iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

rock salt in a stump

Started by thecfarm, April 07, 2014, 08:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

This is a beech stump that I did not want 1000 little beech trees all over the place. I use the saw to cut a bowl into the stump. Rock salt and water is added as needed. When this is first done the stump will really suck up some water. I bring a 5 gallon bucket of water and another bucket with a cover that has the rock salt in it.I fill the bowl with whatever it needs when I check on it. I have about 5-6 poplar stumps I did the same thing with last years. I have been doing this to every poplar I cut down in the old pasture. The deer like to gnaw on the stumps too. The stump will draw in the salt water and helps keep it from producing so many suckers.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jwilly3879

It will also draw in a bunch of hard toed long legged squirrels.

thecfarm

All animals really,is what I should of said.  ;D  They all need it. The deer will lick the dirt road for salt.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Reddog

Just be careful of root graphing, could accidentally kill of a whole grove if you don't realize it.

enigmaT120

I only heard of doing that to attract deer, not to kill the roots.  I paint my stumps with full strength glyphosate to stop them from sprouting back up.  Maybe that only works in the fall, I'm not sure.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

gspren

I just thought of something, in PA if you put salt out for the deer it is considered baiting and you can't hunt near there, now if you put salt on a stump to kill the stump is it still baiting?  ::) That might be a hard argument to win with a game warden.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

thecfarm

My Father taught me the salt trick. And not to attract the deer either. I don't hunt either. Seem like all the trees we did it too was never in the woods,just on the edge of a field. Or right out in the middle of a field by a rock.

jargo432

Here in texas the only thing we've found to kill Mesquite is Remedy.

http://www.keystonepestsolutions.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=223&gclid=CLe2yOHR4L0CFUNo7AodJSsA0w

This stuff is so strong you have to use it only on calm days because the overspray will kill whatever it touches.
Jack of all trades.

clww

Good website link that I just bookmarked. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!