iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Filing or dremel tool for sharpening?

Started by wle, May 19, 2014, 05:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wle

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sharkey

Another vote for a file.  Use a guide to help and dont forget to lower the rakers.

Onthesauk

I use a file most of the time but if I get into rocks of something, often use a dremel style to get them even again and clean up the big chips.   Lot quicker then just a file
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

Maine logger88

79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

thecfarm

I use a file. I can bring a chain back from a rock hit. Might take 3-4 filings,but I can get it back to where it will pull itself into the wood again. Now if you gave me a dremel,I would have to relearn all over again. BUT I had someone to watch too.  Don't worry about what to use. Be it a file,dremel or a sharpener. whatever works for you. Just learn to use it and keep that chain sharp!!! :) It took me a few chains to catch on to it. I finally took a good size log and kept at it,until I got the results I wanted.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

IMO a Dremel is okay for repairing a rocked chain ,argumenative most likely,    A  file does better than a grinder in the hands of an expert chain filer as oppossed to a mediore chain grinder . 

jargo432

I have been using a file, only because I couldn't find a guide to use on my dremel.  My dad always used a dremel so I was going to do the same thing but couldn't find a guide.
Jack of all trades.

luvmexfood

Dowhich ever one works best for you. If you continue with dremel then invest in some diamon stones. I got mine off Amazon and thwy werenT that much more expensive than regular stones.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

clww

I'll take a file over a grinder any day.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

sablatnic

File.

Have used a "sharpener" for several years, but not after I've started using a file.

goose63

I have a Oregon grinder but most times I use a file
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

mrcaptainbob

I was at my son's a few years ago and he wanted some wood cut up along with some tree remains still on the stump. He had an old Stihl with a 20" bar. The chain was so worn it would 'cut' the same if it were on backwards! All I had available was a large soft pad grinding disc. Managed to install enough of an edge on them to get the wood cut that day. It was seriously bad. I used to use Dremel, besides it not being an even grind ( I could not keep even enough pressure from tooth to tooth) I did not like the quick wearing down of the stone, changing the diameter of the grind. I'm sure the diamond stones would have been much better. Files are okay for me, but I picked up an Oregon grinder and am pleased with it. I prefer the hook that a file leaves, though. I like the manual carbide model. I have not tried it, but do like it's premise. Appears to me that it would be superior to filing.

shinnlinger

I've been know to chuck a file into my cordless drill to give my chain a quick sharpen after rocking or cutting nails, but I also feel you don't need to work out a nick in one sharpening.  Stick with your usual couple passes and after 3 or 4 times you will be back at it
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Thank You Sponsors!