iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Canadien 270s & Left handed Titan

Started by firewooder, July 04, 2004, 06:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firewooder

Well, been glancing over this forum for a while now and finally decided to ask some questions...
I've been given some old Canadien 270s, 2 go and 2 are in bits.  The runners have been rebuilt by a mechanic friend who has upgraded to a new 066.  I'll just be using them for large poplars too big for my Jonsered 2141.  I've checked out acresinternet for specs.  Does anyone know anything more about these saws?   Were they any good in their day?  I'm also curoius about the magnesium used on these older saws.  I assume it is Magnesium Alloy, but what percentage is magnesium?  I also have a Titan Model 30 which is left handed.  Have checked out the specs for this on acresinternet, but unclear whether all Model 30s were left handed.  Were left handed chainsaws offered by many manufacturers in the 50s?  Just idle curiousity really...

davefrommd

I don't know anything about your saws but you did bring up a good point. What do you think about the older saws being made out of magnesium and the newer saws using lots more plastic. Do you think plastic is better because of it being lighter. dave

sawguy21

The Canadian was built by Power  Machinery in Vancouver B.C. It was a good durable saw for its time and was last sold as a Skil, I believe th 1629 model. Still keep showing up for service in our shop.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!