iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Animal Inns

Started by Ron Scott, February 23, 2002, 10:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Hollow Black Oak Logs. These will be left on the timber harvest area to become "Animal Inns". Kendziorski Hardwood Sale; December 2002.

~Ron

beenthere

Those hollow logs look like perfect furniture parts for Jeff  :D ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

Hey, you're right. Jeff may want to take a look at them, especially the one wouldn't take much work and access to them is good.
~Ron

Jeff

Hey RON! Is it possible for you to grab that for me? 34 inch chunks works pretty good. Just need to have a solid shell.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

Jeff,

Maybe you would want to look at the logs if up this way for any interested use and determine cuts. They're a bit heavy and the forwarder has left the area. They're on an oak/aspen harvest area just completed east of Lake City on Vandermullen Road.
~Ron

Jeff

can a pick up get to them Ron?

Ron Scott

Pretty close. We might have to carry the cut blocks a little. Let me know if you want to come up this way and I'll give you a hand.

These are black oak if that matters any.
~Ron

Jeff

I was going to suggest this weekend, but my new truck had a break down. I went to my Aunt's funeral today and something let go in the back brake. I don't know if its a spring or what. Loud rubbing brinding sound when I apply the break, but no pulse or odd feel to the pedal. The noice gets louder the slower I go but disappears as soon as I let up on the brake. Almost lke the lining dissapeared. By the time I got back from clio I was afraid to step on them. They work fine but sound feirce.

Ron Scott

The brakes will need to be checked first. Sounds like the linings are maybe worn.
~Ron

Ron Scott

Deer Wintering in the Swamp. Note 3 deer looking at you. Timber sale preparation; Sweet property, Clare County, Michigan; January, 2003.

~Ron

Don P

Here's a couple that are freezer bound if they don't lay off the shrubbery, they stripped a group of rhodies in the last snow and tipped over some tree cages to nip the shoots.

Jeff, we had a hollow tree up on the cliff a few years back that was about 2/3 of the circle. I kept meaning to bring it down and install shelves in as a corner curio cabinet, it was down last time I went up so guess I missed the chance. Just a thought for another piece to add to your furniture line.

Ron Scott

Nature' Way. The skeletal remains of this buck deer were found on a timber harvest area. It had been eaten clean by coyotes and other critters of the wild.

~Ron

Tom

Craftsman who make native American crafts prize the skulls and some of the bones of horses and cows.  I've given some to one of the craftsman here and he was elated.   He told me that horse skulls are revered above all the others.

Does anyone know if this is universally true and whether those bones of other wild animals would find a place in native American craft/lore?

If it is true,  then those who ply the woods in their regular job may be able to make a dollar or a friend by putting some of this stuff in the back of their pickup.

Bro. Noble

Tom,

I think I heard something about the 'jawbone of an ass' being handy for something.  I forget where I heard that.  :P ;)

Noble

milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

Yeah, I heard about that too.  It was written up in some diminutive book and reported to have made a heck of a weapon in those days.  Do you reckon they went through a spell after it was used of getting the citizenry to register their Ass Jawbones? :)

Tom

In a scrap pile of old oak cut-offs and left-over, unsplit firewood, an animal has scratched the center from the end of a rotted log to make a home.  My bet is that it is a coon.  This would make a project one night when I'm doing nothing.  Get me a chair, some libation and the camera, set up close by and wait for whatever it is. ;D

CHARLIE

Be careful if you do that Tom.  Might just be....The Swamp Creature!!!!! :o  His arm might just come out of that hole in the log, grab you and pull you in. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

I've been trainin' Charlie. One thing he'll have to deal with is my alertnes and quickness.  I've developed unbelievable speed.  The other thing is that I have consciously developed a girth much larger than that hole. ;D  It's been a chore but I've managed. ;)

Ron Scott

Wildlife Snag & Cavity Tree. Tree was designated to be left undamaged during a selective thinning of the red pine pole stand. Piotrowski timber harvest 3/03.

~Ron

Jeff

Whats in it? Beetles? ;)

Ron Scott

Whatever wants to be; especially with the black bear claw marks on it. It was active with woodpeckers, squirrels, and and occassional hawk and owl.
~Ron

redpowerd

Quotesaw to our horror, not 15 feet from the lumber, this.  
[HOWIN DO YA GET THEM NESTS DOWN WITHOUT DESTROYIN EM?

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Tom

Ha!  I'd forgotten about stacking our lumber under those guys. :D

redpowerd

I GOTTA GET MY CAMERA WORKIN! i got one of those big flyin incect dwellins up some 40 feet into a nice maple. how do i retreive? the mape aint that old.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

redpowerd

oh, yea, glad to freshen the ol square tom, but uhhh.............. i wanna hang it on the wall!!!!
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Thank You Sponsors!