iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Mizer lt30g value

Started by e010198, April 11, 2014, 09:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e010198

It's a 1987 with 14hp kohler 96 actual hours.The mill has not been run in at least 20 yrs; it's parked under shed roof. All unpainted parts are rusted, but frame seems to be okay.
I figure to replace motor and all berings. Owner wants $6000.00 for it.
What would be a ballpark cost to rebuild the mill.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, e010198.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

seems a little high if a complete rebuild is in order, but then again, many used ones have been abused, if the rails are straight, and you are in for such a task, I would go for it.  I would consider the resale value of one like this in a refurbished condition, and go from there.  There are many factors even after the bearings are all replaced, and possible engine replacement.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

mikeb1079

6k is waaay high imo.  i would be offering more like 1-2k tops since it sounds like you're looking at an almost total rebuild.
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

backwoods sawyer

Welcome e010198
Not a whole lot to be conserned about if it only has 96 hrs and lived under covered. Not like it has been thru a fire or a flood or in a wreck.
Surface rust cleans up with ease, few bearings, not a lot of belts and hose to change, check for rats nest in the electrical boxes. Is the motor shot or does it just need a good cleaning to get it to fire up?
I would contact Wood Mizer and get their Orange book value and go from there.  :P
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

dgdrls

Welcome e010198

By description I agree with Mikeb1079, seems high.

20 years of outside and not running didn't do it any favors.
For the added price of a motor, bearings and your time
which you will probably need to invest, you can purchase
a comparable new mill also from a FF sponsor (screen left).

Best
DGDrls

Chuck White

I think I would try to get the engine going and kick it in gear and see how it performs!  If everything moves properly, it should be worth the $6k.

The rust (assuming the main rails & mast rails) can be removed with steel wool, ATF, & elbow grease!  I wouldn't think it would need a complete rebuild!

I feel that if he's asking 6, he'd probably take 5!  Just sayin'!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

For just a little bit more, you can get a brand new LT15 with the 18 HP Kohler. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mikeb1079

QuoteFor just a little bit more, you can get a brand new LT15 with the 18 HP Kohler.

nuff said.
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Magicman

Give WM a call with the S/N.  They can give you the complete history on the sawmill and also an "Orange Book" value.

Here is the LT15 that WDH was referring to;  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!