iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sell my logs or pay to have them sawn

Started by marktx, July 11, 2014, 07:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marktx

I had 4 large red oaks blown down and my 18" Husq isn't big enough to get through these big trees.  I talked to a saw mill who said he will buy them, but didn't give me a price. 
How much (per bf) is a #2 grade 24" dia x 12 ft logs worth?
as a logs?
as 1" planks?
as 1" planed boards - 2 sides ?
Or should I leave them in 3 and 6" beams? 
I am interested in learning more about harvesting timber and maybe build a homemade band saw.

BargeMonkey

Decent #2 oak up here is paying 450-550 a mbft, I dont know southern wood prices. Depends what the guy has for a mill, and whats the scale is. A 12' log, 24" on the small end is 300bft doyle. Remember,  your sawing 5/4 to make 1" planed lumber. Depends how many boards and beams you want, anything with sweep to it will retain the sweep when sawn, we watch them spring off the mill sometimes.

thenorthman

Do you have a use for the lumber?  If yes, have them milled for the use, if no sell em, not doing anybody any good rotting in the back yard.
well that didn't work

treeslayer2003

well now, remember that who ever gets those to the mill is not going to do it for free..........4 trees are not worth a whole lot as they sit now. you are not going to get rich on those four "golden trees"
be realistic, that would be about a half trailer load for me and i wouldn't want to move a loader in for half a load and pay you half what they are worth.

CCC4

+1 slayer Mike, I wouldn't think a mill or logging group would even consider 4 trees.

OP...ya might find a local guy with portable bandsaw to come out and saw them up for you, I think around ere they get about .25 to .32 a brdft. I take it you don't burn wood? That would be a good start to this Winter's wood if you did. You should have zero trouble working up a 24" tree with an 18" bar.

marktx

Thanks to all for the feedback.   I am leaning toward hiring a portable band saw.
Approx how much are 5/4 rough cut planks worth (per bf)?   

I am interested in learning more about harvesting timber and maybe build a homemade band saw.

Clark

Quote from: marktx on July 13, 2014, 11:14:59 PM
Thanks to all for the feedback.   I am leaning toward hiring a portable band saw.
Approx how much are 5/4 rough cut planks worth (per bf)?   

It seems like you are chasing the thought of making a couple bucks off your trees. There is nothing wrong with that but there are so many variables to just this question that it is impossible to give an accurate answer. I've bought 4/4, planed oak for 50ยข/bdft and I've bought it for $3/bdft.  It depends on the market, what grade of lumber it is, planed or not, kiln dried or air dried and who you are selling to.

If the trees are in ok shape, and leaving oak on the stump an extra year usually isn't a problem, I would suggest finding a market that will buy your lumber or logs and then work backwards to see what sort of profit there is for you.  It's a fun challenge and you'll learn a lot in the process.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Thank You Sponsors!