iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Incorporating Live Edge Timbers In Your Frame

Started by BCsaw, August 02, 2014, 01:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCsaw

I am curious as to the various methods that some of the FF members use for layout when incorporating a live edge timber into a frame. Love the look so this is something I must learn! Pictures would help.Thanks.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

witterbound

We snapped a level line on both flat sides of our beams, and then did the layout from there, assuming the beam was a regular 8x12 or whatever.  The only difference I can recall, its been a while, was the depth of the housing as it varied depending on the size of the live edge.

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

BCsaw

WB, that is what I was thinking but wanted to hear it from someone who actually employed this.

JR, Thanks for putting up the links. My search skills just aren't sharp enough!

Jim, when you laid out the corner braces, you mentioned that you used a straight edge to get a reference line. Did you transfer this line onto the brace or snap a chalk line etc?

Thanks for your help.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: BCsaw on August 02, 2014, 11:03:31 AM
Jim, when you laid out the corner braces, you mentioned that you used a straight edge to get a reference line. Did you transfer this line onto the brace or snap a chalk line etc?

We used the straight edge to connect the two ends of the hypotenuse of the brace layout right triangle. The piece of wood was curved so we didn't have any wood to snap a line onto. We used the "points" to reference where the ends of the line would be, if there was wood there to snap the one onto. And then the straight edge was used to lay a 45° triangle against to then draw the shoulder line of the brace. The straight edge piece of steel was a temporary hypotenuse to reference off of.

Hope that helps

Bottom line of using round edge or curved pieces is to "pretend" they are straight.

Jim Rogers

BCsaw

Much more clear now. Thanks for the help.

When using logs with 2 flat sides and 2 live edges, we found the centre point at each end and snapped a chalk line. We then used this line to reference the cutting of half dovetail notches. I can only assume this would be the same route for incorporating a live edge timber that is not a corner brace. That is what I take from witterbound's post. Sound correct?

Jim_Rogers

danreed76

When we built our little pump house "wishing well", we used a live edge 4x6 for the ridge.  To do this, I selected the top of the beam (opposite the live edge) as the reference face, and measured down to mark the cut lines for the housings.  Then I cut the housing out and marked the cut lines for the mortise using a framing square against the adjacent face.  So essentially we ended up with two housings of different depths when viewed from the live edge but identical when measured from the reference face.

Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

BCsaw

Nice touch there DR76.

Wishing well looks good! ;D

Thank You Sponsors!