iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What I've been sawing

Started by ozarkgem, July 08, 2014, 08:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkgem

Here is some Cedar lumber and beams I have been sawing to get my house finished up. The large stack is for the ceiling.

Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Magicman

Nice.  You gonna T&G the ceiling or ??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

That stuff makes nice interior walls and ceilings for sure, can't wait to see the finish, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

CrimsonCutter

Nice! That should last forever. Will you put it up raw or put some kind of finisher on it like polyeurathane?
If your not learning...your not living!

ozarkgem

Quote from: CrimsonCutter on July 08, 2014, 09:20:57 AM
Nice! That should last forever. Will you put it up raw or put some kind of finisher on it like polyeurathane?
Lacquer. dries faster
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

ozarkgem

Quote from: Magicman on July 08, 2014, 08:11:58 AM
Nice.  You gonna T&G the ceiling or ??
If I had a good way to T&G it that is what I would do. Not sure yet. At least take the router and put a bevel edge on it.

Missouriwildman

Thats awesome looking. Will make a great finish. I plan on doing the same thing. What you going to do with the second stack? I see some cedars with one slab off and one quarter sawn. You still sawing on these or are you going to use the whole log on something? I'm going to do a bedroom in cedar like that and am looking for some unique ideas. I've got tons of cedar about the same size you're sawing.
On order Timberking 1600 , 25 hp diesel, TK blade sharpener and setter. JD 5210 with 540 loader and 5 ton Braden 3 point winch for skidding timber. Bobcat S160 turbo hi flow with loader forks. Chainsaws ms 200t , ms 210, ms 250, ms 390, can't hook, Log waggon and other stuff..I love stuf

Alligator

Shouldn't be a bug on the whole premises. They hate that stuff. In my previous house I had an accent wall that split a 16' wall and ran on 45s to the middle and framed around the edges an down the middle with 1x4, using random widths on the 45. All in rough sawn.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

Magicman

The V groove look is nice.  I could shrink a bit so I would want it to dry before installing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

oh here it comes  :D try to keep your stickers going straight up above the last one,also i would like to see one more sticker per row. with cedar its probably fine but, other woods are less forgiving.
sorry i'm very anal about stickering lumber :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

ozarkgem

Quote from: red oaks lumber on July 08, 2014, 01:02:59 PM
oh here it comes  :D try to keep your stickers going straight up above the last one,also i would like to see one more sticker per row. with cedar its probably fine but, other woods are less forgiving.
sorry i'm very anal about stickering lumber :)
I was wondering when the sticker police were going to show up  :D
I need a photo shop so I could fix the stickers in the pic and make them perfect.
The cedar won't be much of a problem. The logs are 2 1/2 yrs old. 15-18% moisture
I will be putting them up pretty soon.

ozarkgem

Quote from: Missouriwildman on July 08, 2014, 10:14:59 AM
Thats awesome looking. Will make a great finish. I plan on doing the same thing. What you going to do with the second stack? I see some cedars with one slab off and one quarter sawn. You still sawing on these or are you going to use the whole log on something? I'm going to do a bedroom in cedar like that and am looking for some unique ideas. I've got tons of cedar about the same size you're sawing.
I will put the ceiling boards up (8' long) then at the joints I will fasten the cedar logs that have the one flat on them. The ones with 2 flats will go in the corners. One flat against the ceiling and the other fits against the wall. Looks like half a log. Hopefully it will look like supporting Cedar beams. I will put counter bored holes in inconspicuous places (hopefully) and use log cabin screws to hold the logs up. Maybe a dowel rod to fill the hole. I will see how it looks. Maybe a piece of Cedar branch in the hole. I will power wash the logs first and finish them before putting them up.

Thank You Sponsors!