, 2014, 10:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

im fixin to get a power planer. im looking in the $150 range. im leaning towards the bosch 6.5 amp 2 blade model 1594. it had great reviews online. I think my next choice would be the dewalt 5.5 amp. any ideas or other options?
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

21incher

I have a Bosch #3365 that I bought about 10 years ago that has seen a lot of use and I have had no problems with it. I originally bought it to level the face of a 4 ft high x 35 ft long wall of pt landscape timbers that had dried uneven and it ran for hours without a problem. The blades are also very easy to change.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

ScottAR

I have the Bosch.  I use it quite a bit for finish carpentry.  The directional exhaust sold it for me.   These things make a lot of chips quickly and it's nice to point them somewhere besides all over you.  The chip bag is handy in the right place but fills up in a pass or two. 

My primary job for it is fitting doors in existing holes and scribing trim to fit irregular walls. 

Couple tips:
These things remove material way faster than say a belt sander.  Take more smaller bites as it's easy to take off too much. 

The height adjustment is on the front handle and has a lot of thicknesses listed.  I pretty much only use 1/32", 1/16" as I can count passes and keep up with how much I removed.   
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Lud

Buy a cheapie at H.F.  30$ got me one to test and it's lasted probably 6-8 years............
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

m wood

I've got the Dewalt.  Been good to me for years.  Picked it up at an estate auction and I've worked it hard (log peeling) for many years now.  But it's your call.  They're DanG handy for multiple jobs.  I'd like a convex base planer next!
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

yukon cornelius

I located a bosch 1594 at lowes somewhat nearby. nothing is really near us. im going today and put hands on it and check it out. I have read a lot of reviews and they have all been positive. it rated #3 on some planer website I found behind 2 different Makita models. neither are in the same price range or available anywhere around us. i hope to be strippin logs tomorrow. i gotta make some money!

LittleJohn

I personally have the dewalt, very true about the amount of chips that thing make - and I always seem to be in the path of them.  I mainly use the planer when making outdoor wood furniture; get close with draw shave then finish with planer to get truely flat.

Like all power tools, cords are never long enough  :-\

VT_Forestry

I bought the Bosch 1594 several years ago and love it.  Whenever I'm looking at tools, I go Bosch first Dewalt a close second - in this case I suppose you can't really go wrong with either one  :D
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

MattJ

I have the mid-range Ryobi since I use it only from time to time.  Works well, easy to change and cheap blades that are carbide.  Directional exhaust and the kick-start feature that helps avoid gouging when starting.  Not too bad overall.

yukon cornelius

I ended up with the bosch and it is great! 8) it has really saved a lot of time peeling logs! im glad I got it!

LittleJohn

If you happen to run into large/hard knots I have found it best to cut off with a Sawzall or equivalent and then peel by hand or with planer.  Just kinda hard to knock off stubby branches and knots if they are not somewhat close to the log to start with

Thank You Sponsors!