iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm new!

Started by CrimsonCutter, July 02, 2014, 01:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcg

Welcome to the forum. There are an incredible number  of knowledgeable and helpful folks here at the forum.
Seems like there will be a new use for the slabs after you get your mill.
Chicken Roasting

bandmiller2

CC if sawdust is of good value to your operation consider setting up a handset circular mill they will produce much more and courser sawdust than a band. Something like a Belsaw  would be easy to drive from your tractor. There are many old mill laying fallow around the countryside, ask around. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

giant splinter

Welcome CC,
Frank beat me to that one on the sawdust, He hit the nail on the head with circular mills being the unchallenged champion of sawdust production. I sure like the way those mills cut and the telltale saw marks are the give away, if you can use the sawdust thats a plus, after switching to a band mill I realized that the thin kerf blades turned out a minimum amount of sawdust and it easy to work by yourself if you need to. Nice photo of your mill shed and it should take you a while to "grow out of that one" ..... I see your pickup mirror in that shot, Hmmmm is that considered a drive by shooting  ;D.
roll with it

dboyt

CC, welcome to the forum.  Some of the poultry operations around here buy bundles of slabs for heating, too, though I'm guessing that isn't a huge issue for you.  Best of luck with your sawmill adventure.  I live 20 miles south of Joplin, MO, also hit by a tornado in 2011.  Amazing the damage they can do.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

CrimsonCutter

Thanks for the info Frank and Giant. Forgive my ignorance but is there a difference between bel saw, handset and a circular mill or are the all the same thing?  Secondly anyone have any good plans for building one or good links? Thanks in advance! And yes that was a drive by shooting lol I was in my "paid for" 1988 ford farm truck I call it my FCV (farm command vehicle) :)
If your not learning...your not living!

CrimsonCutter

Thanks DBoyt. Joplin,mo got hit right after us very bad for the both up us!  Unbelievable the power of Mother Nature !! Heating is always an issue for a poultry farm , it's our number 1 expense.  The more I look into a mill the better I like how it could benefit and compliment what I am already doing :)

mad murdock

Welcome CC!  Sounds like the idea mill is churning in overdrive now!! Just think, you own sawdust, your own slabs and bark(hog fuel), add a wood gasifier, and you can have heat and independent power production. The possibilities are endless 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Magicman

Hello and Welcome to the Forestry Forum, CrimsonCutter.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: mad murdock on July 05, 2014, 10:05:24 AM
Welcome CC!  Sounds like the idea mill is churning in overdrive now!! Just think, you own sawdust, your own slabs and bark(hog fuel), add a wood gasifier, and you can have heat and independent power production. The possibilities are endless 8)
Yeh but at some point he may want some boards out of the logs as well. ;D
Welcome crimson cutter.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

bandmiller2

CC, Belsaw is just one brand of circular saw probably the most basic and common mill. They were advertised as a one man farm type mill quite easy to set up and operate. Today theres little price difference between a "B" saw and a heavier duty mill like a Corley or Frick, but they will require a better heavier foundation. Ask around there are more old mill out there than you think. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

CrimsonCutter

Ok thanks for the clarification band miller. I want a stationary mill anyways so heavy foundation not a problem. I was an Air Force bratt and when we moved to Alabama my dad decided we would build our own house. We went to a neighbor and cut the lumber on his circular saw mill.  I can remember as a kid stacking boards!  That thing had a huge deisel motor on it. It was only quarter of a mile from my current location. Its gone though I checked. I'm guessing after he passed his kids sold it. :/

Thank You Sponsors!