iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snow Blowers

Started by gspren, February 15, 2014, 09:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

I have 2 snow blowers, 28" Simplicity walk behind and a 46" mounted on a JD 318 garden tractor, and this winter I spent lots of time with both (1,000' of driveway plus paths between the various buildings). The Simplicity is a 2 stage and works great in anything but the hard stuff rolled up by a plow. The one on the garden tractor is a single stage and the wet snows we got this week kicked it's butt. All that time causes thinking about what would be better for the riding part but I don't want too much bigger and I like the garden tractor size so what do you have and how well does it work? I don't have any pavement, all gravel.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

thecfarm

Got tractor,hp? Let's start there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Holmes

I have a Kubota lawn tractor 18 hp with a 2 stage blower on it . It work greats. I have to remove the snow , about 6000 sq ft and put it over a stone wall and beside the house and shop. Been running it for 12 years and just did a 2nd new belt and pulley last week.   At the farm house I prefer to use a Kubota b3030 with cab  with a 4' Lorenz  2 stage blower. I really like the cab for snowblowing
Think like a farmer.

chevytaHOE5674

JD still sells a 47" 2 stage blower that can be put on your JD 318 tractor. It requires the front quick hitch and an adapter kit, all of which is available new but I do see the blower and quick hitch for sale used quite often.

Roger2561

Look at my avatar - That's an Erskine 721 run off the rear PTO.  It's 6 feet wide but requires a minimum of a 40HP tractor.  It will take a rock approx 5 inch in diameter and toss it 30 feet away (scared the heck of me).  There is no snow bank large enough to stop it no matter how much moisture is in it.  But, it's not cheap.  I got that one for around $4,000.00 used (the previous owner used it for one winter.  He died shortly after the winter ended and his widow wanted to unload it), but they cost in the ball park of $9,000.00 new.  I clear my 200+ ft long drive way in about 10 minutes.  Roger
Roger

goose63

I have 60 inch Farm king pto on my 30 h p tractor I call it storm king that thing can move snow wish I had a cab with heat
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

gspren

My FEL 2355 JD is 55 HP and 4WD but I don't want that big of a blower. Finding a 2 stage for the 318 is a possibility but I might consider replacing the 318 with a sub-compact diesel with a 60" mower and a 48" blower. I like the maneuverability of the garden tractor size. Something like a Kubota BX 2670 might replace my 318JD and my older Farmall 140 that only mows. Maybe all this time blowing snow gives me too much thinking time.

thecfarm

I like a pto snow blower. This is on a back of a BX1800,18hp. My wife took that picture. I had no idea she did. Must of been a real light snow. That would throw the snow,but looks kinda extreme. I looked at a front mount blower. I told the saleman that looks like a blower in front of walmart.The steel was real thin. I have a dirt driveway and live on a dirt road. That blower in on a 30hp NH now. My pto does a real nice job. We had about 6 inches of wet snow and I do mean wet. It still threw it 20 feet,but someone walking could of kept up to me. I plowed for one year here and did not like it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Roger2561

If you can afford it get it with a heated cab.  it is so nice not having snow fly in your face while clearing the snow out of the way.  Roger
Roger

thecfarm

Heated cabs are nice,but money.... I do have a roof on the tractor. On the Kubota I took a piece of plexi glass and fastened to the ROPS with ¼ self tapping screws. That stops alot of snow,but you can't beat a cab.

gspren

Quote from: Roger2561 on February 16, 2014, 01:52:17 PM
If you can afford it get it with a heated cab.  it is so nice not having snow fly in your face while clearing the snow out of the way.  Roger

Keep in mind that I don't want to go much bigger than a garden tractor, I have a cab on my 2355JD but it's too big to maneuver on the paths around the house, barn, woodshed, etc. I'm looking at cutting back on the places I now use the walk behind, plus the tractor would be used for mowing also.

Randy88

A six foot two stage pto on the back of a 75 hp tractor and a seven foot two stage on the back of a 150 hp tractor, two skid steers and after 30 years, I enjoy the spring and warm weather better every year and watch the snow melt instead of moving or blowing it.    About the only piece of equipment I own, I love the most on years I don't have to use them to move snow, and let them sit idle on the back of tractors, or in the shed not hooked up at all ;D

thecfarm

That BX I had is not much bigger than a garden tractor. Diesel motor,only had a 18 hp motor.Some with the same size tractor comes in 20 and 22 and maybe 24 hp? Rear and mid PTO and 4 wheel drive comes in handy. But the money is ALOT more too.

Escavader

Kubota bx 23 with 54 inch pronovost pto blower with hydraulic chute control and of course my homemade heated cab ;D let her snow nothing stops it
Alan Bickford
Hammond lumber company/Yates American A20 planer with dbl profilers Newman feed table multiple saw trimmer destacker automatic stacking machine Baker resaw MS log corner machine  4 large capacity Nyles dehumidification kilns JCB 8000 lb forklifts woodmizer lt 15 and mp100 and blower

thecfarm

Escavader,That's the same blower I have in the picture. I have it behind a 30hp NH now. It's a little narrow for it. Someday I might build some wings for the side. I don't have the hyd chute control as you do. Or the homemade heated cab. Nice!! I drilled out the sheer bolts holes. I think they was 11mm?? and I use ¼ inch bolts. Those ¼ are just a hair bigger. I live on a dirt road and down by the mail box for the first few storms can give me trouble. Than I have my driveway lined with red oak and a limb will fall into the drive way. Or I think I can get just a little bit closer to the wood pile.  ::)

chet

I've got da 47" 2 stage on my 318. Wet or heavy snow is no problem. This model also fits da 420 and 430 model Deere tractors.  Watch Craigs list for a used one, I see them listed quite often.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

gspren

I appreciate all the advice and possibilities, yesterday I had to go to the JD dealer to get an idler pulley and belt. On Saturday when the idler locked up and burnt the belt I had to finish with the Simplicity and all that walking on my arthritic ankle is what started me thinking. Back to the JD dealer, a sub-compact with a 60" mower and a 54' blower is about $17,000  :o I can afford it but not sure I want to, I'll stop at the Kubota dealer in the next few weeks. I enjoy looking and thinking so keep suggestions coming.

beenthere

Deere made some good models with their 425, 445(fuel injection), and 455 (diesel). They run the blowers and their throwers with PTO drive and there are no belts.
These models have kept their value because they are pretty rock solid.  Just a thought. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Escavader

Quote from: thecfarm on February 17, 2014, 06:39:47 PM
Escavader,That's the same blower I have in the picture. I have it behind a 30hp NH now. It's a little narrow for it. Someday I might build some wings for the side. I don't have the hyd chute control as you do. Or the homemade heated cab. Nice!! I drilled out the sheer bolts holes. I think they was 11mm?? and I use ¼ inch bolts. Those ¼ are just a hair bigger. I live on a dirt road and down by the mail box for the first few storms can give me trouble. Than I have my driveway lined with red oak and a limb will fall into the drive way. Or I think I can get just a little bit closer to the wood pile.  ::)what are you waiting for comeon over look at my cab and we'll figure out how to put one on yours  you got a blower ya gotta have a cab
Alan Bickford
Hammond lumber company/Yates American A20 planer with dbl profilers Newman feed table multiple saw trimmer destacker automatic stacking machine Baker resaw MS log corner machine  4 large capacity Nyles dehumidification kilns JCB 8000 lb forklifts woodmizer lt 15 and mp100 and blower

Escavader

C farm  shorten your top link all the way up first couple storms ,you'll get a good frozen base ,the rocks will get covered then you can change it to clean it all up after u get a froze base I've broke just one pin in 3 winters now that I've been doin this
Alan Bickford

thecfarm

That's what I do. Than when I get the frozen base I tip it back down.When I said I live on a dirt road and down by the mail box gives me a hard time,I meant the town snowplow will plow the rocks into the end of the driveway for the first 2-3 storms. I don't have much trouble in the driveway with the rocks. Now I am trying to shovel around the wood pile first,than snowblow. I usally replace one bolt at just about every storm.I just get too greedy at times.One of my bosses at work asked me about his snowblower.He had a tar driveway and was complaining aboit it leaving an inch of snow. I told him about the top link and he felt kinda dumb after I told him what to do and why.Something so simple sometimes.

gspren

Quote from: beenthere on February 18, 2014, 07:39:52 PM
Deere made some good models with their 425, 445(fuel injection), and 455 (diesel). They run the blowers and their throwers with PTO drive and there are no belts.
These models have kept their value because they are pretty rock solid.  Just a thought.

I will certainly look at used before I buy but need to look at new first to get price/value ideas. I have 4 JDs, a 2000 345 garden tractor, 1986 318 garden tractor, 1988 2355 4x4 FEL tractor, and a 1956 620 2cyl. only the 345 was bought new.

gspren

For an update I bought the Kubota BX2670 with a 60" deck and a 50" blower, sold the 318JD, the Farmall H and got the Farmall 140 for sale, downsizing equipment list.

Holmes

You should be pleased with the new equipment  8)
Think like a farmer.

Chuck White

We just bought a 2014 JD-1023 with a FEL and drive-over mower deck.

I was doing a little checking and they do have a front mount snowblower to fit, but with the FEL, we'll wait until it's paid down considerable.  ;)

That FEL will do just fine moving snow next winter!  :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!