iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

River Wood...any good?

Started by ReggieT, March 16, 2014, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

The wife and I went fishing off some rock bluffs below Wheeler Dam this evening. Fish weren't biting, so I started looking at all the dead downed tree's & logs...tons of BLACK LOCUST galore! This old tree was as hard as concrete and about as heavy too! Any idea from the pics or you guys knowledge of firewood what kind of tree can survive the ravage of years, water, and elements and still be this solid & not decayed? :)
Is this decent firewood? ???

OntarioAl

ReggieT
Black Locust is tough stuff.
As to using beached wood they tend to pick up grit that dulls saws very quickly.
Al
Al Raman

r.man

In my area there are very specific laws about removing trees in water. In water is described as being submerged for a length of time in the year and has been there longer than 3 months I think. Heard of a fellow who got a fairly substantial fine for clearing a river area without the proper permit. They will allow it sometimes here but you need to go through the proper paperwork.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

jargo432

I'd check with someone before I cut it up, but I'm betting in Alabama nobody cares.
Jack of all trades.

Al_Smith

I have no idea how they do it any place else .In these parts they'd be tickled pink to get the logs out of the river .

I suppose they'd burn after they dried out .

ReggieT

Quote from: jargo432 on March 16, 2014, 06:08:25 PM
I'd check with someone before I cut it up, but I'm betting in Alabama nobody cares.
Hmm...why would you bet that? ???

SwampDonkey

My bet is the wood is full of tension from the way is grew upswung. Probably grew out over the river and finally the roots got weathered out,  too top heavy, or storm damaged, and in she went. Maybe it's bo'darc and you have some bow wood just waiting to be uncovered. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ReggieT

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 17, 2014, 04:49:05 AM
My bet is the wood is full of tension from the way is grew upswung. Probably grew out over the river and finally the roots got weathered out,  too top heavy, or storm damaged, and in she went. Maybe it's bo'darc and you have some bow wood just waiting to be uncovered. ;D
I like your thinking SwampDonkey! 8)

jargo432

Hmm...why would you bet that? ???
[/quote]

Just saying here in America on public rivers nobody really says anything about what you do there.  Don't get me wrong, I'd still call local the local river authority just to cover my butt, but I'm betting they wouldn't care.  Here in Texas I live near the Brazos river.  I'd call the BRA(Brazos River Authority).  Find out who is in charge of the river and give them a call.
Jack of all trades.

stumper

Considering its relative value as firewood minus the work to get it verses the value to the wildlife, invertabrates and fish, I would suggest leavinging it in place.

DDDfarmer

I work at a hydro site and the trees that touch the dam become our problem and have to be removed and disposed of ( some goes into my furnace ;D).  Not uncommon to get spruce or cedar trees 24" at the butt.  Any firewood that I cut up from the river is cut with the company's saw due to the grit that is there even if the tree is green and freshly fallen.  I can maybe cut 5-6 blocks before the chain needs another sharpening.  The wood is also so water logged that I will leave the blocks for as long as I can on the ground to dry out.   I had a 18-20" spruce last summer cut into 24" blocks that I could not lift to the tailgate, left that for a week to dry down some. 

Few years back pulled out a 30" cedar cut two 16' sticks and loaded with the farm tractor onto a hay wagon.  The tractor I know could lift over a ton easily, and I had to load the log one end at a time.  Water dripped from those logs for weeks after.

I would first check to see if a firewood permit would cover drift-wood.  It might not be worth getting your fingers slapped over a log.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

thecfarm

Just don't get caught and hope nobody calls and rats on yea. State of Maine is mighty fussy with thier water. But there is no Water Police roaming around looking for someone doing something wrong. Now if the Water Police gets a phone call......... :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Along the St John here in my area where there is head ponds the government owns a lot of the land along the banks as set backs. Some places no, but pays to find out. And some folks have permits to use the land for a wharf or landing. A permit is not ownership of the land. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Rockn H

I don't know about Alabama, but in Arkansas it depends a lot on if the river is has been dammed or dredged.  I wouldn't use any river logs for firewood... I'd saw them into lumber. 
Here on the Saline River in Arkansas you're not allowed to take logs out of the river unless you don't get caught. ::)  The Saline river has been classified as a "Natural Scenic" river.  There's still a few people that occasionally drag a few cypress logs out of log piles and float them out.   Nothing is ever said.  I've seen Game and Fish watch people load the logs on their trailer at the boat ramp, but Do Not set up a barge with a crane and start salvaging logs... Environmentalists will shut you down and Game and Fish will fine you.

I would google salvaging logs or deadhead logging the Tennessee River.  You could also contact the Tennessee Valley Authority for an answer.

mesquite buckeye

Black locust lumber is purdy and as weather resistant as teak. ;D 8) 8) 8)

Also as good firewood as you can get.

One thing: Carbide tipped chain. :)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

ReggieT

Here is the Parks reply via their FB page:Joe Wheeler State Park - You can gather any driftwood in the park. However, we discourage anyone from sawing anything in the park. :snowball:

skinnyest

Im a towboat capt.You wouldn't believe how many pieces those split into then they run through my wheels.....quess I drive the worlds biggest firewood processor,If I only could come up with a way to fish em all out

turnkey

Black Locust is right near the top for firewood on any chart.  That stuff is near eternal, it just doesn't rot, splits easy.  I currently have over 80 cord in my stash that will last me the years I have left and no worries about it deteriorating.  Last season I was burning Locust that I had cut back in either 93 or 96 - as solid as the day I cut it, even the chunks right in ground contact.

Oddly, the roots _do_ rot.  A standing dead locust doesn't remain standing very many years after the top dies.

Harry K

Al_Smith

This river wood kind of makes the news in these parts .The have crews removing those trees which eventually will fall in the rivers locally .These leaners if they find their way into the water will cause jams and flooding .

Now habit and scenery are fine and dandy but why would some authority think flooding is good ?I guess in the realm of politics common sense isn't common is all I can think of .

stumper

Well our flood plains are some of the most ferile ground we have. 

Old Mother Nature does know what she is doing.  We run into problems when we try to bend her to our will.  Be that dredgeing and or damming rivers or building on flood plains, or clear cutting timber, when we want a species that wants shade as a seed and sapling. 

As a forester I learned a long time ago that I acheived my best results when I tried to imitate nature not change it.

Al_Smith

Well since you mentioned it the Mississippi river really isn't a success story .Fact the Blanchard river which goes through Findlay Ohio hasn't worked well either but on a smaller scale than the mighty Miss .

I didn't recall the Blanchard being a big deal until some wizard decided to fill in a flood plain with a zillion cubic  yards of what once was concrete from I-75 over a period of 25 years to develope commercial real estate .Nice business but the people up river are getting a little dampish periodically .

However I don't see that removal of logs from the river plays a big part in all that .

CRThomas

Quote from: OntarioAl on March 16, 2014, 08:32:53 AM
ReggieT
Black Locust is tough stuff.
As to using beached wood they tend to pick up grit that dulls saws very quickly.
Al
°Cotton wood fall in the river and sink to the bottom after a 100 years the get full of gas and float to they come to the top people cut them up and sell the logs they are call blue log very high dollar panelling.

Thank You Sponsors!