iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Attitude adj needed - cant part with tools/toys to get organized shop space

Started by chainsaw_louie, September 01, 2014, 12:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chainsaw_louie

I need some advice  from those of you who have organized workspaces......and adding more space is not an option until I can manage the space and tools I currently have .

My 'shop'  (25x25) 2 car garage is more non-functional storage than 'work' space
I often use the top of the chest freezer as a work table because it is clear of clutter and must remain that way.
When I try to find things to get rid of ,  there is often this inner voice that says ' hey, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush......keep that ...you used it and will want to use it again and you will be sad if you get rid of it ..."

Many of the things in the garage have value ,  stationary wood working tools, car maint tools ,  hard wood, paint supplys .  But there has to be a better way....i just cant get there  .

thecfarm

I am the same way. But I have all the answers. ;D  Things need to be put on walls. Be it build shelves or just drive in nails and hand rakes,shovels,timmers whatever you feel is good. You spoke about using the top of the freezer for a work space. How about a hinged top to work off from for that? Yes,you would have to clean it off and lift the tp to get into the freezer too. Build a cabinet? I have trusses in my garage. Do you?Lots of room up there to put stuff. Put stuff on some wheels,good wheels too. That way it could be put away when not in use. It really boils down to taking care of stuff when we are done with it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Finding a place for things is a must...whether you have a 25 x 25 or a 60 x 60.......you're gonna fill it up with "stuff". Thats just the way we are!  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hardtailjohn

I'm terrible too....but my Grandpa used to say, "when I want a tool, I should be able to look down and find it" haha...  I have discovered that more cabinets (easy to find on craigslist or local want ads, when someone does a kitchen remodel) make it alot easier!  Sometimes I catch myself getting in a hurry and not putting tools away, and have to remind myself... a place for everything, and everything in it's place... my biggest problem is with scraps...too big to throw away, but too small to use easily.... that's a real toughie for me!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

coxy

at least im not alone ;D       lets see 35x40 shop very little to no room for 4 wheeler   3 8x14 truck bodys cant even walk in it but know whats there  tools on floor walls and benches    think its time for us to build bigger shops and bigger shops need bigger toys  :D :D :D  and please can some one tell my wife that  :D

Cedarman

My solution is that I just quit worrying about it.  Close my eyes and the mess is gone.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Roxie

Cowboy Bob's solution is to add another outside shed for tool and parts storage.  Somehow he knows where everything he owns is located.  For example, yesterday he ran out of the tape used to put through his label maker.  He said, "there is more in the basement."  I spend hours in the basement doing laundry, and had very serious doubts that his tape was down there.  Why would it be downstairs when the label maker never leaves the office?  But sure enough, he came upstairs with a pack of three more tapes.  ::)
Say when

dgdrls

sketch out what you really want to have in the shop and place the
big items using grid paper and measure out stuff.

Then incorporate work surface with storage underneath.
Store "scrap" wood outside in a rack with a cover,
put a little wood burner in the corner and the true wood scraps will disappear!

I wish I had your problem  :D

Best
DGDrls

Thank You Sponsors!