iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log/firewood prices..Way back when

Started by timberlinetree, March 15, 2014, 05:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberlinetree

Just wondering what log/fire wood prices were when you started. Think about 15 or so years ago we sold cut/split and delivered cord wood for 100 a cord and 110 a cord was a big jump. Pallet was around 100 per thousand from what I rember. ???
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

saltydog

When i started i got $35 a rick 4x8x16" delivered.$35 a cord roadside for pulpwood didnt matter what hardwood ,spruce,aspen all payed about the same.Cant remember log prices.
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

DaveP

In the 1950s I got $18.00 a face cord delivered

Firewoodjoe

2000 or so I was getting $30-$35 a face cord and paying $32.50 for pulp. Couldn't tell you why he came up with a price with .50 in it!

Alexanderthelate

Used to be $60/ cord here around ten or fifteen years ago. $150 now.

howitzer

Cut firewood and split with go devil and delivered for $15 a face cord 1980 and thought we were making a killin!

woodmills1

1986 my first year
bought firwood logs at 25 bucks a cord
sold cut split dry delivered at $110
1995 last year old style firewood, no processor
cost $50  sold dry delivered $160
made almost as much on firewood as my teacher contract paid
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Billbob

Back in '83 I was buying 8' hardwood delivered for $35 a cord.  All maple.  Now I buy 8' hardwood from my neighbour for $75 a cord.  I have to pick it up in the old mill yard 1/4 mile up the road.  No problem.  I have a tractor with FEL and a pulp wagon.  If I were to buy from the processors, it would be $250 a cord split and delivered.
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Stephen Alford

This  is the Restigouche River were I grew up. In the spring after the ice ran the wood would be shoved into the river. It would make its way to the holding ponds above the mill . Booms were hung off the islands to guide the flow of wood.  Wood would sink in the holding areas.  Two 40' booms would be lashed together and 2 guys would push them out into the river at low tide. Then work your way to shore at high tide. The wood was retrieved off the bottom with the use of pick poles. The two guys would pull the wood up on the boom starting to load in the middle working towards the end of the boom.  The wood a tad slimey and wet could be piled above high tide on shore for 6$ a cord.  If you could get it up in the field you got 8$ a cord. Delivered to the mill loaded by hand on an ol flat bed truck got 12$ a cord including off loading.  "Got scaled" ....  "Ahh ... Deadheadin.... Good Times"   :D
logon

Billbob

Quote from: Stephen Alford on March 17, 2014, 07:41:50 AM

This  is the Restigouche River were I grew up. In the spring after the ice ran the wood would be shoved into the river. It would make its way to the holding ponds above the mill . Booms were hung off the islands to guide the flow of wood.  Wood would sink in the holding areas.  Two 40' booms would be lashed together and 2 guys would push them out into the river at low tide. Then work your way to shore at high tide. The wood was retrieved off the bottom with the use of pick poles. The two guys would pull the wood up on the boom starting to load in the middle working towards the end of the boom.  The wood a tad slimey and wet could be piled above high tide on shore for 6$ a cord.  If you could get it up in the field you got 8$ a cord. Delivered to the mill loaded by hand on an ol flat bed truck got 12$ a cord including off loading.  "Got scaled" ....  "Ahh ... Deadheadin.... Good Times"   :D

When you think about it we have it pretty good now.  Those were a hard days work for the loggers on the Restigouche, Miramichi and Caines.  Dangerous too!  It's beautiful country up that way.
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

MJD

In 1859 in the town I live in stove length wood sold to the school for $.84 a cord and they got 30 at a time, by 1867 the price went up to $2.25 a cord. In1848 school was 2 days a week and would cost 37 1/2 cents or a 1/2 cord of stove wood per scholar. There was only 5 kids in school that year. :laugh:

Billbob

Quote from: MJD on March 17, 2014, 12:54:15 PM
In 1859 in the town I live in stove length wood sold to the school for $.84 a cord and they got 30 at a time, by 1867 the price went up to $2.25 a cord. In1848 school was 2 days a week and would cost 37 1/2 cents or a 1/2 cord of stove wood per scholar. There was only 5 kids in school that year. :laugh:

And the kids were responsible for keeping the stove fed in the school house!

Bricklayer51

2005 standing dead red oak 5.00 a face cord stumpage to landowner. Sold for 50.00 cut, split and delivered

Thank You Sponsors!