iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sources for "new" old school tools?

Started by mad murdock, May 15, 2014, 01:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad murdock

I am hunting around for sources for hand woodworking items such as gimlets, and ring auger bits of various sizes.  Lehman's has gimlets, but I cannot find any source for ring auger bits in N. America.  Seems that they are all in GB, or NZ.  some in Japan too.  None handled on this side of the "pond" that i have found yet.  Any leads?? Thanks
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

mad murdock

I guess I put up the white flag too soon.  I found a place near Green Bay that manufactures both, along with a plethora of other good woorworking tools.  For some reason, they don't come up on a search readily. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

MattJ

Mind passing along the name on the supplier?

mad murdock

PM sent.  I will share some pics and my critique of the tools I order.  Nice looking tools!
-Mad Murdock-

yukon cornelius

I would also be interested in the place that sells them. we have been watching(unsuccessfully) for old good tools. my oldest son is 14 and really interested in the way things used to be made. im trying to learn along with him.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

mad murdock

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

mad murdock

The company is ICS Cutting Tools. Didn't think it appropriate to post more than that, out of deference to Jeff.

mad murdock

Well, I got the tools I ordered.  4 sizes of gimlets up to 1/4", and from 3/8" to 1" hand augers, in mostly 1/8" increments, past 1/2" I have only 9/16". 5/8" 3/4" and 1".  Right out of the package, the final finish on the cutting edge and "wings" was a little rough, I finished with a double extra slim saw file to give things a more uniform cutting area.  After that, I tried the 1" on a kiln dried commercial stud piece we had laying around the shop, and it bored through pretty easily, and fed nice,  Not a lot of pressure needed to hand bore a 1" hole.  I am sure in green wood it will work even better.  The Gimlets are easy to use, and for the most part entry/exit holes are mooth with little to no breakout,  same with the augers,  I like the price, and the performance.  Aside from the need to touch up new auger bits to my liking, that is about the only "con" on these tools.  Too bad they dont make a hand auger in larger than 1" dia.   I am thinking after looking through the catalog they sent, I will order a 1 1/2" power auger, and modify the end with a hand screw "eye" so I can do up to that size by hand. 

Phorester

You and your son may already be doing this, but other sources for old hand tools are flea markets, yard sales, and auctions.

There are lots of old tools at a local large flea market held every weekend. On a good weekend (sunny) there's probably 100 or more vendors there. Sometimes the vendors don't know what they have - they just buy a lot of things to resell; they don't know the real value of them, they just want to get more than they paid for them. I've bought old saw sets, handsaw sharpening vises, hand saws of all types, sets of wood borers, augers, old planes, vises, etc., for a song.  Some are in rough shape, but can be repaired/restored with a little effort.

I've found that Estate and farm auctions are good places for old tools, especially if the Estate owner was a woodworker himself.

Another good local place for old tools is an annual steam and tractor show.  Numerous collectors and dealers of old tools will display a vast array of tools.  But they are expensive - these vendors know what they have and want top dollar for it. But you can find rare and unique tools there that you can't find anywhere else outside of Internet sources.

Thank You Sponsors!