iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Animal Inns

Started by Ron Scott, February 23, 2002, 10:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Similiar to Jeff's wall plaque made from his Florida wood but these are real life. Raccoons in white Oak Tree
~Ron

Tom

Good shot, Scott.

Yeah, but this one looks like real coons in a real, tied-to-the-ground tree. Tell me how how you sneaked up on them.

Ron Scott

Purcupine's Home

Den in American Beech Tree

~Ron

Ron Scott

The young raccoons were looking up at me as I went up to the tree to measure and mark it for harvest in a selection cut. The tree was left as an "Animal Inn".
~Ron

Tom

We were sawing today in a small swamp on private land that the logging crew just moved off of this morning.  The logs were being cut into 2x6, 2x8 and 6x8 for a barn.  

We were stacking and stickering the lumber and beams about 40 feet behind the mill.  Towards the end of the day, we looked up and saw to our horror, not 15 feet from the lumber, this.  

Got to go back tomorrow and finish.

Frank_Pender

On our Tree Farm we call them "critter trees".  We have three pair of Pillated (sp) woodpeckers that come to nest in some of the 200 year old (plus) Oak  that have deteriated to snag status.  I saw the first one of the season yesterday.  They are truly fun to watch hack away at a tree.  :D The chips really fly whenthey work for the bugs.  
Frank Pender

timberbeast

Gotta like them Pilated 'peckers.  They let you know which trees are full of ants!  Got a big Spruce blowdown on my land,  roots sticking up all over.  Been a female Black bear denning there the last two years.  I wear my .44 Mag when I cut,  just in case I get between her and the cubs by accident,  I figure I might as well have one quick chance to live.  Have seen their tracks lots,  but thankfully they are shy animals,  as long as they don't bother me,  they can have that tree!
Where the heck is my axe???

Ron Scott

Wildlife Openings
Provide for and manage wildlife openings in your woodland.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Wetlands for Wildlife
Don't forget the wetlands.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Woodpecker's Tree Red Maple tree being worked on in transition zone with red pine plantation.

~Ron

woodman

Grate photo's here in the city all we see is some black ants when i cut in red oak. It shure looks nice out there though.
Jim Cripanuk

Ron Scott

The oak trees are favorites for "Animal Inns" even in the city. Look them over closely for their wildlife benefits if you don't need to harvest the tree. I realize that some will be "hazard trees, especially in communities, public campgrounds etc. and need to be removed.

I'm working an oak stand now which will provide some more Animal Inn photos.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Skunk Den in Hollow Hard Maple Log. Note tracks in snow around den.

~Ron

Jeff

A yep. thats one id be saving allright.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

A little story along with this one. The skunk must have come out of recent hibernation. A coyote was hot on its trail right from the den, but I don't know the outcome and couldn't get follow up pictures of the story.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Grey Squirrel Den Tree. Den in black oak tree. Tree left as Wildlife Tree on timber harvest site.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Flying Squirrel Den. 15 feet up in white oak tree.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Flying Squirrel Den. In white Oak Tree, closer view.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Protecting Animal Inn. Skidder Operator protects Animal Inn at wood's landing.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Cavity Trees, Black Cherry. Twin black cherry trees provide cavities and mast for wildlife.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Woodpecker Tree, Aspen. An Aspen tree favored by the woodpecker. Aspen usually aren't designated as a favored wildlife den, snag, cavity, or mast tree since they are short lived in the ecosystem. They are left standing however when active use is being made of them such as this one.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Woodpecker Tree, White Pine. White pine becomes woodpecker tree after lightning strike.

~Ron

Ron Scott

American Beech Clump. Left for Wildlife Mast and Cavities.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Log Landing Improves Habitat. A hollow American beech log was left on the log landing, up off ground slightly, with uprooted stump from landing clearing placed behind it. The landing was seeded with a wildlife food mixture after closure of the timber sale. Wildlife food sources and cover provided.

~Ron

CHARLIE

Ron, I find it interesting at how much thought you put into leaving homes for animals when you are picking trees for harvesting.  I'm enjoying this thread. :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!