iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Postsaver Sleeves

Started by BCMac, July 09, 2014, 01:10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCMac

Has anyone had any experience with Postsaver sleeves? They appear to be a UK company and the product seems to be some kind of plastic sleeve impregnated with tar that you heat onto the pole/post in lieu of other treatment methods.

As I have a lot of fence to put up to build the horse paddocks and keep their pasture separate from the cows, I was looking to mill my own posts from our timber but I am struggling to find an available and effective treatment method. Not keen on the diesel/motor oil combo, and we don't have any of the black locust and other woods I have seen recommended for fence posts.

Anyone familiar with the Postsaver sleeves or hear anything about them one way or the other?

Mac

LeeB

Took me a while to find it, but here is an old thread with some info about them.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,72305.msg1090726.html#msg1090726
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

BCMac

Thanks. I'm guessing if these things worked particularly well there would be a lot more chatter about them.

luvmexfood

Personally I would think you would be money and time ahead to just purchase some treated fence posts. Just don't cut them. I read somewhere awhile back on a manufactures page that the treating only goes in a couple inches and if you trim, sharpen or cut then you expose untreated wood.

Might be okay on the top and put tar or something on it but the bottom would act as a wick. Something I do and it may not help but when I service car, truck or equipment is to pour all the oil out of the old filter and then set on a fence post. What oil seeps out slowly seeps into the top of the post. Granted I only get a few a year but every little bit helps.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

r.man

I recall reading about farmers/ranchers treating their own stakes decades ago with a copper type mineral. I think the slang name was bluestone and it referred to copper sulphate. I believe it is water soluble and that they kept a barrel of dissolved material to soak stakes/posts in for later use.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Thank You Sponsors!